Sponsored

Bed Camera Upgrade

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
In some of the threads, especially about having a digital rear view, a number of people have commented that the bed camera will work at speed without a stupid black warning blocking your view. One of the drawbacks is that for cheapskate sake Ford decided to give us the lowest res bed camera they could find. It could work in a pinch in place of a proper digital rear view mirror, but it was bad quality.

I finally found an alternative camera replacement for that bed camera.

ford f150 bed camera — Custom Solutions PNW LLC

Not a cheap date but easy installation makes this a mod that anyone can do.

My hopes would be that an OTA Ford update would let us utilize the tailgate camera and at least display a rear view on the screen in place of a proper digital rear view mirror, but I am not waiting or holding my breath. I think there was an update that let you use the tailgate camera at speed going forward with the warning lowered out of the way, but I also think some update changed this back. Pity really as a digital rear view mirror for a truck is technology that is not space age and belongs on any truck with cameras.
Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the Link. Definitely on my list! I avoid that camera like the plague!

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
In the link the example photos of the original vs upgrade views both still look terrible. Even if the resolution is increased it still looks bad on the screen there (yes its likely harder to see in a photo but its still not a high res looking picture)

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the link the example photos of the original vs upgrade views both still look terrible. Even if the resolution is increased it still looks bad on the screen there (yes its likely harder to see in a photo but its still not a high res looking picture)
HA! You are right there. One thing I will say though is that if you look at the video and photography production of this group, marketing production is not their forte.

Taking a still picture of a screen with a moving display on a dark day with a slow shutter speed is not the way to present the products capabilities in the best light.

IMHO the install video was a better representation but even that was not great nor well done. It will be a see it for yourself to really judge this camera. With that said the OEM is basically garbage so anything will improve upon that.

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Man, really want to swap that out, but the cost along with a not so great looking video, you really can't tell if the picture is worth that cash layout....... Somebody be the Guinea Pig. haha.

Sponsored

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
Also I'm wondering if the pics are actually reversed as the top one ("original") looks less jagged ha

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Man, really want to swap that out, but the cost along with a not so great looking video, you really can't tell if the picture is worth that cash layout....... Somebody be the Guinea Pig. haha.
HA! Well that would be me. I ordered one so I will be able to tell if it is worth it or not.

As stated originally this is not a cheap date for a niche mod at best. However when I look at the pictures on the website of just the bed for the truck, there is a lot better resolution there. Is it enough to make it worth it, that is subjective, and I would have to see it in person to tell. I plan to use that camera at speed in place of a proper digital rearview camera, so anything is better than what Ford gave us.

Now if Ford would do us right and give us the ability to use the rear camera view at speed without that stupid black warning blocking the main view, then this would not matter. However, I am not holding my breath.

I'll let you know how it goes.

PhilBurks

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
philburks.com
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited, all options is on order.
Occupation
CEO
Just ordered mine. I'll try to post the results. In their pics of before/after... look at the width of the tailgate. Shows that the aspect ratio of the new one is better (still wide, but flatter)

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Even if the quality isn't that much better the depth of view is much better represented on the replacement. In the OEM it looks like I have a 20' long bed that's about 15' wide.

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I was wondering while driving today if there's also a module issue that will only handle a certain number of FPS too, because man, the stock one really starts to struggle with a little rain and some movement.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Another thing that crossed my mind regarding this thing camera, anyone think the video could be "tapped" into and stored locally, like previous 1 hour just constantly overwrite, could be really helpful in the event of getting rear ended or something, probably not going to be high enough resolution to show something like what the driver is doing or license plate number, but if would be easy evidence against a driver says "ohh they just pulled out in front of me and I couldn't stop in time"

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
Are all bed cameras the same resolution across models? Raptor included?

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I really like the concept, just not the price. I'll wait for feedback, as I'm still intrigued though.

I wonder if somehow the OEM reverse camera would work in the bed camera location? Total guess, but I'd imagine if it was possible, it'd be known by now?

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was wondering while driving today if there's also a module issue that will only handle a certain number of FPS too, because man, the stock one really starts to struggle with a little rain and some movement.
Thats a good point and I will find out. Low resolution will have a big impact on visual quality while in movement, but FPS could also be a big factor.
Sponsored