• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Backup Power with other EV?

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
Just wondering if anyone knows if the backup power system will work with other ev systems using the CCS charger plug?
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'm guessing no. The other vehicle would have to support bidirectional DC charging at a minimum, perhaps at a specific voltage - i.e. a vehicle with an 800V system would not hook up to Ford's inverter. I think there would also need to be some level of communication between the vehicle and the backup system with regards to load and battery capacity.

maverick92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lightning, Model Y, Maverick
Occupation
Engineer
I think there is a good chance other vehicles would work that support V2G or V2H like the Hyundai Ioniq5. Ford has partnered with Sunrun to make it work and nothing I've seen is proprietary to Ford. Wallbox for example has announced their newest charger, the Quasar 2 will allow vehicles to be used as backup power, but like the Sunrun hardware it costs ~4k.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
There is a standard for bidirectional charging (UL 9741) which Ford appears to be following with their equipment. If other manufacturers follow the same standard the charger would potentially work with that vehicle:

https://new.siemens.com/us/en/compa...structure/siemens-collaborates-with-ford.html

Since Tesla uses a completely different connector they would probably have to switch to CCS to meet this standard. However, Elon has made it clear he is not interested in V2H, probably because it would cut into powerwall sales.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Kind of an emergency use only scenario but since the EV has a number of ways to power out then it is easy to power up other EV's. You wouldn't want to do this V2V charging except in some emergency.
Sponsored