Sponsored

J & L oil separator, anyone install it anywhere other than by the battery?

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
So I have this sitting on my bench ready to install. I originally watched the install video for the POWERboost 3.5L and theirs is installed on the firewall all tucked away out of site.

Little did I realize the regular 3.5L is installed by the battery and towers over the engine bay. Now regardless I'm going to install it because I want the benefit of having it, but I was wondering if anyone has installed it anywhere other than right next to the battery as the instruction tell you to?

Some pictures for reference.

Also apologies if a thread exists, I tried searching but between J&L, J and L, J & L, catch can, oil separator, I wasn't finding what I was looking for.

Ford F-150 J & L oil separator, anyone install it anywhere other than by the battery? ecoboost JL
Ford F-150 J & L oil separator, anyone install it anywhere other than by the battery? powerboost JL
Sponsored

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
I installed mine a few weeks back in the battery position, to say it towers over everything, meh. But the power boost location is where I would like it, if ya manage to get it there, please post up pics and how ya did it.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I used the battery location, but I modified (shorten) the bracket though. I didn't like it sticking up in the middle of nowhere. Plus it allowed me to shorten the hoses and remove the stress on the engine fittings.

If I followed the directions (no fun in that) the hoses would bend below the engine connections points. We're not talking about a lot of oil at any one time, but I didn't want any oil to collect in the lower hose bends, potentially blocking the PCV system. I wasn't sure the oil build up would blow upward and into the catch can.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Ya knw what they say... when all else fails read the directions... Seems odd that they'd want it by the battery. I'd expect the tap-in locations to be the same... Why couldn't you just buy the PowerBoost kit?

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I didn't know there was a PowerBoost version until I finally looked at installing this. I've had it for a good 2 weeks. I'm not 100% sure if the same mounting point on the firewall is even there. I am pretty sure I don't have the metal bracket to the right of it.

Thanks for the input, I'll play around and see what I come up with.

I like the idea of just shortening the bracket and hoses, seems simple enough.

Sponsored

jersey jeff

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I installed the power boost version of this today on my regular 3.5 eco boost engine. Everything fit and I'll see how it works out. I'm not sure if the length of the hose's will effect the efficiency of how this operates but I wanted a better mounting location. Would mounting the collector using shorter hoses make a difference?

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I used the battery location, but I modified (shorten) the bracket though. I didn't like it sticking up in the middle of nowhere
I didn’t like it sticking up either, more obvious it doesn’t belong there. I cut it in the middle and lowered it about 1-1/4” and used a couple of #6 stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts. Now that it’s lower you can also carefully shorten the hoses too.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
How are y’all shortening the hoses, I had one from last gen. I need to lengthen mine!

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
They recently changed the mounting location for the EcoBoost to the same as the Power Boost.
I have it on my 2023 and it's a much cleaner look.
Sponsored