• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Max tow package on Lightning - how much can I tow without it?

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Kinda makes you wonder if that's really necessary or if Ford just knows that their customers always pay for the extra towing capacity. It sounds pretty questionable to me, to be honest.
I think that’s spot on. The only time you’ll need this extra cooling is towing across the mountains of Arizona in 120 degree weather. If that’s the plan, absolutely get max tow to protect the battery. If you’re not planning to ever do this (=me), it probably would be a waste of money except for slightly higher resale value. We will have to wait and see til customers/youtubers get trucks with and without max tow to see if there’s actually any physical differences in the suspension.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The only time you’ll need this extra cooling is towing across the mountains of Arizona in 120 degree weather.
This is pure speculation, but the augmented cooling system may make thermal throttling less likely when DCFC in higher ambient temperatures. I'd check the box whether or not you intend to tow with the Lightning for that reason.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
This is pure speculation, but the augmented cooling system may make thermal throttling less likely when DCFC in higher ambient temperatures. I'd check the box whether or not you intend to tow with the Lightning for that reason.
Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Personally, it is such a relatively cheap option that it made my must have list. And I will likely never need it for towing.

Last edited:

hhulseman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Volt
I'm curious about what this additional cooling really entails. Seems like a manufacturing annoyance to require a lot of additional parts.

I think it would be worth it if it does provide additional cooling.

Unfortunately, I think many of us will make assumptions based on previous experience and Ford might take advantage of that. A detailed article of the difference would help here.

I am inclined to check that box. I plan to use the lightning for local towing of utility trailers occasionally. No plans for an Airstream at the moment.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
They older trucks used to have larger springs in back, extra cooling for engine, trans and maybe things like power steering and in some cases larger brake rotors and such. $900 option does seem odd to bundle with larger power option but I'd guess some bean counter and engineer looked at it.

$900 option in my guess is only $100 real updates.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
since the max towing package is simply additional cooling for the battery pack, the reality is that every one of these trucks, no matter 'which' model, is built to tow up to 10,000 lbs - there is no difference in the chassis, axles, suspension, or traction motors.
It's all about battery cooling. The reason the standard range battery shows a lower 'max towing' is simply due to a smaller battery 'stressing' to provide the same constant power for that additional load.
Regardless of battery size, the truck itself is no different - the towing 'max', physically, is exactly the same.

Hirudin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lancer
I could imagine the additional cooling could come into play when you are doing a lot of braking while towing (eg. going down a big hill). I'm just speculating here though, based on very little towing experience and zero EV experience.

(braking = regen = heating)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Personally, I'm going to stick to the manufacturer recommended towing capacity and purchase the configuration that best meets my needs.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
We still don't know if it is "only" a coolant loop. It could be re-programmed everything, larger springs, bigger brakes, different shocks, different tires and such.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The Max Tow adds more cooling for the battery (and likely also for the motors). My personal conjecture is that the higher inverter power from Pro Power is needed to run the added cooling compressor.
The Extended Range battery is going to run inherently cooler because its going to distribute the current from multiple banks of batteries.
The Extended Range Battery also can put out more peak power. So for pulling heavy trailers up hills, the Extended Range battery is going to increase the capabilities of the truck.

What type and weight of trailer are you planning to tow? How far? How steep of roads?

EvEddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Ligthning
Capacity is 7700lb? ca you legally tow 34' TT @ 7300lb dry weight?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Capacity is 7700lb? ca you legally tow 34' TT @ 7300lb dry weight?
7300 dry weight usually doesn't even include all of the options included in the trailer or things like the battery and propane tanks.
Once loaded with gear, water, and everything else, that 7300 is probably going to be very close to 7500 if not over.
Also remember that you need to include any additional people other than the driver, and any objects or gear added into the truck itself when calculating gcwr.

You'll need to do the calculations based on the gcwr and the curb weight of your specific truck because it will vary slightly based on individual build options.

Personally, I'd probably top out at somewhere around 6000-6500 lbs dry weight with a truck capacity of 7700.

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
Munro live on YouTube has interesting videos of a complete teardown of a lightning. The tow package consists of an additional ac compressor and lines to cool the battery. I ordered mine with the tow package based on the fact I live in Florida and need all the AC capacity available.
Sponsored