• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chapman and Granger Lightning allocation?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The only clowns who will buy the Lightning above MSRP are those who will make that money back with one Video Review or Social Media post. Unlike the Mach-E, the Lightning has a direct competitor within the Ford Lineup, unless you are adamant about having an EV Truck, there is no reason to pay these dealers. Might as well just go for a Rivian or get a PB F-150.
People are buying regular, mediocre crapboxes for above MSRP, now.

A highly hyped, first EV version of the most popular vehicle in America? PLENTY of people will be willing to pay above MSRP.

If you want an EV truck, the only competitors are Rivian, which is also going to cost more than MSRP unless you reserved it a WHILE ago, and waiting for something else like a Cybertruck or something.

I bet if Ford added $5k to every one they could STILL sell basically all of them.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I guess I underestimated the number of crazy people out there. I mean paying anywhere between $5-$10k extra on let’s say an XLT with extended range will be close to $70k. That gets you into a Lariat ICE range and doesn’t make sense to me especially when the 2nd gen is right around the corner.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I guess I underestimated the number of crazy people out there. I mean paying anywhere between $5-$10k extra on let’s say an XLT with extended range will be close to $70k. That gets you into a Lariat ICE range and doesn’t make sense to me especially when the 2nd gen is right around the corner.
It all depends how much you need the truck and how long you will have to wait to get one if you turn it down at delivery. If nothing else is available for purchase (let's hope this chip situation gets better, but it is looking like it will get worse) and you need a vehicle, you could be stuck renting for years. - which is very expensive, or riding a bike everywhere.

OP
OP

Skeighle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 tacoma, 2013 crv, lightning preorder
You're assuming 2nd gen will be better. Based on communication from Ford and the other oems, They don't ever expect to see dealer lots look the way they did pre pandemic. I think from now on, If the order model is adopted, a premium for a car off the lot without a wait may be standard. As far as comparing that to rivian or tesla I think that's why we are seeing a used Tesla market with prices over msrp. Folks don't want to or can not wait.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You're assuming 2nd gen will be better. Based on communication from Ford and the other oems, They don't ever expect to see dealer lots look the way they did pre pandemic. I think from now on, If the order model is adopted, a premium for a car off the lot without a wait may be standard. As far as comparing that to rivian or tesla I think that's why we are seeing a used Tesla market with prices over msrp. Folks don't want to or can not wait.
Paying a premium to not wait makes more sense to me (gotta pay to play), even if folks aren't used to it. What really concerns me is agreeing to a price, waiting, and then getting it jacked up at the last minute anyways. that just feels wrong. Signing contracts with agreed to pricing could help fix that, but how do you implement that when wait times stretch across model years neither you nor the dealer know what the pricing will be when your order gets manufactured.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Skeighle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 tacoma, 2013 crv, lightning preorder
Paying a premium to not wait makes more sense to me (gotta pay to play), even if folks aren't used to it. What really concerns me is agreeing to a price, waiting, and then getting it jacked up at the last minute anyways. that just feels wrong. Signing contracts with agreed to pricing could help fix that, but how do you implement that when wait times stretch across model years neither you nor the dealer know what the pricing will be when your order gets manufactured.
Great point. Love the username btw

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Exactly! As much as I want the truck, I will walk away from the deal if it isn’t right for me. The problem is the last thing I want to do is give them the truck so they can sell it with a higher ADM.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Exactly! As much as I want the truck, I will walk away from the deal if it isn’t right for me. The problem is the last thing I want to do is give them the truck so they can sell it with a higher ADM.
Ha, yeah, that's the annoying part.

You're not teaching the dealer a lesson by refusing to pay. That's exactly what they WANT you to do. They've already GOT the truck at that point and plenty of people who ARE willing to pay markup waiting behind you.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Ha, yeah, that's the annoying part.

You're not teaching the dealer a lesson by refusing to pay. That's exactly what they WANT you to do. They've already GOT the truck at that point and plenty of people who ARE willing to pay markup waiting behind you.
Hopefully Ford finds a good way to ensure the dealers honor a quoted price or at least enforce a maximum (i.e. MSRP). I'm feeling pretty good about my reservation at @Granger Ford at this point.

Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Hopefully Ford finds a good way to ensure the dealers honor a quoted price or at least enforce a maximum (i.e. MSRP). I'm feeling pretty good about my reservation at @Granger Ford at this point.
Agreed. Hopefully the online ordering process will mitigate some of those issues going forward.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah, there should be an agreed price at the time of the order that the dealer cannot change afterward. They should have to be up front and lock in a price before the order since the order locks the buyer to the dealer.

I know buyers can ask for the price in writing in advance or whatever, but that should happen automatically. Not display MSRP the whole time until the buyer has no recourse and then surprise them with a markup at the end.

FordVideoGuy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Bronco
Occupation
Internet Manager at Long McArthur Ford
So the situation is if you want your Truck at MSRP or below you may have to wait a little while. For those who are impatient and want to overpay they will be in a lightning much sooner. As someone who recently switched dealers for a better discount I can live with waiting a little while longer. Does it suck? Yeah but its not the end of the world if I can save a couple of dollars. My concern is now how long the EV credit will hold out for.
Price is not relevant to time of receiving order. The order is placed and Ford gives allocations based on each dealer in each region not based on price. Factory doesn't know what you are paying for the truck and will not build in that way. If you look at the Maverick there have been many, many more XLTs built versus Lariat.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Price is not relevant to time of receiving order. The order is placed and Ford gives allocations based on each dealer in each region not based on price. Factory doesn't know what you are paying for the truck and will not build in that way. If you look at the Maverick there have been many, many more XLTs built versus Lariat.
I think his point is dealers offering better deals will have more reservations and if Ford treats the lightning line the bronco then people willing to pay dealer markup will have an easier time finding one due to larger dealerships getting more allocations or due to having more dealer stock to be sold with adm

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Didn't Ford revoke X-Plan on Bronco after saying at launch it would be available? I actually waited for the Bronco launch before I ordered my truck. I am really glad that I didn't order one, I might have been able to justify getting one if they had a real tailgate like the '66 models which had more utility.

For people who live in cities where all the stealerships are crooks, X-Plan is the only way to ensure that you don't get bent over buying new. While some dealers honored early pricing, Ford threw reservation holders to the wolves when they added Bronco to the list of X-Plan exempt vehicles after they realized how badly they fucked up both supply and anticipating demand.

The Bronco is an unmitigated shit-show and will become an example of how not to introduce or re-introduce a model. It's hard to imagine how a company with as much resources as Ford could both underestimate demand so badly and completely foul up selecting suppliers for critical parts is astonishing.

I really wouldn't believe anything that Ford or the dealerships said regarding Lightning sales and orders. It's all smiles and handshakes now but until trucks start hitting dealer lots and customers are driving away happy, I'll assume it's every man for himself based on the Bronco debacle.
Sponsored