Sponsored

2021 Sync Warning!!

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Today I lost GPS, Sat Radio and cell phone connection functionality to sync today. After trouble shooting, rebooting my truck without any success I performed a "RESET - to factory defaults". Looking back I should have disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if that reboot would work but I was not able to at the time. I can't stress this enough DO NOT DO THIS!!! I found out tonight through a very long call with Ford Pass support that the reset does not set YOUR truck back to factory defaults as to when it was purchased but to some other time in history dictated by FORD. All of my sync functions work as before the RESET but now I've lost some functionally of Ford Pass. I no longer have the functionality to be notified when my doors or tailgate are opened. I was told by tech support tonight that this function is currently being updated and has been removed and will be reinstated during the next OTA update scheduled for Oct 2023. So I have to wait four months without this ability.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY This is completely unacceptable!!! When performing a RESET to Factory defaults I should not be prohibited in getting my truck back to the configuration prior to performing the RESET. You sell the most popular purchased truck and a very popular truck for theft and you see the need to take theft detection functionality away from owners while you enhance software that should have been tested and verified prior to providing in your product line. This is poor business practice, not that it surprises me since its all about profit over employee satisfaction.

At a minimum you need state on the Sync screen that when performing a RESET you might loose functionality that you can't regain or resolve. I'm sure I'm not the only F-150 owner that has experienced this or might experience this before the next OTA update, you might want to warn owners about this.

So the question remains FORD MOTOR COMPANY What are you going to do for me?
Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
At least you ever had it. I have a 2022 and my fordpass has never had the option to notify me of doors opening.

Any vehicle that had it setup and working before they turned it off got to keep it, like you.

So now you are in the same boat as everyone else. Be patient, they'll figure it out and push it back out to all of us eventually.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah.. dont feel bad. I found out the hard way Securalert wont return after a master reset. Ford has some really crazy stuff going on. How is it they say no securalert but there are many OG trucks still with it.

Who knows if it will return. All features will return with the exception of Securalert. I found out the hard way like you

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
wow...so updates, really aren't updates....the good ole days of disconnect the battery, now can cause harm LOL

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Today I lost GPS, Sat Radio and cell phone connection functionality to sync today. After trouble shooting, rebooting my truck without any success I performed a "RESET - to factory defaults". Looking back I should have disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if that reboot would work but I was not able to at the time. I can't stress this enough DO NOT DO THIS!!! I found out tonight through a very long call with Ford Pass support that the reset does not set YOUR truck back to factory defaults as to when it was purchased but to some other time in history dictated by FORD. All of my sync functions work as before the RESET but now I've lost some functionally of Ford Pass. I no longer have the functionality to be notified when my doors or tailgate are opened. I was told by tech support tonight that this function is currently being updated and has been removed and will be reinstated during the next OTA update scheduled for Oct 2023. So I have to wait four months without this ability.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY This is completely unacceptable!!! When performing a RESET to Factory defaults I should not be prohibited in getting my truck back to the configuration prior to performing the RESET. You sell the most popular purchased truck and a very popular truck for theft and you see the need to take theft detection functionality away from owners while you enhance software that should have been tested and verified prior to providing in your product line. This is poor business practice, not that it surprises me since its all about profit over employee satisfaction.

At a minimum you need state on the Sync screen that when performing a RESET you might loose functionality that you can't regain or resolve. I'm sure I'm not the only F-150 owner that has experienced this or might experience this before the next OTA update, you might want to warn owners about this.

So the question remains FORD MOTOR COMPANY What are you going to do for me?
Also Securalert is gone forever for you now, most likely.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
At least you ever had it. I have a 2022 and my fordpass has never had the option to notify me of doors opening.

Any vehicle that had it setup and working before they turned it off got to keep it, like you.

So now you are in the same boat as everyone else. Be patient, they'll figure it out and push it back out to all of us eventually.
"Be patient, they'll figure it out" That is exactly the problem. They should have fixed this before deployment. All FORD is saying is to Hey, bend over and take.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
"Be patient, they'll figure it out" That is exactly the problem. They should have fixed this before deployment. All FORD is saying is to Hey, bend over and take.
I feel your frustration.

They should have, but so far have not. That's the end of it. I wish we could help or somehow push Ford along but we can't.

I don't like to be Mr. Absolute but if things like this make you angry maybe it's time to move onto another truck or brand? Sadly all manufacturers have these issues and typically deal with them in the same way. The only real solution is find one that pisses you off the least and try to enjoy it.

OP
OP

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I feel your frustration.

They should have, but so far have not. That's the end of it. I wish we could help or somehow push Ford along but we can't.

I don't like to be Mr. Absolute but if things like this make you angry maybe it's time to move onto another truck or brand? Sadly all manufacturers have these issues and typically deal with them in the same way. The only real solution is find one that pisses you off the least and try to enjoy it.
All due respect!

Mediocracy, wow what a way to live. Buy the least worse vehicle, marry the person who pisses you off the least, vote for the least worse person. Guess its all about settling! Why has being the best you can be been replaced by being enough to get by?

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
All due respect!

Mediocracy, wow what a way to live. Buy the least worse vehicle, marry the person who pisses you off the least, vote for the least worse person. Guess its all about settling! Why has being the best you can be been replaced by being enough to get by?
You sure took that to a little bit of a personal place.

Also FYI saying all due respect doesn't negate the negative things you say about someone, it just prefaces your statement warning that the next thing you say will probably be rude.

I never said I live my wholeife that way, my point was there is nothing we can do, so you either deal with it or you don't. Sure, you can protest it and organize people to your cause and create some sort of group that might get the attention of Ford and you can lobby for them to fix it. But come on, it's a small feature, they said it's broke and they need time to fix it. Is this really the thing you want to put all your effort into and make a stand on? If so then great for you, I applaud your tenacity, I guess for me when it comes to my vehicle of which Ford has made millions, if a particular thing doesn't work and Ford hasn't issues a recall to voluntarily fix it, I KNOW that nothing I say will make them come crawling to me apologizing and fixing it. So I choose to pick my battles, and this isn't one we can win.

I hope you can find some joy in your life and that everything doesn't ruin your day like this issue has.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Wait til op realizes his Zone lighting doesn’t work in the app..

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Funny, my truck is a year and a half behind on updates but I have Security alert and zone lighting in Fordpass. I turned then off because they are at best hit and miss. FORD has really struck out on their sync updates and functionality. FORD needs to hire a few teenagers to fix their sync programming issues.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Haha this guy is mad and thinks it's unacceptable to wait four months for an update? Unacceptable is when your truck hasn't had an update in 26 MONTHS and Ford has no clue how to fix it.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Funny, my truck is a year and a half behind on updates but I have Security alert and zone lighting in Fordpass. I turned then off because they are at best hit and miss. FORD has really struck out on their sync updates and functionality. FORD needs to hire a few teenagers to fix their sync programming issues.
With all due respect, the problem seems to be that Ford’s OTA scheme was designed by teenagers, and not by professional software engineers who understand software systems and how to debug and verify them.
True story: years ago I managed a team of engineers doing a high tech storage product. One member of my team insisted on “design by debug” … his stuff never worked right and eventually he got fired.
There are companies that have been in the software biz for decades (e.g. Microsoft, Apple) and are just now getting better at it. Not perfect, but better. Unfortunately, the auto industry in general and Ford in particular aren’t among that group.
Sooner or later Ford will learn the art of s/w engineering, including design practices, design validation, systems engineering, debug, and importantly configuration management.
PS: I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but IMHO you are closer than you might think.
Sponsored

Last edited: