Sponsored

Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost?

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Pretty slick!
But kinda begs for a lift.
I have a 3 inch front and 1 inch rear lift. Haven't done the larger tires yet. My wife had trouble getting in the truck before the lift. The Aries steps have made it very easy for her to get in.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Here are pictures of the Aries step closed and open.
Looks like it's effectively 2 steps. Aesthetics wise, not my cup-o-tea. How's it been with the 3 bar leg things hanging down? I wanted a full 100" step going from front to rear tire but amp won't cut the extrusions any longer than 80" unfortunately. Wanted to duplicate the factory step's utility spanning wheel to wheel.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Looks like it's effectively 2 steps. Aesthetics wise, not my cup-o-tea. How's it been with the 3 bar leg things hanging down? I wanted a full 100" step going from front to rear tire but amp won't cut the extrusions any longer than 80" unfortunately. Wanted to duplicate the factory step's utility spanning wheel to wheel.
Yes is two steps in one. It's only extended when a door is opened. The bars are in positions that do not interfere with you getting in the truck.

Hikari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I've created a new method for putting these steps onto the powerboost that, outside of adding 2 holes for wire routing, eliminates the compatibility issues with the hybrid cooling system. It also routes the wires in a significantly better location and removes the control module from under the hood and places it inside of the truck. It will be this weekend or sometime next week I get around to finishing it up / taking some pics.
Did you ever post pics anywhere?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you ever post pics anywhere?
Here and there, I have them on my machine though. Essentially, when you install it, you install it in reverse w/ the board motors at the back. I drilled through the body and put in grommets in the rear as well as the control unit inside the back of the truck. There's 2 signal wires that run up to the front to tap into the truck for side-specific deployment on door entry. The wires are plenty long enough that if you put the unit under the factory sub, they reach where they need to go w/ ease. I've been working on other things, with a new amp and sub going in right now I've held off on the final trimming of the wire harness until I know exactly where it will end up due to the amount of work going on in that part of the truck.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Passenger side, I cut that hole. To figure out where / how to drill, locate a grommet and a hole saw to match. I went with the 1 1/8" hole saw for electrical work as I found a grommet to match it. If you see through the hole, you see more of the body. I drill small pilot holes first once I'm sure of the general area. The pilot hole is to measure off of and doesn't exactly match for the hole drill itself, though it could.

Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304063650

Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304217605

Everything reinstalled, control unit chilling under the factory sub... (was temp location, though easily perm)
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304281132

Wires roughly run, if you're not doing anything else, you can bundle them up and tuck them behind the rear wall carpet.
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304336437

Driver side hole going through (pilot / measure hole obscured under drill bit)
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304399206

Driver side underneath post install (see that white clip thing to the left -- you can see that below)
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304244501

Checking drill bit against pilot hole to see if it was a good spot, this one was good-nuff
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304508103

Driver side pilot hole (pay attention to the white clip -- you can see it under the truck in above image)
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678304701562

Sorry it's out of order, don't really have time to clean it up. Basically there are already through-body things you can reference off of. I was actually on-point with my pilot holes. I use my fingers for measuring while going for good-nuff. The thing I was after was for making sure the hole points were higher up, finished routing was hidden behind the D pillar plastic which is why I went as close to the other under-body features as possible. Measure off of anything penetrating the body.

These are old, much has changed back there :)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The approximate hole location with the plastic in-place after being put back together. Notice the bundled up extra wiring I shoved behind the back wall plastic.
Ford F-150 Amp research power steps on a PowerBoost? 1678305232475
Sponsored