Payload Question

nyctpt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hello all, new to the forum been lurking for a bit. Brought home a 21 xlt screw 302a 5.0last week, and it is fantastic. Coming from a 15’ Tacoma, which was a great truck (and I made out like a bandit on trade), but the f150 is such a huge step up it’s crazy. Always been a Ford guy, had a fox body Mustang, a bronco 2, ranger, and others over the years.

Payload on the new truck is 1927, which is awesome. No towing pkg but the hitch, but that’s ok because I’m more likely to use the bed, and if I tow it’ll be no where near the limit.

So here’s my question: Am I limited first by the payload and then the GVWR, or only the GVWR and the payload number is provided for convenience? In other words if I have half a tank of gas can I add 80lbs or so to my payload? It’s kind of academic because I don’t see myself in that position, and I don’t think going over by 80lbs is going to have some catastrophic effect on the truck. Just curious because that would mean I can put 1 ton in my 1/2 ton truck provided the gas tank isn’t full, and I think that would be cool to say LOL.

Including a pic, I have the luck of having a detailer for a friend. Pulled off the stickers, gave it a good wash and light buff, still decided on ceramic.

Ryan

Ford F-150 Payload Question 82C2CA5A-7941-4F79-A7C7-8AFE797057A3
Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I think the answer is that GVWR is a combination of your payload and your truck. So yes the payload sticker basically is telling you what you have left for payload with your truck optioned like it is.