• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Terravis Solar Cover and Lightning?

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Ok so a nice hard cover is $1000. So it's only 15 years of 2/3 days of good full sun. I doubt you get that much of a year of full sunny days so it'll more than likely be longer than that.

Buy the thing and prove me wrong, but I myself am not convinced that it's worth the money. Even if it does manage to somehow give you 5 miles of range a day.

I see this device as a solution to add the pro power like capabilities to an older/cheaper/not ford truck. The lightning already has these features built in.

If you really want to use solar to power your vehicle it would make a lot more sense to put them onto your house.
Your both right I just like the look of the EV with the solar tonneau cover and the idea of energy independence. The efficiency and practicality of F150 short bed truck mounted solar panels (that fold) and then the DC to AC to DC conversion on top of it is not there. Especially not worth it if the total package is $3500 to $4000. Kudos to Worksport for developing a product and trying to bring it to market, its not the best fit for the Lightning offering.
Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If the system is generating 3kwh on a nice sunny day and none on many other days,
As with solar on the house, it will generate power on cloudy days, just about every day there is any light you will get power generation.

The PV bed cover is a great idea and will cover parasitic losses from electronics running, battery heat/cooling while parked, being able to plug in tools or camping gear without impacting range and charging while parked in remote areas on summer trips, keeping car battery/warm on the cold sunny days at the ski resort.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
Sounds like a big waste of money just like the electric road our governor introduced today. It is far from construction but will be a 3 mile road that will charge a EV as you drive over it. Hell they cant fix all the pot holes and they think this will work, LMAO.

OP
OP
Sun Devil

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't see the Lightning as an option on the vehicle list. Thanks for pointing that out. I like the idea of the independence it offers, but thanks for pointing out that it will take many years to pay for itself.

Ironically, my initial concern was how much it would weigh with the battery and everything. I wonder how much it may reduce my range by the weight it adds to vehicle. Perhaps it is minimal.

Thanks again for all the insights everyone.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Sounds like a big waste of money just like the electric road our governor introduced today. It is far from construction but will be a 3 mile road that will charge a EV as you drive over it. Hell they cant fix all the pot holes and they think this will work, LMAO.
It'll be a failure just like the solar road attempts in Europe and here in the US.