Ceramic coating?

SakerlinaGuy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR
Been reading a lot on ceramic coatings - as with many things it’s hard to figure out what’s just salesmanship and what’s real - wondering who on the forum has had a coating, what their thoughts are, if there are any coating brands to avoid? Just looking for any real world experience from someone whose not selling a product.
Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I like Optimum Gloss Coat for a diy product. Doing it the right way takes a lot of time but in my opinion ceramic coatings are worth it. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

OP
OP
SakerlinaGuy

SakerlinaGuy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR
I like Optimum Gloss Coat for a diy product. Doing it the right way takes a lot of time but in my opinion ceramic coatings are worth it. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.
Yeah I just don’t trust myself to not mess that up - I know my limits and it just seems that while it appears easy I’ll find a way to streak it up.

klvanzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Ceramic makes washing the vehicle much easier and the paint looks better after. It’s not going to protect the paint from scratches, dings, etc.

There are many great options at varying price points. In the past I’ve always had my vehicles coated by a professional with good results. Prices have gone up a ton though. Lowest one was north of $1500. I opted to get an exterior detail with one step paint correction/polish and have been using Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax and honestly can’t tell the difference. It doesn’t last as long as a true ceramic coat but it’s much cheaper and easy to maintain.

OP
OP
SakerlinaGuy

SakerlinaGuy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR
Ceramic makes washing the vehicle much easier and the paint looks better after. It’s not going to protect the paint from scratches, dings, etc.

There are many great options at varying price points. In the past I’ve always had my vehicles coated by a professional with good results. Prices have gone up a ton though. Lowest one was north of $1500. I opted to get an exterior detail with one step paint correction/polish and have been using Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax and honestly can’t tell the difference. It doesn’t last as long as a true ceramic coat but it’s much cheaper and easy to maintain.
I’ve been seeing between 800 and 1500 locally for the 5 to 7 year products - my main concern is being able to just do a snow foam followed by a quick 2-bucket wash and dry without having to wax the beast every few months… maybe put a coat of wax on over the ceramic every 6 months or so.

Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
i just had my truck professionally coated and am still learning but have done lots of research on it. The price I paid, while expencive, so far its worth it but its only been a week. I also thought about doing it myself but having a warranty, not messing up my new trucks paint, and the time it would have taken me to do it sold me. I do have a friend that coated his car with a diy ceramic coating and it looks good but it took him most of a day maybe even two to get his small car done.

So from my understanding and what my ceramic coating place said NO waxes ever even if it's in the soap. The waxes will for one not stick well to the ceramic and two the wax will actually reduce the hydrophobic characteristics of the ceramic coating. The product is used is a ceramic detailing spray that will restore the hydrophobic properties. The two bucket wash is what is recommended and is what I will be doing with a ph neautral soap because a high ph could actually damage the coating. Eventually I will get an electric pressure washer with a foam cannon but for now I will just use a garden hose and a hand pump foam sprayer.

You may also want to read the warrenty conditions if you get ceramic done professionally most likely in order to keep the warranty it must be inspected every year or the warranty is reduced or voided. for example a 7 year warranty may be reduced to a 5 year if you miss an inspection. usually there is a specific time frame it must be inspected within also. It could say something like ceramic coating must be inspected every year within the 30 days before the date it was installed or the warrenty will be reduced. This is just something to check if you don't diy.

Now some things I like about the ceramic coating i have is its is so slick and smooth that splattered bugs wipe off easily with a little spray cleaner and a quality microfiber even when the bugs have dried. a negitive I have is my antimatter blue truck really shows oily finger prints like your smart phone screen will or the touch screen in the truck.

Before anyone asks I am not saying the brand I went with because I've only had the ceramic a week and i havent driven it in the rain or washed the vehicle yet.

OP
OP
SakerlinaGuy

SakerlinaGuy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR
i just had my truck professionally coated and am still learning but have done lots of research on it. The price I paid, while expencive, so far its worth it but its only been a week. I also thought about doing it myself but having a warranty, not messing up my new trucks paint, and the time it would have taken me to do it sold me. I do have a friend that coated his car with a diy ceramic coating and it looks good but it took him most of a day maybe even two to get his small car done.

So from my understanding and what my ceramic coating place said NO waxes ever even if it's in the soap. The waxes will for one not stick well to the ceramic and two the wax will actually reduce the hydrophobic characteristics of the ceramic coating. The product is used is a ceramic detailing spray that will restore the hydrophobic properties. The two bucket wash is what is recommended and is what I will be doing with a ph neautral soap because a high ph could actually damage the coating. Eventually I will get an electric pressure washer with a foam cannon but for now I will just use a garden hose and a hand pump foam sprayer.

You may also want to read the warrenty conditions if you get ceramic done professionally most likely in order to keep the warranty it must be inspected every year or the warranty is reduced or voided. for example a 7 year warranty may be reduced to a 5 year if you miss an inspection. usually there is a specific time frame it must be inspected within also. It could say something like ceramic coating must be inspected every year within the 30 days before the date it was installed or the warrenty will be reduced. This is just something to check if you don't diy.

Now some things I like about the ceramic coating i have is its is so slick and smooth that splattered bugs wipe off easily with a little spray cleaner and a quality microfiber even when the bugs have dried. a negitive I have is my antimatter blue truck really shows oily finger prints like your smart phone screen will or the touch screen in the truck.

Before anyone asks I am not saying the brand I went with because I've only had the ceramic a week and i havent driven it in the rain or washed the vehicle yet.
So - on the wax bit - you’re saying with the ceramic coating you’re not supposed to put a regular wax, like carnauba, over it? Interesting- makes sense - but never thought of that.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I did my 2018 Charger, and plan to get my F150 done before winter...LOVED the final result.

Ford F-150 Ceramic coating? 38171735_240512819925057_6510560221847355392_n

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
So - on the wax bit - you’re saying with the ceramic coating you’re not supposed to put a regular wax, like carnauba, over it? Interesting- makes sense - but never thought of that.
What wax does is protect your paint against the elements, provide gloss, and make water bead and slide off reducing water spots. If you ceramic coat a car the ceramic is provididing the protection so no need for wax. In some ways ceramic is better than wax like gloss and the hydrophobic capibilities. wax on the other hand is easyer to remove and reapply a soap thats removes wax is all you need and that can be purchased anywhere while ceramic basicly needs to be sanded off to remove the coating.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Been reading a lot on ceramic coatings - as with many things it’s hard to figure out what’s just salesmanship and what’s real - wondering who on the forum has had a coating, what their thoughts are, if there are any coating brands to avoid? Just looking for any real world experience from someone whose not selling a product.

Take a look at Project Farm on Youtube. He does some really good comparisons of the various ceramic treatments. What's best is he does this all out of pocket.

Sponsored

klvanzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I’ve been seeing between 800 and 1500 locally for the 5 to 7 year products - my main concern is being able to just do a snow foam followed by a quick 2-bucket wash and dry without having to wax the beast every few months… maybe put a coat of wax on over the ceramic every 6 months or so.
A true ceramic coat should last for years without much maintenance other than normal washes, assuming you don’t take it through brushed washes, use overly harsh chemicals, etc. There are many cheap products out there than you can literally spray on top of a ceramic coat after a wash that will help maintain it. No need to wax or reapply anything substantial after the original coating.

The Turtle wax product I’m using is a Graphene coating (similar to ceramic). I applied it dry, by hand the first time and it has lasted me 4+ months already. Reports from YouTubers say to expect 8-12 months. The slickness, shine, and hydrophobic properties are just as good as my ceramic coats and a bottle of it runs $20-$25, and it’s super easy to apply. So, ultimately I expect to pay about $500 total over the life of the vehicle for this coating compared with the $1,500+ I was looking at. If I could find someone reputable to do a true ceramic for less than $1k I would have gone that route as I normally had on my prior vehicles.

Jmet8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
check out gyeon can coat. It’s a good diy. Check out Some of these guys on YouTube. Pan the organizer, Obsessed Garage, Drive and Protect They have good info on this stuff.

Stevenbm99

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Ethos graphene. Really like their products. Will take about 6 hours to wash it prep it and apply 2 coats to the truck but worth it. Good luck.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
I have used adams graphene coating. So far I have done 6 vehicles at home. Premium version is better then std. almost a year, so far so good. Kit is approx 150, you can look for sale 20-30% off

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I used gtechniq crystal serum lite (CSL) and EXO. It lasts 3-5 years with the proper care. It’s easy to apply and level. I coated my 16 and my 21 with it.
Sponsored