First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Are you looking for potential longevity or maximum performance?

I have 3.5 ecoboost in my current 2015. No complaints other than Ford saying the throttle body is not part of the drivetrain warranty…

Get max tow for sure since it sounds like you’re encumbered a lot.

3.5 enthusiasts will tell you it’s best.
5.0 enthusiasts will tell you it’s best.

There’s no wrong answer imho. 3.5 will get better mileage unencumbered, but will suck it down when hauling. I am genuinely curious on data for mileage while encumbered for the 3.5 and 5.0, bet it’s splitting hairs.

3.5 will do better in low RPM situations and high altitude situations.
5.0 at higher RPMs will do well and should win the longevity battle with way less moving parts.

Welcome to the forum.
Spot on.
Sponsored

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
If payload is a priority you will need heavy duty payload package.You will want to stay with a xl or xlt with as little extras as possible to get the highest payload.Also get the max tow package.If you decide on 3.5 it will come with 3.55 gears in the rear and a 5.0 I believe gets the 3.73 rear gears.My current truck is a 3.5 and I am averaging 19.4 mpg with a mix of city and highway.I have towed my travel trailer with it yet so I could tell what it will drop to but it sure has some low end torque.My previous truck was a 2020 5.0 with 3.55 and I like the 5.0 also.The 5.0 was right there mpg wise with the 3.5 without any trailer.Towing with the 5.0 was around 12 mpg.Where I go it’s all flat but there are a lot of stoplights and stop signs to contend with.The 5.0 needs to rev to get into the power.If your in a mountainous area I would go with 3.5 the turbos will help out.
Well said man.

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Are you looking for potential longevity or maximum performance?

I have 3.5 ecoboost in my current 2015. No complaints other than Ford saying the throttle body is not part of the drivetrain warranty…

Get max tow for sure since it sounds like you’re encumbered a lot.

3.5 enthusiasts will tell you it’s best.
5.0 enthusiasts will tell you it’s best.

There’s no wrong answer imho. 3.5 will get better mileage unencumbered, but will suck it down when hauling. I am genuinely curious on data for mileage while encumbered for the 3.5 and 5.0, bet it’s splitting hairs.

3.5 will do better in low RPM situations and high altitude situations.
5.0 at higher RPMs will do well and should win the longevity battle with way less moving parts.

Welcome to the forum.
Agreed 💯.

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I live at 6k feet and frequent mountain passes up to 10k feet weekly. Coming from a Toyota reliability is important for me not so much performance..

i don’t like the complexity of the power boost and how you need to idle the truck for power. I have a pretty good solar setup.

a concern I have with the 3.5 is the mpg will drop quite a bit since the camper will cause wind drag and you’ll be in boost all the time.
Hey man, you’re totally right it won’t get much for mileage towing. Obviously depending on trailer weight but, I’ve owned several trucks with both motors. In my experience, mileage is a horse a piece . Again, obviously depends on trailer weight but for me, towing a 5-6K lb camper, your going to get around 8-10 MPG with either motor. But I will tell you this, the 3.5 EB will out tow the 5.0 any day of the week all day long every day. Hopefully that helps a little. Any questions just ask. Just trying to help.

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Have had both the 5.0 V8 and then three of the 3.5 Ecoboosts. The 5.0 was an older one maybe 2012, can't remember. All had the 3.55 axle ratios. Never had any mechanical trouble with any of them, trade at about 60,000 miles. Have always had a camper trailer and car hauling trailer for towing, the camper trailers have been in the 4,000 to 5,000 lb range. Others may disagree but my experience with the 5.0 for towing was not good, it was not a good experience in the 5.3 Chevy V8 (axle ration 3.42) I had before the Fords either. The V8's need to rev higher to create the torque to tow anything and I did not like the V8 engines revving up & down, roaring, transmission shifting up & down all the time. With the Ecoboost the torque is available at much lower RPM's, they pull like a diesel with minimal transmission shifting. As far as gas mileage goes, I can't say there was much difference between any of the half ton pickups I have had lately, 17-18 mpg highway, 9-10 mpg towing. The V8's will tow but it takes more RPM's to do it. It is not just the weight of the trailer that makes towing a trailer more difficult either as the frontal area seems to make a difference too. The 5.0 V8s had been improved since the one I had so maybe they would tow better now, I don't know, I liked the 5.0, just not for towing. The 10 speed transmissions on the newer F150 may make for a better towing experience too. Not wanting to argue, just stating my humble opinion.
I couldn’t have summarized it any better myself man. Couldn’t agree more.100% spot-on with my personal experiences and my opinion as well. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Skifishbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
The camper is a truck bed pop up one so not much towing.

OP
OP

Skifishbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Leaning on the 5.0 with 3.73 gearing as the local dealer has a screw 6.5 bed coming in next week with all the options I want. Still pretty torn , my main concerns are mpg and reliability. I

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Leaning on the 5.0 with 3.73 gearing as the local dealer has a screw 6.5 bed coming in next week with all the options I want. Still pretty torn , my main concerns are mpg and reliability. I
Mpg is a wash. Realiability? Eith will last if you maintain properly.

The 5.0 with 3.73 will be nasty.
Sponsored