12v Battery Charge Limits

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
My 2022 very rarely goes above 60% charged, and i've been trying to install 6.8.0, but it keeps failing (I am assuming due to 12v battery charge status, because every other condition should be good).

I decided to hook the truck up to a battery charger, and connected the negative terminal after the BMS. It charged up to 60% (confirmed with both HA feed and FORScan) then stopped. When I connected it directly to the battery, it started charging again at full speed. I checked the limit in FORScan and it was set to 80%. I bumped it up to 90% but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I could see that FORScan knew it was a "conventional charger", and i'm wondering if the BMS for some reason is limiting that type of charge, when the truck is not running?

The battery was replaced less than a year ago and the BMS was reset at that time. I'm wondering if maybe tonight I should charge directly to the battery and let it sit overnight, hoping the BMS relearns something without doing a reset?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Texas2022XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
Yes I’d charge your battery over night. I had to do this a few weeks ago to get 6.5 to install. Really sucks we have to go through all this trouble to get updates to install. Also reset the BMS after changing.

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
if you charge without the bms, let the truck sit undisturbed for like 8 hours. It should learn the new soc.

If you reset the bms, it will reset the battery age as well. So typically you only do that when putting in a new battery.

OP
OP

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Alright, I'll try that. I'll throw it on the charger until it's full, then disconnect everything and let it sit till tomorrow and see what it reports.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I wonder if you could have an issue with your BMS. I always charge behind the BMS so it sees the charge occurring and achieve a full charge without issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
I wonder if you could have an issue with your BMS. I always charge behind the BMS so it sees the charge occurring and achieve a full charge without issue.
That's what i'm thinking too. I went directly to battery last night after driving 2+ hours until it was charged. BMS stated I was at 59% when it was done, and down to 44% this morning.

OP
OP

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Truck went to deep sleep yesterday around 3pm.. I guess charging it didn't work.. Have an appt with ford today, going to bring it up.
Sponsored