Sponsored

Does Blind Spot Monitoring give audible warning in 2021?

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Has anyone driven the 21 with BSM and noticed if Ford added audible warning when your turn signal is on and a car is in your blind spot or do we still just get the warning light in the mirror?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Has anyone driven the 21 with BSM and noticed if Ford added audible warning when your turn signal is on and a car is in your blind spot or do we still just get the warning light in the mirror?
I have not noticed audible warnings, just visual. If there is a way to toggle on audible warnings I just haven’t found it yet. My guess is that it’s not available.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I have not noticed audible warnings, just visual. If there is a way to toggle on audible warnings I just haven’t found it yet. My guess is that it’s not available.
On previous Ford’s I’ve driven that have been equipped with BLIS, the warnings have been visual only (in the mirror), with no way to turn on an audible alert.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Why does one need an audible warning when using a turn signal.

The warning light and most important, the drivers eyes are all that’s needed.

An audible warning would only cause another distraction for the driver when he or she is out on the road.

Leave the audible warnings for ‘slow” moving situations such as parking and backing up.

OP
OP
2dogcamper

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Why does one need an audible warning when using a turn signal.

The warning light and most important, the drivers eyes are all that’s needed.

An audible warning would only cause another distraction for the driver when he or she is out on the road.

Leave the audible warnings for ‘slow” moving situations such as parking and backing up.
My wife’s Mazda has it and it’s much better in heavy fast moving traffic. You go from checking the blind spot to looking forward to make sure no one is slamming on the brakes and someone two lanes over takes the spot you get the audible waring. My 2016 F150 is light only and the Mazda system is better.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
My wife’s Mazda has it and it’s much better in heavy fast moving traffic. You go from checking the blind spot to looking forward to make sure no one is slamming on the brakes and someone two lanes over takes the spot you get the audible waring. My 2016 F150 is light only and the Mazda system is better.
Ummmmmmm, was she driving before these features became available on vehicles?

If not, then I can understand her needing / relying on these features.

No offense.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
An audible turn indicator “ reminder” would be a decent idea.
A lot of vehicle do not have very noticeable clickers.
More than a few traffic light controlled soft left and right turns near me that are not enough to cancel the turn signals.
With my steering wheel down, the dash indicators are not readily visible—this is in my Ranger and the K1500.
An audible chime or “key in ignition” warning would be welcome to me.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I've only seen the bright yellow light in the mirror.. Have seen no option for audible..

Chief Bast

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB, FX4, Iconic Silver
Occupation
Secret Squirrel
Just thought I would resurrect this old post as I was playing around with the BLIS settings earlier hoping it would give me an option for some kind of audible alert or chime when using the turn signals to change lanes (if there is a vehicle in the adjacent lane). So far it still doesn't appear to be the case.

Our 2016 Kia Sedona has this feature and to a less functional extent, so did our 2018 CR-V. Yes, there's no replacement for situation awareness, but in the fast-moving, multi-lane highways of DFW, having an extra, adudible layer of defense against the truck's blind spot would be helpful. I admit the light in the side mirrors is easy for me to miss.

I'm hoping that a future BLIS or Sync update (or perhaps a Forscan adjustment) might eventually provide this feature for us F150 owners.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Ummmmm, how long have you guys been driving. ?

Visual and audible tech without warning can fail at anytime so your faith should be in the actual mirror itself, your eyes looking in the mirror, and your physical reflexes.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Visual and audible tech without warning can fail at anytime so your faith should be in the actual mirror itself, your eyes looking in the mirror, and your physical reflexes.
Faith has nothing to do with it. You should be doing a head check over your shoulder, not relying on the mirror. BLIS is the backup, not the primary safety mechanism. And since you asked, I've been driving since 1984. My first car didn't even have a passenger side mirror, they were optional then.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Faith has nothing to do with it. You should be doing a head check over your shoulder, not relying on the mirror. BLIS is the backup, not the primary safety mechanism. And since you asked, I've been driving since 1984. My first car didn't even have a passenger side mirror, they were optional then.
Very true and based on my initial reply, a head check would be normal and natural movements if one has been driving for awhile so my mistake for assuming some would automatically know this.

Again, if you’re relying on or worrying about an audible or visual backup……your words, tells me that you don’t trust your reflexes or eyes 100% of the time.

Like you, my first car, a 65 Mustang, didn’t have a passenger side mirror.

To each his or her own but I see people every day on the road and of all ages relying on the tech in question and its just sad and dangerous and the same thing applies to people backing out and in using the backup camera only.

Be safe out there people.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
Ummmmmmm, was she driving before these features became available on vehicles?

If not, then I can understand her needing / relying on these features.

No offense.
Whether you think it's necessary or not.... having driven with both I'll take an audible warning any day.
No offense....these options have been available for years on other vehicles.
Doesn't mean people "need" them.
It's like any other option on a vehicle.....it's rarely a "need".
But whatever

Last edited:

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150

You being a hero isn't what this thread is abo
Very true and based on my initial reply, a head check would be normal and natural movements if one has been driving for awhile so my mistake for assuming some would automatically know this.

Again, if you’re relying on or worrying about an audible or visual backup……your words, tells me that you don’t trust your reflexes or eyes 100% of the time.

Like you, my first car, a 65 Mustang, didn’t have a passenger side mirror.

To each his or her own but I see people every day on the road and of all ages relying on the tech in question and its just sad and dangerous and the same thing applies to people backing out and in using the backup camera only.

Be safe out there people.
Who cares?
OP asks a simple question....
Sponsored