Sponsored

Audio alert for blind spot detection?

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
2021 F150 XLT 302A with 360 cam and BLIS.

My wife made a comment to me this weekend stating "doesn't the truck give an audio alert/chime when it detects something in your blind spot? It gives you a tiny orange symbol in both mirrors, so you think it should be able to throw an audio alert."

This got me looking all over the set-up thinking I missed something all these 16 or so months owning this Job1 build.

I know it loves to alert me when the front/rear are really close to objects as well as the car in front of you makes an aggressive deceleration motion.

Any of your F150 2021+ owners have audio alert when your truck detects something in the blind spot?
Sponsored

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Knowing another vehicle is in your blindspot is information you only need when you are planning to turn accross bike lanes or change lanes or whatever....all times when you are looking in the mirrors.

Every car you overtake ( pass) while driving in the fast lane or every car that passes you if you are in the slower lanes triggers the BLIS, but if you aren't planning a lane change it would just be a distraction to alert you with information you don't need.

Reactions: sbi

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Let me add.. This alert would only chime if you hit your turn signal to change lanes and something was in your blindspot.
So you'd have to listen to it while you're trying to merge and that jerk won't speed up or slow down and the exit is coming up and the car in front won't move and WHY DID I TURN ON THAT DAMN BEEPING!

Or when I know there is a car alongside but I'm signaling early and the system rapidly flashes the indicator to let me know what I already see. I already feel that's dramatic.

The science behind alerts is they only work if they are truly an exception. If they chime all the time, the effectiveness is greatly reduced.

I think it could work in conjunction with the IR face cameras from BlueCruise. My lady's Subaru has the driver monitor system with the same tech, and its sensitive enough to notice you looking down at your phone, so it could detect if you didn't look over at your mirror when signaling.

I think it just wouldn't get used much for the criticism you are seeing here. Even if it's a small feature, it's one less thing to program and bug report in an already complex vehicle.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
A safety system that depends on drivers using turn signals....

what could possibly go wrong?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Having it as a setting you can turn on or off would be a positive. The ability to add or disable safety features is never a bad thing.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Let me add.. This alert would only chime if you hit your turn signal to change lanes and something was in your blindspot.

That's not a bad idea. At least maybe for the first 3 flashes of the signal.

There's a lot of "merge first, look 2nd" type drivers that will lane change simultaneously while signaling.

That's if they even bother to signal in the first place!

Sponsored

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 502A Atlas Blue (on order)
I agree, this would be good. For what it’s worth, I thought (almost) ever other carmaker has blind spot detection that works with an audio alert. Certainly my 2018 Honda Odyssey does. Once in a while, there’s a false positive (mostly when I’m in the right lane of double-left turning lanes- or vice versa), but you learn to ignore those warnings.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The F150 Blind spot indicator flashes rapidly if changing lanes while a car is present in the blind spot. The only time a sound is made is for cross traffic if you are backing up and a vehicle is approaching from either side it will indicate with a sound and display on screen the side of approach.

Edit - the blind spot indicator flashed rapidly while changing lanes if you are using your turn signal.

Last edited:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I do find it odd Ford does not give you the option of an audible as well as a visual alert that my 2018 Jeep Wrangler had on it. With the Jeep it only came on when you engaged your turn signal. In settings you could choose, visual only, visual and audible together or off all together, I thought it was good having a choice although I turned off the audible as I found it most annoying.

OP
OP
discothan

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Healthy discussion here. Thanks for your thoughts. Similar @nvabill, my wife's Jeep has blind spot audio and visual warning when the turn signal is active. The safety feature can be toggled on/off.

With how car makers are deleting options, I probably won't hold by breathe waiting/wishing/hoping for Ford to drop this into a 2021.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I really wish it did. My Genesis before this did it. I’ve gotten used to looking for the blinking light, but I feel like I’m focusing on it a bit more than I should be to make sure I see it if it were to show up. Didn’t have to think about it in the Genesis, as I’d get quite a loud chime to warn me
Sponsored