Sponsored

5.5' bed leaking badly after tri-fold install, missing piece??

Fourthewin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Real Estate
Hello Folks,

Was wondering if you all could help me. I bought an almost new Ford branded tri-fold from a gentleman the other day for my '21 F-150 Platinum. However, I noticed when I was installing it that there was a large gap in between the very front portion of the bed and in between the cab (see photos). I'm wondering if when the dealer sprayed in my bedliner, they failed to reinstall one of the pieces of the bed here. The side rails of the bed have a plastic cover but the one up front does not and it looks to be about 3/8" gap causing the bed to have a huge gap and leak badly when it rains.

Right now, I have a piece of foam backer rod in there to prevent it from leaking but was wondering if there's something I can get/purchase/DIY to prevent this from happening.

Ford F-150 5.5' bed leaking badly after tri-fold install, missing piece?? IMG_3991 copy

Ford F-150 5.5' bed leaking badly after tri-fold install, missing piece?? IMG_3986 2 copy
Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
My tri-fold cover came with a foam strip to seal that gap. It had adhesive on one side to attach to the bed. If the backer rod isn't working, I'm sure you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some foam weatherstripping similar to what came with the tri-fold.

JordanVan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Business owner
Are you sure your rails are where they need to be and that the front carriage bolts are tight? This is what it should look like.

Ford F-150 5.5' bed leaking badly after tri-fold install, missing piece?? E09FB97F-5D8A-4966-8F8A-BBFDA01157EF

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
My tri-fold cover came with a foam strip to seal that gap. It had adhesive on one side to attach to the bed. If the backer rod isn't working, I'm sure you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some foam weatherstripping similar to what came with the tri-fold.
I think @Blue22 nailed it, I had a cut-to-length strip of foam to install in that area

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
I put the stick on foam piece as well and have no leaks. Mine did not curve down like Jordan’s picture.

Sponsored

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco First Edition, 2022 F150 Platinum
Yup, missing foam at front. Do you have the drain hoses installed at each front corner?

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
Are you sure your rails are where they need to be and that the front carriage bolts are tight? This is what it should look like.

E09FB97F-5D8A-4966-8F8A-BBFDA01157EF.jpeg
When I had the Bakflip the rubber gasket along the front bed rail did not tilt down as JordanVan’s photo shows. I wish it had because this section was where I experienced frequent water leaks into the bed despite the foam spacer strip. In addition, the junction between the side rail rubber gasket and the bed rail gasket had a gap and water got into the bed. The other point of entry was at the top corners of the tailgate. I had to use additional material to close the gaps. Keeping water out led me to the Undercover one-piece cover. Different functionality but keeping water out was a priority.
Sponsored