• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will Max Tow Package on Lightning reduce range when NOT towing?

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
There is no evidence pro power onboard upgrade is required to utilize the V2H. There IS evidence that the V2H solution could get very expensive, and a bigger add for SR vehicles that require an additional activation fee and Charge Station Pro hardware purchase among all the other purchases as ER owner would also have to make. So point is that the pro power onboard upgrade is probably well worth the money to make work as the home back-up over the actually home back-up system Ford is marketing so heavily and then outsourcing and staying silent on details.
Nothing except this from Ford:
Ford F-150 Lightning Will Max Tow Package on Lightning reduce range when NOT towing? 9.6 required for emergency power
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the Max Tow package is essentially only a seperate and duplicate CHILLER/AIR CONDITIONER unit for the battery pack, located under the center console, as you can see in MUNRO's youtube 'chassis' exposed video recently. This extra air conditioning, as well as the front automatic shutter/grills and the radiator, are only in play/use 'when needed', depending on the temperature of the battery.

When towing, you are exposing the battery pack to more torque requirements, and therefore more HEAT buildup, than otherwise when only driving the vehicle by itself. The extra Chiller simply provides a higher level of air/liquid conditioning for the battery pack. I don't think either of these have much to do with Charging, or time to charge. I also don't think it has much of anything to do with 'range', on it's own.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
When towing, you are exposing the battery pack to more torque requirements, and therefore more HEAT buildup, than otherwise when only driving the vehicle by itself. The extra Chiller simply provides a higher level of air/liquid conditioning for the battery pack. I don't think either of these have much to do with Charging, or time to charge. I also don't think it has much of anything to do with 'range', on it's own.
Doesn't the battery throttle charging if it gets too hot? How would having the extra on-demand cooling not help with charging then? It would really be nice to get some confirmation from Ford if the extra cooling helps regardless of the source of the heat (battery or environment).

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Doesn't the battery throttle charging if it gets too hot? How would having the extra on-demand cooling not help with charging then? It would really be nice to get some confirmation from Ford if the extra cooling helps regardless of the source of the heat (battery or environment).
This line of thought has been perpetuated since we all found out that the max tow package added extra cooling. It’s logically sound but I am of the thought that if the max tow package had benefits other than increasing towing capacity, Ford would have made those benefits known.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
the Max Tow package is essentially only a seperate and duplicate CHILLER/AIR CONDITIONER unit for the battery pack, located under the center console, as you can see in MUNRO's youtube 'chassis' exposed video recently. This extra air conditioning, as well as the front automatic shutter/grills and the radiator, are only in play/use 'when needed', depending on the temperature of the battery.

Motor cooling as well I believe?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
You option Max Tow for the same reason Ford advertises 10K lb towing with this truck--because that's what sells trucks regardless of the feature's utility.
Sponsored