Sponsored

2021 F150 Rust spots

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hey guys,

I'm super dissapointed by the appearces of brake or rust spots 22000k in. It's all over the truck on the lower half, including the tailgate.
I do light driving.

I 3M'd the front, a and b pilers when purchased. I applied a light wax to the rest of the vehicle and clean regularly EXCEPT for the last 4 months. When I washed today I did a double take in disbelief.

Honestly I hate the fact vehicle paint (imo) has not improved at all in 20 years.These issuesshould be non exsistant in 2023 by a factory application of something /endrant.

Anyways, I think I will be claybaring, iron remover and ceramic appy soon, but wanted to ask how to do that around the 3M front of the truck. I just go around I suppose>? I dont have any swirl marks so wont have to buff anything around that area.

Thoughts? Poor photos attached

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Rust spots PXL_20230224_193817251
Sponsored

Texas2022XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
I’d take it in to the dealer for a warranty claim if it all over.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
My wife has the exact same issue on her civic (also white) I do not have this issue on my grey f-150 (both cars are cleaned and maintained the same)

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
This is most likely rail dust contamination caused by hot brake embers on the train burning thru the clearcoat during transport. If you maintain the appearance like you seem to have, it can take awhile for it to appear.

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
That is what is called iron fallout or industrial fallout every vehicle has or will get it. even if you have a quality wax or ceramic coating or some sort of paint protectant you will get this issue you cant see it as well on darker vehicles. btw my antimater blue with ceramic coating has some spots and will be removed in the springtime when the weather isnt so cruddy. your rust spots are most likely from brake dust that has attached to the clear coat. its not a warranty claim or ford problem. It is fairly simple to remove but can be tedious. one way is to clay bar the entire vehicle and apply a new layer of wax or protectant. another removal process is to use a iron fallout remover when you hand wash your vehicle. The easiest way to remove them is to take it to a proffessional detailer or paint correction place and have them do it but that is going to be a little more expencive.

if you want to diy then look up some youtube videos on iron fallout removal or claying your vehicle.

btw the body pannels on the f150s are aluminum they dont rust to a orange rust color they turn to a chalky white dust.

Sponsored

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Every car I've ever owned has this. Once a year it gets cleaned off with a clay mit and some Optimum no rinse rinse diluted 16:1. Shows up more white but guarantee its present on all vehicles operating in the same environment.

Edit: meguiars ALL wheel cleaner makes quick work of it too, if you're looking for a product in store.

Last edited:

uk_brewer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
That is what is called iron fallout or industrial fallout every vehicle has or will get it. even if you have a quality wax or ceramic coating or some sort of paint protectant you will get this issue you cant see it as well on darker vehicles. btw my antimater blue with ceramic coating has some spots and will be removed in the springtime when the weather isnt so cruddy. your rust spots are most likely from brake dust that has attached to the clear coat. its not a warranty claim or ford problem. It is fairly simple to remove but can be tedious. one way is to clay bar the entire vehicle and apply a new layer of wax or protectant. another removal process is to use a iron fallout remover when you hand wash your vehicle. The easiest way to remove them is to take it to a proffessional detailer or paint correction place and have them do it but that is going to be a little more expencive.

if you want to diy then look up some youtube videos on iron fallout removal or claying your vehicle.

btw the body pannels on the f150s are aluminum they dont rust to a orange rust color they turn to a chalky white dust.

Do a quick YouTube for Pan the Organizer. He's got some great videos on car detailing, including iron removal, coatings etc.

MDPE

First Name
MD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
That will come off with clay bar. It's iron, environmental contamination. Iron removers (like Adams and others you can buy on Amazon) should remove it as well, however those are harsh and need to be used out of sunlight, and they also can strip your paint protectant. This is not a Ford defect.

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Had a silver rav and a white pilot….both did this. It’s from the disc brakes. Not much you can do about it to my knowledge. Just shows up on lighter colours

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Ceramic coat the paint. I did CQuartz UK 3.0 and it really helps keep the truck and my wife's car clean. The direct just does not stay on. But I'm impressed at how much less brake dust I have now with the powerboost compared to my previous trucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KDK

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Thank you for this detailed response. Ok was going nuts from thinking I missed this from receiving the vehicle two years ago new. I never would of missed this. And I would of ceramic the vehicle had.I known.

Again, just like the pumpkin rear axle being rusted on arrival this is absolutely BS that they haven't developed or figured out something to prevent this.

I'll do the DYI claybar for now and look at professional ceramic in spring.

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
Lol. There's nothing wrong with your paint.
Buy Iron-X. Spray truck down and rinse off. It'll all melt off. (Use rubber gloves and a respirator. It is a very nasty chemical.)

Roush Auto Detailing

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
This is indeed iron fall out. It is likely the worst on the tailgate. Wash your truck really well, then spray an iron remover all over (paint, glass, and plastics). You will know it is working when it turns purple. If the truck is in sunlight be sure to lightly wet the surface if it looks like it is drying. Once it has been 2-3 minutes, THROUGHLY rinse off the panel (pressure washer is preferred). I personally do a quick wash again to ensure all the residue is removed.

Clay bar is not guaranteed to remove the iron deposits. Clay bar will often mar/scratch the paint. I always chemically decontaminate the paint before doing it mechanically for that reason.

FYI - All iron removers will smell like rotten eggs. That is the surfactant in the chemical that dissolves the iron particles. If you are doing this on a paved or concrete driveway, make sure to rinse the surface off well! it will stain if left on.

Standup

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford f150
Hey guys,

I'm super dissapointed by the appearces of brake or rust spots 22000k in. It's all over the truck on the lower half, including the tailgate.
I do light driving.

I 3M'd the front, a and b pilers when purchased. I applied a light wax to the rest of the vehicle and clean regularly EXCEPT for the last 4 months. When I washed today I did a double take in disbelief.

Honestly I hate the fact vehicle paint (imo) has not improved at all in 20 years.These issuesshould be non exsistant in 2023 by a factory application of something /endrant.

Anyways, I think I will be claybaring, iron remover and ceramic appy soon, but wanted to ask how to do that around the 3M front of the truck. I just go around I suppose>? I dont have any swirl marks so wont have to buff anything around that area.

Thoughts? Poor photos attached

PXL_20230224_193817251.jpg
What year is your f150? Is it happening on the front and back? Have you found a solution to
Take it off? Mine has this as well.

OP
OP
KDK

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hey yeah I ended up paying a shop to clay bar and I believe iron wash. Helped alot, 90% removed. But they would come back over time I'm sure. No permanent solution other than a ceramic coating probably. For 100$ every few years Ill stick to what's worked.
Sponsored