First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 PB 501A
Occupation
Retired
I installed an Amp Research 'knock off' step that I bought on eBay. The seller negotiated a best offer and it cost me $100.06 with shipping. I had been looking at these on Amazon for around $150 and read lots of reviews. There are some negative reviews with one particular problem with the step breaking off. I did find Amp Research also has this problem as the step is made of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic). I had an Amp Research on my previous truck and never had a problem. I'll probably, unconsciously step toward the attachment point from now on. This knock off is every bit as heavy as the Amp and actually works a little smoother. The brackets have very clean edges and the coating is a high gloss powder. The hardware to bolt the two bracket sides is either chrome or stainless rather than black oxide. I used a YouTube Amp Research video for installation (the eBay seller provided a set of instructions for an older truck). The install was very easy and the step looks good to me. One thing I noticed is the large cable from the 7.2K plug lays against the top of the bracket
(does the same on the Amp). It is probably not necessary, but I took two wire ties and wrapped them around the cable at the rub point. Then I wrapped the ties in electrical tape mimicking Ford's repair procedure for the wire harness that goes over the axle. $100 vs $330 and I think I have a similar, if not equal part. This doesn't count the $15 I spent on a thin wall 24mm socket, but I needed that anyway. YMMV

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation Set

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation step down

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation wire ties

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation ta

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation bracket
Sponsored

Last edited:

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I installed an Amp Research 'knock off' step that I bought on eBay. The seller negotiated a best offer and it cost me $100.06 with shipping. I had been looking at these on Amazon for around $150 and read lots of reviews. There are some negative reviews with one particular problem with the step breaking off. I did find Amp Research also has this problem as the step is made of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic). I had an Amp Research on my previous truck and never had a problem. I'll probably, unconsciously step toward the attachment point from now on. This knock off is every bit as heavy as the Amp and actually works a little smoother. The brackets have very clean edges and the coating is a high gloss powder. The hardware to bolt the two bracket sides is either chrome or stainless rather than black oxide. I used a YouTube Amp Research video for installation (the eBay seller provided a set of instructions for an older truck). The install was very easy and the step looks good to me. One thing I noticed is the large cable from the 7.2K plug lays against the top of the bracket
(does the same on the Amp). It is probably not necessary, but I took two wire ties and wrapped them around the cable at the rub point. Then I wrapped the ties in electrical tape mimicking Ford's repair procedure for the wire harness that goes over the axle. $100 vs $330 and I think I have a similar, if not equal part. This doesn't count the $15 I spent on a thin wall 24mm socket, but I needed that anyway. YMMV

Setp.jpeg

step down.jpeg

wire ties.jpeg

tape.jpeg

bracket.jpeg
Looks better than some of the other knock off steps. I avoided with complaints I saw online at the time of quality with some knock offs.