2.7 Payload package question.

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Hey guys. Leaning towards a 2.7 4x4 with the payload package. Just curious how the payload package might affect the ride and the fuel economy. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the package on a 2.7.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sponsored

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Not sure about the ride quality, but expect it to reduce your fuel mileage since you go to the 3.73 rear axle ratio. Wish I knew by how much but only real world experience will be able to forgive that one out.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Hey guys. Leaning towards a 2.7 4x4 with the payload package. Just curious how the payload package might affect the ride and the fuel economy. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the package on a 2.7.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Anytime you increase payload the ride quality will be stiffer. It won’t take it from Lincoln to gravel truck though. I doubt it will be noticeable in most conditions. The economy will suffer as you will be get the 3.73 but it’s well worth it. That engine plus a 3.73 will come out of the hole very strong. The highway mileage won’t suffer much as the 10 speed has a very tall final drive.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Anytime you increase payload the ride quality will be stiffer. It won’t take it from Lincoln to gravel truck though. I doubt it will be noticeable in most conditions. The economy will suffer as you will be get the 3.73 but it’s well worth it. That engine plus a 3.73 will come out of the hole very strong. The highway mileage won’t suffer much as the 10 speed has a very tall final drive.
I have the 2.7 coupled with the 3.73, without the HDPP. I can say that it definitely comes out of the hole very strong. That’s exactly why I opted for the 3.73. As for MPG, it’s very cold in my neck of the woods and I’m still on my very first tank of gas and I’m showing 19 MPG with a mix of city and highway. That will improve of course.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I have the 2.7 in my current 2016 Lariat. I pulled a car trailer with a 2016 Ford Escape about 300 miles on the interstate. Of course, we drove 60 mph to be safe. The truck pulled like a champ, and got 17 mpg on the trip. TBH, I was worried about the weight pulled and the dealer I bought the truck from said, "the truck is built to do the job".

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I have the 2.7 in my current 2016 Lariat. I pulled a car trailer with a 2016 Ford Escape about 300 miles on the interstate. Of course, we drove 60 mph to be safe. The truck pulled like a champ, and got 17 mpg on the trip. TBH, I was worried about the weight pulled and the dealer I bought the truck from said, "the truck is built to do the job".
All of the modern drive trains above the 3.3 are more than capable of pulling any load that is reasonable. The two limiting factors will be are they capable of maintaining the cooling to keep the fluids at acceptable levels or do they run out of payload.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
I have the 2.7 coupled with the 3.73, without the HDPP. I can say that it definitely comes out of the hole very strong. That’s exactly why I opted for the 3.73. As for MPG, it’s very cold in my neck of the woods and I’m still on my very first tank of gas and I’m showing 19 MPG with a mix of city and highway. That will improve of course.
You also equipped with 4wd?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What did u drive before and how does it compare?
I had a 2016 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7EB and 3.73. My truck up until 3 weeks ago was a 2018 super crew 4x4 with the 3.5EB and 3.55. My butt dyno tells me it’s a toss up between the 2016 and the 2021. While the 3.5 was strong, it just didn’t seem to have the quickness of either of my trucks with the 2.7.
That’s my own personal opinion of course.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I had a 2016 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7EB and 3.73. My truck up until 3 weeks ago was a 2018 super crew 4x4 with the 3.5EB and 3.55. My butt dyno tells me it’s a toss up between the 2016 and the 2021. While the 3.5 was strong, it just didn’t seem to have the quickness of either of my trucks with the 2.7.
That’s my own personal opinion of course.
The 2.7 has a stronger early power curve. It also gets on boost quicker due to the integrated manifold design. It gives a very strong tip in feel to the throttle. It can’t hang with the bigger EcoBoost under a heavy work condition pulling a big trailer up a hill etc. but it’s arguably a better engine for an unloaded or lightly loaded truck.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 2.7 has a stronger early power curve. It also gets on boost quicker due to the integrated manifold design. It gives a very strong tip in feel to the throttle. It can’t hang with the bigger EcoBoost under a heavy work condition pulling a big trailer up a hill etc. but it’s arguably a better engine for an unloaded or lightly loaded truck.
I agree with everything you say. No question the 3.5 is the mill to have for towing and other heavier duty uses. In my case I don’t tow anything so the 2.7 is the perfect engine for my purposes. I just love the throttle tip in and response and the greatly reduced turbo lag. Such a great little motor.

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Thanks for the info guys. Certainly think I will go with the package.
Sponsored