Mystery Trailer Brake System Fault

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Received a Trailer Brake System Fault message for the 1st time today immediately after starting the truck at 3007 miles (I snapped the below picture as soon as I saw it). Never had a trailer connected since I have owned the truck. Happened 3 times in a row and even saw it again after a short test drive. The fault message eventually went away after a couple times driving it, but there is a related code stored on the truck. According to my BlueDriver OBD2 Code Scanner I have 1 Anti-Lock Brake Module code U0253-00 - which is noted as a confirmed status of Lost Communication with Accessory Protocol Interface Module (No Sub Type Information). For MIL Status for Anti-Lock Brake Module code U0253-00 it states the fault cleared at 3014 miles.

I was also surprised to find another code stored on the truck and I am not sure if it is related. The other code is C1001-01. According to my code scanner it states that there was a confirmed status of a Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure. The reason why I am surprised to see this code is because I never noticed any camera problems. Worth mentioning is that this MIL Status for Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure code C1001-01 cleared at 878 miles.

Questions I have are:

1. Should I worry about taking the truck to the dealer since the codes cleared on their own? What will a dealer do when they see codes magically cleared on the MIL Status? Am I going to be wasting my time with the dealer saying everything works fine?....because according to the system, it now shows all the codes cleared on there own.
2. Anyone have these issues?
3. Are there related TSB's?

Ford F-150 Mystery Trailer Brake System Fault 559A6E5E-79BF-4A1B-98CD-67372F6D3F54

Ford F-150 Mystery Trailer Brake System Fault Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 12.57.59 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Received a Trailer Brake System Fault message for the 1st time today immediately after starting the truck at 3007 miles (I snapped the below picture as soon as I saw it). Never had a trailer connected since I have owned the truck. Happened 3 times in a row and even saw it again after a short test drive. The fault message eventually went away after a couple times driving it, but there is a related code stored on the truck. According to my BlueDriver OBD2 Code Scanner I have 1 Anti-Lock Brake Module code U0253-00 - which is noted as a confirmed status of Lost Communication with Accessory Protocol Interface Module (No Sub Type Information). For MIL Status for Anti-Lock Brake Module code U0253-00 it states the fault cleared at 3014 miles.

I was also surprised to find another code stored on the truck and I am not sure if it is related. The other code is C1001-01. According to my code scanner it states that there was a confirmed status of a Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure. The reason why I am surprised to see this code is because I never noticed any camera problems. Worth mentioning is that this MIL Status for Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure code C1001-01 cleared at 878 miles.

Questions I have are:

1. Should I worry about taking the truck to the dealer since the codes cleared on their own? What will a dealer do when they see codes magically cleared on the MIL Status? Am I going to be wasting my time with the dealer saying everything works fine?....because according to the system, it now shows all the codes cleared on there own.
2. Anyone have these issues?
3. Are there related TSB's?

559A6E5E-79BF-4A1B-98CD-67372F6D3F54.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 12.57.59 PM.png
Hi there! send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership. I’ll look into this for you. Thank you!

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi there! send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership. I’ll look into this for you. Thank you!
Thanks! I just PM'd the information that you requested.

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just a quick update:

1. I haven't seen the Trailer Brake System Fault Message pop up on my instrument cluster in the last 10 days since I saw it first appear. I answered a couple private messages from Ford asking for information, some that I already provided in my original post. I haven't received any official response from Ford on what to do.

2. I found some TSB's on my own searching the NHTSA web site for the trouble codes stored on my truck. Here they are:

Ford F-150 Mystery Trailer Brake System Fault Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 10.31.26 PM

Ford F-150 Mystery Trailer Brake System Fault Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 10.37.38 PM

Last edited:

Joshua_Tree

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Design
i am also having the trailer brake controller not working issue. Can you tell me is anything comes up from my VIN?

Lost trailer brakes half way down a snowy mountain pass last week pulling my Airstream. Talk about scary (and dangerous)

1FTFW1ED6MFA99761

Sponsored

El Amigo

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Manufacturing (ODM)
Just a quick update:

1. I haven't seen the Trailer Brake System Fault Message pop up on my instrument cluster in the last 10 days since I saw it first appear. I answered a couple private messages from Ford asking for information, some that I already provided in my original post. I haven't received any official response from Ford on what to do.

2. I found some TSB's on my own searching the NHTSA web site for the trouble codes stored on my truck. Here they are:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 10.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 10.37.38 PM.png
Can you please confirm how did you fixed the two codes?

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The Trailer Brake System Fault message is still a possible mystery. I haven't noticed any issues or dash alerts since the day I received the Trailer Brake System Fault message (just over 3000 miles). I didn't fix anything and I'm not sure if anything is wrong because I have never towed...I plan to read the codes again after the planned June 2022 OTA update.

As far as the Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure code... I never saw a dash alert. I only saw the code stored on the computer when I used my OBD2 scanner. I will speculate that it may have been related to when I installed my BedRug. When I installed the BedRug I pulled my tail light and disconnected the tailgate wiring harness to access the Bed LED and switch for a clean install...The camera wiring may be on the same wiring harness, but I'm not sure though. I think I installed the Bedrug at around the same milage that it cleared (878 miles) when the vision system camera code triggered.

Last edited:

El Amigo

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Manufacturing (ODM)
The Trailer Brake System Fault message is still a possible mystery. I haven't noticed any issues or dash alerts since the day I received the Trailer Brake System Fault message (just over 3000 miles). I didn't fix anything and I'm not sure if anything is wrong because I have never towed...I plan to read the codes again after the planned June 2022 OTA update.

As far as the Vision System Camera General Electrical Failure code... I never saw a dash alert. I only saw the code stored on the computer when I used my OBD2 scanner. I will speculate that it may have been related to when I installed my BedRug. When I installed the BedRug I pulled my tail light and disconnected the tailgate wiring harness to access the Bed LED and switch for a clean install...The camera wiring may be on the same wiring harness, but I'm not sure though. I think I installed the Bedrug at around the same milage that it cleared (878 miles) when the vision system camera code triggered.

@Str8Shooter, thanks for the feedback I have same DTCs as you. What are the improvements on June 2022 OTA though? I haven't receive any OTA yet. Mine is 8/21 build

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
For the June 2022 OTA, I was reading directly from TSB that I posted in post #4 above. That's where the OTA date came from and that is all I know.

That's interesting that you also have the other fault code for the Vision System. Did you ever disconnect any wiring harnesses? The only other thing that I can possibly remember doing around the time that code cleared was pushing the fuses located under the hood in further. Anyway, like I said in my 1st post, I never noticed any camera problems ever on my truck, and was surprised to see that code stored in memory.

El Amigo

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Manufacturing (ODM)
For the June 2022 OTA, I was reading directly from TSB that I posted in post #4 above. That's where the OTA date came from and that is all I know.

That's interesting that you also have the other fault code for the Vision System. Did you ever disconnect any wiring harnesses? The only other thing that I can possibly remember doing around the time that code cleared was pushing the fuses located under the hood in further. Anyway, like I said in my 1st post, I never noticed any camera problems ever on my truck, and was surprised to see that code stored in memory.
sorry I missed that OTA.

I have Sprayed Bed at Factory, probably they'd disconnected as well. Same as you all my 360 cam works well.

Sponsored

bward02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 S-Crew Powerboost
I'm having the same issue. I went out and started the truck today and got this fault. My only guess is we had quite a bit of snow the last couple of days. Maybe something got wet? Mine isn't showing any DTC codes in Forscan. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I also am getting a "reverse brake assist not available - see manual" message as well. I'm wondering if they are related.

Thank you

bward02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 S-Crew Powerboost
I'm having the same issue. I went out and started the truck today and got this fault. My only guess is we had quite a bit of snow the last couple of days. Maybe something got wet? Mine isn't showing any DTC codes in Forscan. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I also am getting a "reverse brake assist not available - see manual" message as well. I'm wondering if they are related.

Thank you
Well the trailer fault cleared and I noticed I do in fact have that vision code stored. I haven’t installed anything except a backflip cover. Bed rug comes next week. Still having the reverse brake assist error though. Who knows what’s causing this gremlin with our trucks
Sponsored