Sponsored

Center Console with Interior Work Surface

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
Hi all,
I am researching replacing my 2009 Frontier with a '21 F150. I'm not a huge fan of chrome so I am leaning towards an XLT 302A with Sport appearance package. This moves the shifter to the console, which is not a big deal for me as that is where the Frontier is. I assume the shifter folds down regardless if I add the $165 work surface? Is the console itself any different when not adding the work surface? All the videos I've found love to show off that work surface.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all,
I am researching replacing my 2009 Frontier with a '21 F150. I'm not a huge fan of chrome so I am leaning towards an XLT 302A with Sport appearance package. This moves the shifter to the console, which is not a big deal for me as that is where the Frontier is. I assume the shifter folds down regardless if I add the $165 work surface? Is the console itself any different when not adding the work surface? All the videos I've found love to show off that work surface.

Thanks!
You get 1.5 - 2.0 inches more room for your elbow on the non-work surface console lid than you do on the lid with the work surface. At the test drive events my elbow wanted to rest right on the hard plastic part of the lid folding latch on the work surface consoles. Hence I ordered my truck without the work surface.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Yes, the shifter will fold down even without the work surface option.

ETA: I wish now that I had opted for the work surface.

Wallyo

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Super Crew XLT
I have the sports package and work surface. Love the work surface. Great on long trips, to stop and have a place to eat lunch. Or to set a laptop on.

As to the sports package I did not realize exactly what you get with it when I purchased the truck, just liked the look. After purchasing I went down the list it is a lot of bang for your buck.

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
Work surface is very handy, BUT if you have the console shifter, you have to stow the work surface as the shifter interferes with the work surface, and with the shifter folded down, the truck will not go into gear.

I had the work surface with a column shift truck and could leave the work surface down, which was great as my co-pilot, could be using it while I was driving.

Current truck does not have the work surface, but has the regular console and when using Forscan, with the laptop trying to balance it on the console lid. rather than using the work surface it is more difficult, and harder on the back twisting around to get at it.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I've thought of keeping a pad to throw across console and basically duplicate the functionality of work surface. Can't say I'm really missing it not having it but I never looked at a truck with one.

Love the sport package coming from a chrome package truck for 12 years.
Sponsored