Add OEM bed lighting or something else?

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
Now that I have a tonneau cover on my 22 Lariat I need to add some bed lighting. I've seen the threads about adding the OEM parts and am fine using forscan for the update. My question is more if the OEM lights are bright enough or if I would be better off getting some of the strips or rock light pod type setups that spread the light all around the bed.

Thanks
Sponsored

F150tripin

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Merc C240 Wagon - 2023 F-150 Lariat 3.5 PB
Occupation
InfoTech IP Networking/Routing/Security
I added bed lighting with this kit. No Forscan programming required. Took me about an hour total. Used a creeper to route the wiring. Got a chance to lower the spare as practice as well.

Lamps come on with the Cargo lamp and lack a soft touch switch like stock. No matter, LED lamps in this truck come with the 'bed utility package' only. A cargo lamp dash switch, or the zone lighting will also illuminate bed leds. Total cost is about 160 and an hour of your time.

https://www.starkey-products.com/Ford-F150-OEM-Style-Bed-Lighting-Kit-2021-2022

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
Now that I have a tonneau cover on my 22 Lariat I need to add some bed lighting. I've seen the threads about adding the OEM parts and am fine using forscan for the update. My question is more if the OEM lights are bright enough or if I would be better off getting some of the strips or rock light pod type setups that spread the light all around the bed.

Thanks
I opted for the bed utility package and pleased with lighting when tonneau cover is on.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I used the bed lighting kit from F150leds.com. The lighting effect itself is great, but I found the wiring to be a bit challenging. Following the official instructions and tapping into the rear floor harness resulted in the lights activating with the OEM lamps, but ONLY while the truck was running (and no control with the button in the bed).

After some trial and error, I ended up tapping into the OEM lamps directly behind the driver-side tail light. Using this method, the lights will only work when the truck is NOT running ( but can be activated with the button in the bed).

Neither config is perfect, but I found the latter to be more useful for my usage. I find I use them most often finding/unloading items after I've arrived somewhere and just turned the truck off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I added OEM bed lighting a few weeks ago. What I like about it most is I didn't need to splice in wiring; Just buy the proper harnesses and connect up to the existing harnesses.

With regard to its actual brightness--seems adequate to me. I don't know how well I'd be able to see things in the far end of the bed (I've never tried); if I needed something from there, I'd roll back the tonneau cover and use the light from the cab, since that's how I'd be able to reach it as well. However, it works well to light up near the tailgate area, which was really what I was most interested in.

I'll try to remember to take a photo this evening and post it here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I think the pro move here would be to get some strip or multi-pod lighting, but use the OEM circuit and switch (enabled by FORscan). The factory jumper harnesses could just be clipped to splice into any lights, while keeping the main harness intact.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I added OEM bed lighting a few weeks ago. What I like about it most is I didn't need to splice in wiring; Just buy the proper harnesses and connect up to the existing harnesses.

With regard to its actual brightness--seems adequate to me. I don't know how well I'd be able to see things in the far end of the bed (I've never tried); if I needed something from there, I'd roll back the tonneau cover and use the light from the cab, since that's how I'd be able to reach it as well. However, it works well to light up near the tailgate area, which was really what I was most interested in.

Here’s the OEM bed lights under a tonneau:

Ford F-150 Add OEM bed lighting or something else? 39A86A01-28CC-40B0-BF87-97C6BA068EFC

It lights up the whole bed.

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here’s the OEM bed lights under a tonneau:

39A86A01-28CC-40B0-BF87-97C6BA068EFC.jpeg

It lights up the whole bed.
I like your pull strap to close the tonneau cover. My tonneau cover does not have that and it is a challenge sometimes to close it from the side of the truck.

Will need to see about duplicating the pull strap.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I like your pull strap to close the tonneau cover. My tonneau cover does not have that and it is a challenge sometimes to close it from the side of the truck.

Will need to see about duplicating the pull strap.
Oh, that came as part of the tonneau (Pace Edwards Ultragroove). I agree--if you don't have one, it's well worth the effort to make one. Though if I had a say in design, I think that I might put it on one side rather than in the center. It sometimes catches on gear that I throw in the bed.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport

Sponsored

bsquared

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor

did you have to do any kind of programming to get them to work? I just did the same as you, and the button turns on the tailgate light, but not the bed lights

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
did you have to do any kind of programming to get them to work? I just did the same as you, and the button turns on the tailgate light, but not the bed lights
I made a few changes to the Body Control Module via forscan.

If I recall correctly, they all (bed lights and rear cab overhead light) come on as part of the rear zone lighting. Or you can turn on the bed lights with the switch in the back.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
On my Lariat (I don’t recall which trim you have) there was only 2 values I had to change and I think they were both in the BCM to get the OEM bed lights to work. I’ll see if I can dig them up

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
On my Lariat (I don’t recall which trim you have) there was only 2 values I had to change and I think they were both in the BCM to get the OEM bed lights to work. I’ll see if I can dig them up
Here's what I changed:

726-46-01 xxxx x1xx xx--
726-81-01 x2x1 xxxx xx--

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Thanks for the reminder, here is what I changed, you changed different values, but you also have a PB...

Ford F-150 Add OEM bed lighting or something else? 1676469036759

EDIT: green is before and blue is after
Sponsored