LuisCarrillo91

LuisCarrillo91

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
So I picked up my truck and they replaced the battery and did a recall on the touchscreen. My service advisor wasn’t present when I picked up my truck so the only answer I got as of now was that my truck has a faulty battery and software recall. I left a voicemail to have my service advisor call me back to see if I can get a more detailed answer. If they give me more information what caused this, I will let everyone know.
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Thx for posting. Good to know information.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Interesting it appears that there might be a bad batch of batteries or that something is providing a draw. My dealer told me that had a truck on the rail yard with a bad battery that was causing it not to be delivered.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
So I picked up my truck and they replaced the battery and did a recall on the touchscreen. My service advisor wasn’t present when I picked up my truck so the only answer I got as of now was that my truck has a faulty battery and software recall. I left a voicemail to have my service advisor call me back to see if I can get a more detailed answer. If they give me more information what caused this, I will let everyone know.
Thanks for the follow up. Glad they gave you a new battery and I hope that remedies your problem. I’ll keep this in mind if I see a second issue with my battery.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I always wondered since the news showed thousands of F150 outside.if:

1. Were they really @ full charge off the production line?
2.The actual time they sit post-production until they arrived at local dealership.
3. We all know from the news the two plants - Dearborn & Kansas there were thousands of F150 sitting for software. Wonder if any F150’s slipped by without software update?

Sponsored

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
"I contend that there really isn’t anything on these trucks that you can “leave on”. Everything turns off on its own automatically".
Technically a there's draw on the battery 24/7 because our trucks are "listening" for signals from our keyfobs, wifi for updates, approach as were walking near the truck etc. I imagine this could add up to a dead battery over time, but not as fast as the OP of this thread,

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Regular 'wet' batteries are produced in lots of about 300.
Very easily end up with a lot or two of bad batteries.

Low water levels in the charging tanks can overheat the batteries and they will still pass a QC check
A jolt of reverse polarity upon starting the charge can do the same thing.
Battery cases that have not been introduced to a charge within 30 minutes of filling will also cause issues. (Must immediately be charged upon filling with the acid)

A batch of bad batteries is not so uncommon as one would think.
How many of y'all have had a new battery fail within 6mo to a year?

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I never had a new - store purchased one go bad in 6 months, year etc.. mine averaged 4 yrs before replacing.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I never had a new - store purchased one go bad in 6 months, year etc.. mine averaged 4 yrs before replacing.
I lived in Phoenix for 10 years----now in South Texas.
I've only had a few batteries last that long.
But I've also had several that did not make it a year here in Texas.
But--Phoenix and the heat--took batteries out on a regular basis.
I keep close tabs on the battery in the Ranger---I get it's health checked every six months.
It does not get a lot of use, but it is the "Back Up" car and it must start when all the others won't.
I think last year---only put about 900 miles on it.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes , understand. My vehicles are garage kept - no prolong outside parking and North Carolina temps with heat index will get up to 100-102 on rare occasions. Average high summer temps may get to 97.

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
When I sold my RV a few years ago the batteries were 9 years old, and still held a consistently strong charge and were 100% reliable. This included 2 large "house" batteries and an engine battery.

I used a BatteryMinder Charger / Maintainer / Desulfator, stored them indoors during the winter season, and always made sure the fluid level was good (distilled water).

My friend replaced his RV batteries every year because they "went bad", but he had no idea you had to properly care and maintain them.

RV batteries are used quite a bit differently than an automotive battery, but a modern sealed auto battery should require zero maintenance if used on a regular basis.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
I got the "your vehicle is in a deep sleep" message this morning on the app after the truck has been parked for 2 days. It started fine though. I need to check the health of the battery later.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I got the "your vehicle is in a deep sleep" message this morning on the app after the truck has been parked for 2 days. It started fine though. I need to check the health of the battery later.
I did some Googling and it seems like the message can happen without a battery issue. The message also mentions sitting for two weeks or in very cold weather.

One thing I read online suggests that if the app can't connect to the car it assumes the modem is off (which happens when the car is in deep sleep) even if the car is not in deep sleep. This can happen if the car is parked somewhere with a poor cell coverage or in a garage where the signal is blocked.

In general the story seems to be If the car unlocks and starts normally (and assuming that the battery tests ok) the car is probably fine.

Last edited:

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
I've been testing my battery over the past couple days. Down to 11.1Volts and 20% capacity. Either something is draining this battery down or its a bad battery. Truck will be 1 week old on saturday.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
6 Day old truck is dead in my garage. Very upset and dealership is going to get an earful this morning. Has a "parking brake error, service now" and 9Volts, 20mca in the battery.

Not off to a good start with ford.
Sponsored