• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chapman and Granger Lightning allocation?

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
It's hard to imagine how a company with as much resources as Ford could both underestimate demand so badly and completely foul up selecting suppliers for critical parts is astonishing.
And not only did they severely underestimate demand once, but apparently lightning struck twice! At least this time they admitted that they had no clue demand would be this high, although I'm not sure how that miss happened. Are they out of touch with consumers?
Sponsored

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
I'd probably pay a bit over MSRP if it ensured I got in on the $7500 credit. We could dump our SUV while used car prices are hot. 5-10k over, eh, probably not.

I bought my Transit in Las Vegas and had to fly there. When I showed up I got a $995 doc fee slapped on the pricing. I was buying out of state, so they weren't even going to register the thing! But what was I gonna do, taxi back to the airport and fly back home? It wasn't really worth it. They knew I was screwed. I've tried to pick the dealer more carefully this time.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
And not only did they severely underestimate demand once, but apparently lightning struck twice! At least this time they admitted that they had no clue demand would be this high, although I'm not sure how that miss happened. Are they out of touch with consumers?
If you're basing your decisions on what current truck customers respond to surveys then yes you are going to miss the mark because I would bet that a very large percentage of reservations are both new Ford customers and first time truck buyers.
However when someone decided to put a $40k introductory price on the thing, marketing executives should have realized that it would create tremendous demand. Now, we will see how many actually convert to orders when people realize that to get 300 miles and autopilot like features they are going to be looking at over $60k.
I can afford a $40k vehicle, I might be able to make a $50k vehicle work, but $60k+ is probably not going to happen.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If you're basing your decisions on what current truck customers respond to surveys then yes you are going to miss the mark because I would bet that a very large percentage of reservations are both new Ford customers and first time truck buyers.
However when someone decided to put a $40k introductory price on the thing, marketing executives should have realized that it would create tremendous demand. Now, we will see how many actually convert to orders when people realize that to get 300 miles and autopilot like features they are going to be looking at over $60k.
I can afford a $40k vehicle, I might be able to make a $50k vehicle work, but $60k+ is probably not going to happen.
Yep, $60k is a luxury vehicle. I have never paid more than $30k for a new car, and even then, I felt I was flushing money.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
There's a lot of talk of people wanting the Pro with ER on here, Reddit and Twitter. If Ford doesn't allow consumers to buy the ER, then I'm curious how many would still go with the Pro, upgrade to XLT, or just cancel. It doesn't make sense to go XLT if you're attracted by the Pro price tag so my guess is many will compromise.

This also depends on if the rumors of Ford underpromising their range numbers turns out to be true. If the 230 is more closer to 300, then we may still see a lot of conversions for Pro.

Sponsored

Hemitoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep WK Ecodiesel
There's a lot of talk of people wanting the Pro with ER on here, Reddit and Twitter. If Ford doesn't allow consumers to buy the ER, then I'm curious how many would still go with the Pro, upgrade to XLT, or just cancel. It doesn't make sense to go XLT if you're attracted by the Pro price tag so my guess is many will compromise.

This also depends on if the rumors of Ford underpromising their range numbers turns out to be true. If the 230 is more closer to 300, then we may still see a lot of conversions for Pro.

They may be slightly underpromising but I assure you they are not underpromising by 70 miles.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer

We probably won't have EPA numbers till pretty close to when deliveries begin so orders are going to have to be placed based on whatever information is available during the order window.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
We probably won't have EPA numbers till pretty close to when deliveries begin so orders are going to have to be placed based on whatever information is available during the order window.
Gotcha. I assumed we'd have numbers before then so people could make informed decisions. I've never ordered a brand new vehicle before so I'm unfamiliar with how this all works.

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Reviving this thread. Day 1 minute 1 reservation holder. Local dealer has gotten zero allocation. Went in the other day to talk to them and they don't even have a mannequin inbound. Thinking of switching to Granger figuring they have more allocation. Good/bad idea?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Reviving this thread. Day 1 minute 1 reservation holder. Local dealer has gotten zero allocation. Went in the other day to talk to them and they don't even have a mannequin inbound. Thinking of switching to Granger figuring they have more allocation. Good/bad idea?
I'd say just message Granger on here.

They have >0 allocations for MY2022, so more than the local dealer (around ~5 for MY2022, last I heard) but a LOT of reservations because of their pricing/communication, so they have a lot of reservations per allocation.

Also, I'm not sure it's totally clear right now what will happen with people who switch to a dealer and have earlier reservations than people who have already been invited to order, but postponed.

For instance, I know there were multiple Granger reservations that were invited, but postponed their orders. If you really have a "minute 1" reservation, then you would theoretically be ahead of them, but I'm not sure if the system will have you ahead or behind people who have already been invited, but postponed when it comes to the order of invites for MY2023. Basically, would you be first in line with the earliest reservation? Or would you be behind a few people who got invites but postponed... in which case being first in line at your local dealer may be better? Not sure.

Maybe Granger knows and can shed some light on that, or maybe no one knows but Ford how that will work. Or maybe Ford hasn't even decided yet.

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I'd say just message Granger on here.

They have >0 allocations for MY2022, so more than the local dealer (around ~5 for MY2022, last I heard) but a LOT of reservations because of their pricing/communication, so they have a lot of reservations per allocation.

Also, I'm not sure it's totally clear right now what will happen with people who switch to a dealer and have earlier reservations than people who have already been invited to order, but postponed.

For instance, I know there were multiple Granger reservations that were invited, but postponed their orders. If you really have a "minute 1" reservation, then you would theoretically be ahead of them, but I'm not sure if the system will have you ahead or behind people who have already been invited, but postponed when it comes to the order of invites for MY2023. Basically, would you be first in line with the earliest reservation? Or would you be behind a few people who got invites but postponed... in which case being first in line at your local dealer may be better? Not sure.

Maybe Granger knows and can shed some light on that, or maybe no one knows but Ford how that will work. Or maybe Ford hasn't even decided yet.
All I know is that when my first dealer pulled a $30k ADM stunt on me during the ordering process I called Ford and explained I wanted my allocation sent to Granger due to original dealer having put no ADM in writing twice. Soon after I was able to place my order and it's in production now. Reservation was before the unveiling presentation began and I think I was order wave 3. Hoping that didn't bump anybody and that they truly did transfer the allocation.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
All I know is that when my first dealer pulled a $30k ADM stunt on me during the ordering process I called Ford and explained I wanted my allocation sent to Granger due to original dealer having put no ADM in writing twice. Soon after I was able to place my order and it's in production now. Reservation was before the unveiling presentation began and I think I was order wave 3. Hoping that didn't bump anybody and that they truly did transfer the allocation.
Yeah, that's another good question. Once you get to this point, is the allocation attached to YOU or the dealer. So, did Granger effectively add an allocation and the scummy dealer lose one? Hopefully. Otherwise, the scummy dealer has less incentive NOT to attempt this if they don't actually lose their allocation.

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yeah, that's another good question. Once you get to this point, is the allocation attached to YOU or the dealer. So, did Granger effectively add an allocation and the scummy dealer lose one? Hopefully. Otherwise, the scummy dealer has less incentive NOT to attempt this if they don't actually lose their allocation.
I just picked up my Lightning from Granger on Monday. They had 2 come on the first shipment, the other one was delivered on Saturday. They said that these 2 were about half they're allocation, so I guess 4 or 5 sounds right and I think they are also getting 2 mannequins, which haven't arrived yet.

I think Granger originally said that they were only getting 2, so I don't know if their allocation got bumped during ordering or if they gained a couple of allocations from other dealers. I moved my order from another dealer that wouldn't confirm that they were not charging ADM, so they might have gained an allocation from me if that is the case. For reference on timing, I had a 1st minute reservation and a 1st wave order.
Sponsored