Sponsored

Can a WDH increase towing capacity (SCrew, Powerboost, Fx4)?

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have a Powerboost Fx4 Supercrew on order, and I did not add the trailer towing package (or max for that matter) as I did not realize that these packages increased towing capacity from 7,000 pounds to 11,000 pounds (or more). Dumb me, I know. The dealer tells me that, while it is too late to change, if I replace the class IV hitch with a weight distributing hitch, I can tow 11,000 pounds, but I cannot find supporting documentation of this statement. I will likely only ever need that towing capacity very rarely for vacations pulling a travel trailer, but I am curious nonetheless.

Can anyone clarify?
Sponsored

OP
OP

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If you don't have a VIN yet, you can edit your order. If you plan to tow a TT, I'd recommend adding one of the packages.
VIN already created. Bummer

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I have a Powerboost Fx4 Supercrew on order, and I did not add the trailer towing package (or max for that matter) as I did not realize that these packages increased towing capacity from 7,000 pounds to 11,000 pounds (or more). Dumb me, I know. The dealer tells me that, while it is too late to change, if I replace the class IV hitch with a weight distributing hitch, I can tow 11,000 pounds, but I cannot find supporting documentation of this statement. I will likely only ever need that towing capacity very rarely for vacations pulling a travel trailer, but I am curious nonetheless.

Can anyone clarify?
Your dealer is a moron. First, the Class IV hitch refers to the receiver. The weigh distributing hitch is the thing that slides into the receiver. Two different pieces of equipment and one does not “replace” the other. They work together. Second, weight distributing hitches do not increase maximum tow ratings. Although manufacturers frequently specify two tow ratings for their vehicles—a reduced rating for a weight carrying hitch (often about 5,000 for light duty vehicles) and a maximum rating for towing with appropriate equipment (like a WDH) the 7,000 pound rating for the F-150 without a tow package is the maximum for that vehicle.

I would recommend not asking this dealer for towing advice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Your dealer is a moron. First, the Class IV hitch refers to the receiver. The weigh distributing hitch is the thing that slides into the receiver. Two different pieces of equipment and one does not “replace” the other. They work together. Second, weight distributing hitches do not increase maximum tow ratings. Although manufacturers frequently specify two tow ratings for their vehicles—a reduced rating for a weight carrying hitch (often about 5,000 for light duty vehicles) and a maximum rating for towing with appropriate equipment (like a WDH) the 7,000 pound rating for the F-150 without a tow package is the maximum for that vehicle.

I would recommend not asking this dealer for towing advice.
Well explained. Thank you.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Personally, I think the 7,000lb rating for vehicles without the Tow or Max Tow package is bogus. Looking at what either gets you compared to the Tow Tech on vehicles that come with the class IV receiver is minimal at best, especially on Powerboost trucks.

If you get pulled over, all that is going to matter is the ratings on the sticker on the door jamb and the weight of your truck/cargo/trailer. I looked over both the stickers on my truck and there's nothing listing maximum trailer weight.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Personally, I think the 7,000lb rating for vehicles without the Tow or Max Tow package is bogus. Looking at what either gets you compared to the Tow Tech on vehicles that come with the class IV receiver is minimal at best, especially on Powerboost trucks.

If you get pulled over, all that is going to matter is the ratings on the sticker on the door jamb and the weight of your truck/cargo/trailer. I looked over both the stickers on my truck and there's nothing listing maximum trailer weight.
Well, if your only worry were the roving trooper looking to fill a ticket quota on a “bogus” technicality, I’d agree with you that towing overweight is probably not much of a concern. However, if you were to come to your dealer with a bent frame or damaged springs and demanded warranty coverage, Ford would know the weight rating. If you were to get into an accident, your insurance company would know the weight rating. And if you killed someone in that accident I promise you the plaintiff’s lawyer would know the weight rating. Not worth the risk to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The components that make up the various towing options are all available from Ford and/or aftermarket. So I would argue that you can equip your truck with more towing capacity than your Payload Capacity will support.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Well, if your only worry were the roving trooper looking to fill a ticket quota on a “bogus” technicality, I’d agree with you that towing overweight is probably not much of a concern. However, if you were to come to your dealer with a bent frame or damaged springs and demanded warranty coverage, Ford would know the weight rating. If you were to get into an accident, your insurance company would know the weight rating. And if you killed someone in that accident I promise you the plaintiff’s lawyer would know the weight rating. Not worth the risk to me.
Just curious, how would the frame be bent or springs damaged if you were within your vehicle payload? Pretty sure if you were in an accident, the insurance company is also going to care more about the weight ratings on the stickers plus actual vehicle + load weight than whatever Ford put as an arbitrary trailer tow rating as well.

I'm also very interested to know what component(s) are added to the truck with the Tow Package allow you to tow a trailer that is 4-5000lbs heavier? From all the information I can find in Ford's documentation and posted here, there's nothing added that would change a towing rating. The fact that they don't put a GCWR on the stickers on the truck makes it even more arbitrary.

Sponsored

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Just curious, how would the frame be bent or springs damaged if you were within your vehicle payload? Pretty sure if you were in an accident, the insurance company is also going to care more about the weight ratings on the stickers plus actual vehicle + load weight than whatever Ford put as an arbitrary trailer tow rating as well.

I'm also very interested to know what component(s) are added to the truck with the Tow Package allow you to tow a trailer that is 4-5000lbs heavier? From all the information I can find in Ford's documentation and posted here, there's nothing added that would change a towing rating. The fact that they don't put a GCWR on the stickers on the truck makes it even more arbitrary.
You aren’t alone.
Many of us want to know: What's in the Trailer Tow package (53A) that isn't in the Tow Technology package (17T) . . . or did many of us just get ripped off?

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...tech-17t-vs-trailer-tow-53a.7512/#post-135093

Last edited:

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
The weight of the WDH reduces your payload, but it does improve the balance of the combination plus reduces sway if equipped to do that. I suspect you don't even have a trailer brake controller.

You can tow 11,000, but 10% (to 15%) of that weight transfers to the towing vehicle through the hitch. Your powerboost likely has a payload capacity of 1500lbs at best. So that leaves very little for you and your family less the weight of the WDH. Check out this thread on Powerboost payloads

Experience counts for alot when towing. Take it easy when you start. I've towed 6500lbs and its very comfortable with that. My truck has a 1847 payload and can tow up to 9400 officially. Truck's GCWR is 14,800. I scaled it last time I was out at 12,160, including full tank and my 250lbs.

If you are truly serious about 11,000 towing, my gut says a F250 is closer to what you need to be safe than what you have or expect to get.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.

Can anyone clarify?
Per pg. 6 of Ford's tow guide, you're limited to 7,000 lbs. and a WD hitch doesn't change that.
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...cpo/pdf/2023_Ford_F-150_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf

Depending on the weight of the trailer and state laws where you travel, you may need an after market trailer brake controller.

As mentioned, payload capacity is critical and powerboosts especially, officially, start with a shortfall on that. Since yours is 4x4, another shortfall. Highly optioned? Even more.

You're starting behind the eight ball. No other way around it. You'll have to limit the weight of your trailer and other cargo, if you want to stay legal.
Sponsored