• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and...

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Yes, they could have engineered something simplier, but that would have cost money and required parts that would be purchased in much lower volumes.
This is definitely something to keep in mind. It appears Ford vastly underestimated the amount of demand, so before that they weren't planning on making a ton of these vehicles. It just doesn't make sense to needlessly redesign something that would've only had less than 100k units made.
Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I love floor shifter, can't see myself drive without it. Certainly prefers manual shifting on a floor shifter (-/+ button) than steering wheels paddles.

Agree with you on the motorized folding of the shifter. A mechanical release knob would be perfectly fine, perhaps even better.
It really does not need a shifter, a few buttons solve the problem...

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
This is definitely something to keep in mind. It appears Ford vastly underestimated the amount of demand, so before that they weren't planning on making a ton of these vehicles. It just doesn't make sense to needlessly redesign something that would've only had less than 100k units made.
From my perspective it was a dumb design in the ICE version. All the trucks should be using a modern space efficient design.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I'm fairly certain Ford was/is well aware of the demand they could expect for the single best selling truck in the US. At least, I certainly hope so!

In any case, in regard to where to store the bikes when out and about: in the bed...locked to the sides. If you want to get really fancy install a tonneau cover. :)

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I'm fairly certain Ford was/is well aware of the demand they could expect for the single best selling truck in the US. At least, I certainly hope so!
They definitely weren't aware of the amount of demand until they were. They've gone on record multiple times stating as much.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Shifter needed or not, I'm thrilled that the Lightning is an F150 inside and out. Perhaps even to a fault.
I would be FAR less smitten by the thing if it looked like another Star Trek exercise.

I'm happy that others find that motif appealing, but even with all the modesty I can muster I can't see myself rolling down the road with my cowboy hat and boots on in one of those spaceships.

That Ford approach has me eating EV crow big time. I didn't see anything like it coming.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Re: shifter—not sure why they don’t just stick a dial on the dash?
Be careful what you wish for. Our Ram has a dial on the dash that is right next to radio volume button. I have caught myself trying to adjust the volume using the shifter dial a few times.

whitelightning

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustagn
I hate my console shifter with a passion. It’s such a waste of valuable space. I need a place for my phone, drinks, masks, sunglasses, gloves, tools, and what ever else is in my pockets. Has Ford ever seen the inside of a truck that’s actually used for work? I’ll take a column shifter or a dial or anything except another console shifter

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They definitely weren't aware of the amount of demand until they were. They've gone on record multiple times stating as much.
Your point was that they wouldn't want to waste development dollars on a vehicle that might only see 100K production numbers. That only makes sense if we're talking about a vehicle like the Maverick; it isn't a genuine concern with the F150--their bread and butter vehicle.

Even if we believe that Ford somehow couldn't anticipate demand for the 2021 (or even 2022) F150 they had to have known they would be making more of them regardless because this is the future of the F150. Maybe it takes ten years to sell a million of them, or maybe they sell a million of them as soon as they can make a million of them, but there's no realistic scenario where the F150 EV was going to be a limited run.

To that point, it's less expensive to engineer changes now than it will be in the future if for no other reason than inflation.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Your point was that they wouldn't want to waste development dollars on a vehicle that might only see 100K production numbers. That only makes sense if we're talking about a vehicle like the Maverick; it isn't a genuine concern with the F150--their bread and butter vehicle.

Even if we believe that Ford somehow couldn't anticipate demand for the 2021 (or even 2022) F150 they had to have known they would be making more of them regardless because this is the future of the F150. Maybe it takes ten years to sell a million of them, or maybe they sell a million of them as soon as they can make a million of them, but there's no realistic scenario where the F150 was going to be a limited run.

To that point, it's less expensive to engineer changes now than it will be in the future if for no other reason than inflation.
But the Gen 1 Lightning, will only be in production for a few years (until they have a new bottom up EV truck platform using the new facilities they are building in Tennessee and Kentucky - target 2026 MY), so even with them doing every thing they can to boost production - it is only ~200k to ~250k units total for all Gen 1s.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But the Gen 1 Lightning, will only be in production for a few years
Fair enough. These arguments, however, rely on the premise there is some cap to how many units are ultimately going to be manufactured. There's no upper bound because even when they produce a new EV truck they aren't going to get rid of the F150--it'll just be an additional model.

For those reasons I'd argue development dollars aren't wasted on the Gen1 Lightning because those changes would carry over to Gen2 (and Gen3, etc.). It's far more likely they retained the shifter console to reduce the differences between the EV F150 and ICE F150 than to reduce costs to themselves. As someone already mentioned, it's likely it cost more to implement this than it would have been to just leave it out completely.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I hate my console shifter with a passion. It’s such a waste of valuable space. I need a place for my phone, drinks, masks, sunglasses, gloves, tools, and what ever else is in my pockets. Has Ford ever seen the inside of a truck that’s actually used for work? I’ll take a column shifter or a dial or anything except another console shifter
i use that big shifter spot to hold my big coffee mugs.
Bth fit in there just fine.
This is my first AT truck ever, and since I ordered that big ol console, I was sure to get a mug holder.
Besides, I drove one with the console shift. Did not feel right as the shifter handle was too much lower than the console lid. F felt unnatural resting my arm and holding shifter.

OP
OP

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT

In any case, in regard to where to store the bikes when out and about: in the bed...locked to the sides. If you want to get really fancy install a tonneau cover. :)
Given a mid level bike starts at 3k, thieves will go to a lot of effort to get a bike. I had one stolen (locked) several years ago. Takes less than a minute to cut through a U lock with an angle grinder and locking to the bed you'll probably use a cable (worthless) or chain. Inside cab, locked together, covered with something, it ends up being too much hassle in a parking lot, move onto easier prey.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Given a mid level bike starts at 3k, thieves will go to a lot of effort to get a bike. I had one stolen (locked) several years ago. Takes less than a minute to cut through a U lock with an angle grinder and locking to the bed you'll probably use a cable (worthless) or chain. Inside cab, locked together, covered with something, it ends up being too much hassle in a parking lot, move onto easier prey.
Pro move - only use Walmart bikes. You can get them on clearance for like $50.

My current bike is a used Schwinn from Walmart I picked up for $25 at a yard sale. Been using it for years

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm familiar with the cost of bikes. Whether it's worth $10,000, 3,000 or even a 100 bucks your cabin doesn't present a whole lot of challenge to any would-be thieves. Doing all those things you described is more likely to draw attention to the valuables inside than it is to protect them.

My profession puts me in regular contact with thieves. You don't have to believe me but it takes even less time to enter your vehicle than it would extracting something from the bed--and the bed doesn't provide any cover for the thieves while they're working unlike the cabin. I won't go into details but bike thieves usually aren't sawing/grinding or anything noisy like that. The methods used only require seconds to breach standard security measures. The same is true for car thieves (and by extension breaching a cabin).

I made no suggestions regarding how someone should secure their bike to the bed. I expect whomever has this concern is smart enough to figure out a reasonably secure method to attach it to the bed. No amount of locking something up is going to stop someone determined enough to steal another's things. The point I was trying to convey to you was that locking it up inside the cabin is only going to give you a false sense of security.

The most secure solution I recommended to you was to use a tonneau cover because that both hardens the target and hides the goods.
Sponsored

Last edited: