Sponsored

APIM swap scheduled, what to check before I leave?

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
What is the average person getting out of a PMI in FRDS that can’t be achieved at home by force rewriting all of the as built to an ECU with ForScan? Maybe it’s just me, but a dealer visit seems like a waste of time for some.

We know that PMI isn’t risk free either and can transfer corrupt data from one module to a replacement. Perhaps educating people what a PMI does is more effective than getting owners to request it anytime something is wrong.

I tend to agree with Snakebitten. I believe a number of service department visits in these forums can be avoid by owners who already have the right equipment but don’t realize its potential (ForScan).

I’ve seen APIMs fail. Clearly bad ones exist. But I tend to lean on the side of skepticism when it comes to the volume or APIM’s dealers are replacing these days.

I was talking to a Ford tech on Facebook just a few days ago about an issue. I laid out exactly what the problem was and what will solve it, but I respect they have to follow procedures. FSE had him replace that APIM for something that was clearly a problem the owner created by misusing ForScan.

I can picture a dumpster full of perfectly good RMA’ed APIM’s somewhere just waiting to be sold on eBay.

It’s a good thread though.

I don’t want to change the subject but
SSM 51893 from the screenshot on Page 1 sure sounds like fun times.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I tend to agree with Snakebitten. I believe a number of service department visits in these forums can be avoid by owners who already have the right equipment but don’t realize its potential (ForScan).
This. I think I realize the potential of FORscan more than other novices only because I have seen first-hand what can be done with it in the hands of capable people. I am not one of those people. I never realized that you can simulate a PMI by loading the as build data until you mentioned it. Now that I hear it loud, I almost want to say it is common sense. But again: I consider myself a novice so for me, it isn't common sense.

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
I want to clarify when it comes to 'PMI' vs 'FORscan force re-write all' I don't know the answer. On the surface it appears to be the same function.

What I prefer to do with FORscan is write all zeros first to ensure the change of state. It's my digital sledge hammer when things don't cooperate lol

I was hoping you, Jesse or someone would tell me a PMI is different for some reason. FRDS has a broader range of scripts / utilities, but I don't understand why a PMI has a perception of being unique.

Unfortunately, as much as I like when FORscan is a solution for owners on these forums, I think FORscan is also a growing problem for service departments.

It's fine for most the users, but in the case I was speaking about above, an owner accidentally configured an APIM for right hand drive and FSE had the shop technician replace the APIM. On one hand it's funny, but I also have to shake my head at all those wasted hours from everyone involved.

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I want to clarify when it comes to 'PMI' vs 'FORscan force re-write all' I don't know the answer. On the surface it appears to be the same function.

I was hoping you, Jesse or someone would tell me a PMI is different for some reason. FRDS has a broader range of scripts / utilities, but I don't understand why a PMI has a perception of being unique.

Also, unfortunately as much as I want FORscan to be a solution for a lot of problems on these forums, I think FORscan is becoming a larger problem for service departments.

It's fine for most the users, but in the case I was speaking about above, an owner accidentally configured an APIM for right hand drive, and FSE had the shop replace the APIM LOL. On one hand it's funny, but I also have to shake my head at all those wasted hours from everyone involved.
It is my understanding that a PMI will do more than just write the as-built data. It will actually check the config of other modules and apply the software needed so it is properly configured based on the software state of other modules. I say this based on my understanding of several convos I've had with Jesse offline. Maybe @Jesse-Infotainment can chime in and confirm.
Sponsored