Sponsored

Chris Farley made me laugh. Jim Farley made me cry.

Highlander

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current: 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited,
Occupation
engineer
I ordered my 2021 F-150 in early September, back when Hackett was still the CEO.

Loaded Platinum.

I was told just last week that I finally have a VIN (but I myself don't actually have that VIN yet...) with no dates at all for "sticker", "blend", build (which may or may not include: install 3/4 axle- the secret one that nobody knows about, provide the elusive max towing package- maybe with the secret axles?, fix windshield, install missing chip modules, spray on bonus undercarriage rust...) or ship. Let alone delivery- to determine when I can take the truck next to have a bedliner sprayed in since that now also seems to be an overwhelming production activity for a Ford assembly plant.

I can't wait any longer - it's spring and I have to make several moves with a boat (bought in October), load a slide in (bought in October) for several COVID work trips, haul some landscaping materials, and relocate an office- and I'm now forced to buy a used F-250 (or a 2500). So if there ever is a delivery, and I do accept it, it will possibly be my second Ford.

But it will also be my last.

Is there any other consumer products company that cares even less about their paying customers?
Sponsored

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
You do understand that the problems you are having are not brand specific right or even vehicle specific ? There is a shortage on everything right now and no matter what brand you pick you will have the same problems.

I ordered a RV that should have been here a week ago and they are now telling me I might see it in a month or so. I ordered a couch first week of November that there is still no word on. Welcome to a Covid world.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
You do understand that the problems you are having are not brand specific right or even vehicle specific ? There is a shortage on everything right now and no matter what brand you pick you will have the same problems.

I ordered a RV that should have been here a week ago and they are now telling me I might see it in a month or so. I ordered a couch first week of November that there is still no word on. Welcome to a Covid world.
You are exactly right. This isn't Ford specific. In all reality, we are just now starting to feel the effects of the supply chain disruptions from many months ago. I don't think it's right to place the entire blame on Ford. Remember, Ford was one of the companies that had the Defense Production Act thrown at them while also having to deal with all the other shortages.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I took my boat in for service back in November just after I put in the order for my truck. They were telling me that the wait time on ordering new boats is 8-12 months, even those that were supposed to be delivered are waiting in a warehouse somewhere back east just waiting for windshield glass because supply chain issues is causing a delay in that. Imagine waiting 12 months for a boat you ordered because the vendor can't find glass.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I took my boat in for service back in November just after I put in the order for my truck. They were telling me that the wait time on ordering new boats is 8-12 months, even those that were supposed to be delivered are waiting in a warehouse somewhere back east just waiting for windshield glass because supply chain issues is causing a delay in that. Imagine waiting 12 months for a boat you ordered because the vendor can't find glass.
Client of mine is in the boat/rv loan origination business. He hit numbers this past year unlike anything he's ever seen. It's all starting to play out now. So many people happy to borrow/put down money on new boats, RV's, and of course, F150's. @mrtrav is right. Everyone is now dealing with the supply chain interruptions coupled with tremendous demand. Lots of ripples out there affecting each of these industries.

Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
All of you saying "it's not just Ford" seem to have missed the fact that the OP ordered in September! People who ordered much later have received their trucks. And the chip shortages were not an issue until the last couple of months.

There's no excuse for making a customer wait this long.

OP
OP

Highlander

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
All of you saying "it's not just Ford" seem to have missed the fact that the OP ordered in September! People who ordered much later have received their trucks. And the chip shortages were not an issue until the last couple of months.

THAT's my point! Its like going to a restaurant for dinner before a show, ordering the special, watching a smaller group arrive/order/get served the daily special before you and then.... have the server tell you an hour after you've ordered and an hour before the show starts that they are out of the daily special .... and that the kitchen is closed. Love all you Ford folks- you've been a great help and comfort during these trying times and I admire your loyalty. I just need a truck.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology

I agree with you to a certain point @SBrentnall but I feel we don't have the entire story here also. The is OPs first post here and he states he ordered in Sept but no VIN until March? There may be more to this story than we know, like maybe the dealer goofed up.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Trust me, Ford absolutely wants to sell more trucks. Agree with others that these are downstream effects of COVID.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

Do you really think they aren't building trucks because they want to piss off a customer? Ford doesn't make money by NOT building trucks. Some trucks get built quicker because of content - they have parts available. Some trucks get built quicker because certain (higher volume) dealers earn additional allocation and low volume dealers have low allocation numbers which delays orders. Each truck has somewhere around 30,000 individual parts and all it takes is potentially 1 part that is only sourced from 1 specialty supplier to stop a truck from being scheduled.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there are shortages of many products. I typically do special orders for my new vehicles. This time, I found a truck that met my wants and needs on a dealership lot. It'll be a year before the ordering delays pretty much go away.

Sponsored

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Maybe the dealer goofed, or maybe he has an item on his order that is holding things up. I ordered in mid October, changed the order in early January to eliminate an item that was a known issue, and got my VIN 2 weeks after that. I just took delivery last week. You are right... multiple factors at work here, but except for a possible dealer screw-up, the rest are all covid related supply chain issues in one form or another.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I agree with other posters here and I am far from a fan boy, see my comments regarding rust on other f150forum. Most likely dealer goofed and you ordered items that or not avaliable. I purposely avoided items that had low or no availability. I ordered my Plat on 1/7, I got a vin 2 weeks later. My vehicle went into production on 3/19 and looks like it will sit for weeks, waiting on parts that are in low supply.

The rust is on Ford, though your dealer, new generation of F-150, and supply chain issues from Covid-19 are all in play. I would just look for a similar equipped truck on the lot if I were you.

OP
OP

Highlander

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
I ordered my 2021 F-150 in early September, back when Hackett was still the CEO.

Loaded Platinum.

I was told just last week that I finally have a VIN (but I myself don't actually have that VIN yet...) with no dates at all for "sticker", "blend", build (which may or may not include: install 3/4 axle- the secret one that nobody knows about, provide the elusive max towing package- maybe with the secret axles?, fix windshield, install missing chip modules, spray on bonus undercarriage rust...) or ship. Let alone delivery- to determine when I can take the truck next to have a bedliner sprayed in since that now also seems to be an overwhelming production activity for a Ford assembly plant.

I can't wait any longer - it's spring and I have to make several moves with a boat (bought in October), load a slide in (bought in October) for several COVID work trips, haul some landscaping materials, and relocate an office- and I'm now forced to buy a used F-250 (or a 2500). So if there ever is a delivery, and I do accept it, it will possibly be my second Ford.

But it will also be my last.

Is there any other consumer products company that cares even less about their paying customers?
Well, as an update, my Platinum arrived on August 10th- more than 11 months after ordered. Everything works well (so far) and I'm very pleased with the truck. Love the colour combination (smoked quartz). Immediately on arrival I had a Rhino spray-in bedline installed (offsite) and had the dealer install wheel liners and undercoat. I've also got an UnderCover ArmorFlex tri-fold cover on order. Snow tires are next. Too bad Ford couldn't have provided some of these upgrades over the past 11 months, especially the bed liner and wheel well liners, but I've probably got some better quality upgrades. In the meantime, my Highlander (2008, Hybrid Limited) hit 600,000 km. It needed about $4,000 to pass a safety but I sold it for $3,000 as is. The F-250 goes next. Thank you forum members for your input over the past year- has been invaluable. Happy and safe motoring.
Sponsored