Brake fault

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
For the last few weeks I’ve had an error pop up randomly while driving. The error would elicit an audible tone, by the time I would look at my information cluster, the error would be gone.

Yesterday, I was finally able to see the message before it disappeared. It said “trailer break system fault”, or something to that effect.

I’m not towing anything. These errors seem random and will usually come in a burst

I’ll check on any obd codes tomorrow.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
For the last few weeks I’ve had an error pop up randomly while driving. The error would elicit an audible tone, by the time I would look at my information cluster, the error would be gone.

Yesterday, I was finally able to see the message before it disappeared. It said “trailer break system fault”, or something to that effect.

I’m not towing anything. These errors seem random and will usually come in a burst

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

powerbeast

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT Hybrid
Same happened to me although it remained ON. Now my turn signal flashes quickly as if a bulb was out. Weird thing is that they flash normally outside. Going in for service to resolve

CoCamper

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB
Occupation
Engineer
Gents I had this same issue for over a year. Finally figured out my trailer brake module was defective and temperature sensitive, would get more alerts when really hot or cold. The module is like $120 and super easy to replace. Suggest unplugging it first for a while and see if the alerts go away. If they do, just replace it.

FWIW mine got so bad it was cause cluster and infotainment screen to fully reboot while driving. Ford definitely has a batch of bad trailer break modules out there.

CoCamper

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB
Occupation
Engineer
Also worth noting I took mine to 2 dealers and they had it for weeks each and could not figure it out. In the end I bought the part new online and did the replacement myself, 2 plugs, 2 bolts, done.

Sponsored

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also worth noting I took mine to 2 dealers and they had it for weeks each and could not figure it out. In the end I bought the part new online and did the replacement myself, 2 plugs, 2 bolts, done.
Hmmm. I might just do the same. Seems to happen more and more often. Plus, Ford is always useless. Might as well do it myself. Do you have to test the front dash apart?

Do you have a part number?

CoCamper

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB
Occupation
Engineer
Hmmm. I might just do the same. Seems to happen more and more often. Plus, Ford is always useless. Might as well do it myself. Do you have to test the front dash apart?

Do you have a part number?
nope, it’s under the dash above the dead pedal area. Two connectors and two bolts and it comes right out.

part number is ML3Z-19H332-AB

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nope, it’s under the dash above the dead pedal area. Two connectors and two bolts and it comes right out.

Oh wow! I’ll unplug the module and see if it stops the errors and then likely order a new one! Thank you so much!!!!

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Are there and videos or diagrams you could recommend? Just took a look…. That area is way busier than I thought it would be. I couldn’t find much in YouTube.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...

I’ve also had this randomly pop up when I start my truck. One time, I was connected with OBDLink and scanned for codes, no codes found. I, also, may look into this as a solution.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Are there and videos or diagrams you could recommend? Just took a look…. That area is way busier than I thought it would be. I couldn’t find much in YouTube.
Ford F-150 Brake fault Screenshot_20231216_201450_OneDrive

Zoom in and you will see where the harness connector is located for the module. The orange firewall rubber plug in the diagram is really easy to find in the truck. It's pretty big and unmistakable.

The connector you will look for looks like this:
(you can just unplug it and see if the strange behavior ceases?)

Ford F-150 Brake fault Screenshot_20231216_201129_OneDrive

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Screenshot_20231216_201450_OneDrive.jpg

Zoom in and you will see where the harness connector is located for the module. The orange firewall rubber plug in the diagram is really easy to find in the truck. It's pretty big and unmistakable.

The connector you will look for looks like this:
(you can just unplug it and see if the strange behavior ceases?)

Screenshot_20231216_201129_OneDrive.jpg
Thank you so much! This is perfect!
Sponsored