Wireless Charger Overheating Phone?

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I've been waiting to see if anyone else has this issue but haven't really seen it pop up so I'm beginning to think it's just me. If I charge my phone on the wireless charger, my phone turns off in about 45 mins due to overheating. I have the iPhone 12 Pro so nothing out of the ordinary. I use a wireless charger at home and at work with no issue and I'm curious if anyone else is having an overheating issue.
Sponsored

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I've been waiting to see if anyone else has this issue but haven't really seen it pop up so I'm beginning to think it's just me. If I charge my phone on the wireless charger, my phone turns off in about 45 mins due to overheating. I have the iPhone 12 Pro so nothing out of the ordinary. I use a wireless charger at home and at work with no issue and I'm curious if anyone else is having an overheating issue.
Sorry i don't have the wireless charger (Lariat here). But i have noticed my phone overheating just by simply using the wireless Carplay. Have you noticed the same while using wireless Carplay or Android auto?

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
No issue here with my iPhone 12 Pro and wireless in my PB, but the longest trip I have taken so far is about 30 minutes. I have not noticed the phone warmer than usual but I'll pay attention to it more.

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
Sorry i don't have the wireless charger (Lariat here). But i have noticed my phone overheating just by simply using the wireless Carplay. Have you noticed the same while using wireless Carplay or Android auto?
I haven't noticed any kind of heating up when using Carplay but I do use Carplay while it's on the charger so maybe that has something to do with it

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Corporate Finance
No issue here with my iPhone 12 Pro and wireless in my PB, but the longest trip I have taken so far is about 30 minutes. I have not noticed the phone warmer than usual but I'll pay attention to it more.
Do you use Carplay while it's charging as well? After 30 min of charging and while connected to Carplay, it's for sure hotter than usual if I pick it up.

Sponsored

KwitcherBitchin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agate Black XLT
Do you use Carplay while it's charging as well? After 30 min of charging and while connected to Carplay, it's for sure hotter than usual if I pick it up.
Had similar issue and my battery would also constantly drain. Seen some issues on the net with Music Apps (Apple, Amazon etc...) causing issues constantly running BT even when app was closed.
I was using Amazon Music and it was causing my problem on my Iphone6....deleted it and no more issues

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Yes, I pretty much only use Car Play. I have only had my truck for a week, so I am paying more attention to it now. I have had the wireless charging disengage with a warning note come up a few times - I chalk that up to finding the sweet spot in placing my phone. Perhaps it is not charging as much as I think, and therefore not getting hot? iPhone 12 battery has been so good and my drive to work so short that I may not have noticed.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I am new to using android auto (hated it in my 2017) but have been using it wirelessly in my new one, and it is awesome!

That being said, it does get my phone HOT (galaxy s20+) while also fast charging from the USB-C inside the console. My phone does not shut down but the charger will stop until it is safe (cool) enough again.

I suspect it is the continual uplink of Wifi data. It may not optimize for transmitting such a short distance (there is no wifi spec requirement to use a lower TX power) unlike Bluetooth where the master/slave can optimize the power based on distance on the fly.

So yes I concur it does heat up the phone if charging while carplay/android auto are constantly updating the Sync screen. It may be something we'll have to just "deal with" for the time being.

Flyboy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
I just picked up my 2021 King Ranch a week ago. My iPhone 12 Pro heats up and does not charge at all. I called Ford and they said to take it back to the dealer. It works fine when wireless charged at home or plugged into the USB on the truck. I have to assume there is an issue here.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked up my 2021 King Ranch a week ago. My iPhone 12 Pro heats up and does not charge at all. I called Ford and they said to take it back to the dealer. It works fine when wireless charged at home or plugged into the USB on the truck. I have to assume there is an issue here.
Are you using carplay at the same time? Wifi transmit is one of the highest power consumers you can do on the phone (or LTE upload, wifi hotspot, basically any high powered transmit). At home you likely are not doing that. As an experiment, you can try seeing if the phone still overheats while wireless charging in airplane mode.

It defeats the purpose, but at least you have the root cause that charging+high consumption causes excess heat.

Hopefully the solution isn't that we need to put a small USB fan next to it to blow air over the phone on the wireless charger! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWD24LL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Flyboy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
Are you using carplay at the same time? Wifi transmit is one of the highest power consumers you can do on the phone (or LTE upload, wifi hotspot, basically any high powered transmit). At home you likely are not doing that. As an experiment, you can try seeing if the phone still overheats while wireless charging in airplane mode.

It defeats the purpose, but at least you have the root cause that charging+high consumption causes excess heat.

Hopefully the solution isn't that we need to put a small USB fan next to it to blow air over the phone on the wireless charger! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWD24LL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am using CarPlay at the same time. I had a 12 hour trip and the phone did not charge even 1%. Thanks for the tip on trying Airplane mode. I will try that tomorrow. You would think Ford would have worked through such an obvious issue!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I am using CarPlay at the same time. I had a 12 hour trip and the phone did not charge even 1%. Thanks for the tip on trying Airplane mode. I will try that tomorrow. You would think Ford would have worked through such an obvious issue!
Not sure how Ford would have fixed that. Wireless charging generates heat, as does the process of using the phone. Add two things together that generate heat and the phone will up. You'd have the same problem with wireless charging in any other car while using CarPlay (or possibly Android Auto). It's up too device manufacturers to fix it, not vehicle companies.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Yes, I had this problem with my IPhone X on a 4ish hour drive. Problems started about 3 hrs into the drive. The phone didnt shut down but did start to have serious performance issues and start to crash out of car play. After a couple repeated crashes I moved to phone to a wired charge and the problems went away. The phone was so hot at one point that I couldn’t hold it in my hand.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I had this problem with my IPhone X on a 4ish hour drive. Problems started about 3 hrs into the drive. The phone didnt shut down but did start to have serious performance issues and start to crash out of car play. After a couple repeated crashes I moved to phone to a wired charge and the problems went away. The phone was so hot at one point that I couldn’t hold it in my hand.
The performance issues are a failsafe (throttling) to prevent components or skin temps from overheating. The failure to charge is a failsafe on the battery because you cannot safely charge it above certain temperatures. So unfortunately this is correct behavior.

What the software in the phone SHOULD be doing is on the wifi transmits, it should use metrics to see that the distance to the wifi client (the Sync head unit) is extremely close and it should not be using max transmit strength. Some advanced wifi clients will do that but it could be the Sync unit doesn't send the quality metrics. Most phones are very smart about optimizing the transmit strength, which is why I'm guessing it is the Sync unit wifi not being advanced.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Also if you are just listening to audio and not using apps like google maps, the bluetooth spec has closed loop feedback built in, so that the endpoints will automatically transmit at the lowest strength they need. So temporarily switching to regular bluetooth audio should keep your temperatures in check while doing wireless charging.

I know it isn't ideal but for those experiencing the inability to charge it is an alternative.
Sponsored