First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I’m looking to order the 5.0 V8 with the 3.15 gear ratio with 2WD. For context, I commute 4 days a week at about a little over 100 miles per week. I don’t plan on towing anything, just running errands around town and some light to mild commuting. So is that engine and gear ratio good combo for what I do? Thanks everyone!
So why get a truck?
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
The maverick hybrid would be a better choice here -- those things can get up to 54mpg some how.
T E C H N O L O G Y

They are dimensionally smaller, have an efficient drive train, are significantly lighter and less powerful, and are designed for the kind of use that I would hazard the majority of the people on this forum need.

alishachinai27

First Name
Alisha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda, Mercedes, Audi
Occupation
Marketer
I looked at the 7.3L F-250 but Ford could not apply the college grad discount to SD’s, no reason to give up 800 bucks. So my belated college graduation gift to myself was a 2023 F-150 with the 5.0L. I got in the EcoBoost and said “nope no way” immediately on the test drive, did not fit my personality at all. I’m a young red blooded gym going American…I’m all about displacement just like these pythons. Just thinking about it makes me want to rip my shirt off and beat on my chest. I love my V8 :LOL:. At the end of the day I think the 5.0 was a better choice for me over the Godzilla 7.3. It throws down 400 horsepower and gets 22 MPG on the highway, I would have been lucky to break 16 with the Godzilla.
Congratulations on your college graduation! It's great to hear that you treated yourself to a new vehicle, the 2023 F-150 with the 5.0L engine as perfect gift. It seems like you made a choice that aligns well with your preferences and personality. The V8 engine offers the displacement and power you desire, and the 5.0L engine's 400 horsepower is certainly impressive. Additionally, the fact that it gets 22 MPG on the highway is a significant advantage over the Godzilla 7.3, which would have provided a lower fuel efficiency. Enjoy your new truck and the exhilarating driving experience it offers!

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
ChatGTP? Is that you? Man, it’s become self aware and is now scouring the forums.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I know I was prompted to check the profile myself. 🤔

I wasn't sure exactly what it was that intrigued me to do so, but I think it was because the post was so polite?

People aren't that nice anymore. 🤣
And this is a Ford forum. Folks are always miffed about something.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
The PB has the triple leaf spring in it, but it does have about 90% of the HDPP's spring rating. It's the same spring of the max tow package. The PB's GVWR is under rated by 5% compared to other F150s despite having a stronger frame. It's a beast underneath, only gimped by sticker. My sticker shows 1450 payload, but by ford's own calculations its 1900lbs.
Any idea why Ford does this? Gimp the sticker?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
T E C H N O L O G Y

They are dimensionally smaller, have an efficient drive train, are significantly lighter and less powerful, and are designed for the kind of use that I would hazard the majority of the people on this forum need.
If I weren't in the travel trailer towing business, I'd have a Maverick. It would be all I needed, truck wise. An economical grocery getter, and small odds and ends at the hardware store.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any idea why Ford does this? Gimp the sticker?
I don't pretend to know exactly what HammaMan is going to think about the question, but it's not just Ford that carefully manipulates the outcome of such things to make sure that the truck is slotted right where they want it to be in market.

Much of it is intentional gimping for sure!

Ford can't even come close to hiding their efforts with the 3.5 Ecoboost. They carefully "tune" the various iterations of it in the F150 VS Raptor VS Powerboost VS Lincoln.......

They'll even use different grades of fuel and then note it with an * in the fine print. Gotta protect that "image" of the Raptor or whatever Ford decides has to be on top!

All the while the tuning industry has shown there's a ton of low hanging fruit just sitting in the PCM strategy untapped.

Toyota comes out with the Ecoboost Flattery motor (literally a 3.5 twin turbo) and it is released with just a small amount of additional HP/TQ over the regular F150. I think less than 10HP? Or something like that. It's hilarious if you think about it. They could have settled on 8 Horsepower more than Ford, or 8 horsepower less, or 48 Horsepower more. It's absolutely an intentional slotting.

The same is true with things like Cargo Capacity and Towing Capacity. It can be whatever Ford wants it to be.

You yourself have had an earlier version (Gen12) of the HDPP F150. Just those few years ago Ford's strategy was what it was when you purchased that truck. It was even available as a Lariat!
Ford has obviously altered their strategy regarding that! Today they outright discourage you from going that route, yet they still have frames and axles that match and are even superior to what that truck was.

It's not unreasonable to suspect that the reason Ford DIDN'T use the same 3.5/3.0 Ecoboost - 10r80 - HV battery - traction motor in the Powerboost as they did in the Lincoln is because Ford DID NOT want to have an F150 with those specs in the lineup.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I don't pretend to know exactly what HammaMan is going to think about the question, but it's not just Ford that carefully manipulates the outcome of such things to make sure that the truck is slotted right where they want it to be in market.

Much of it is intentional gimping for sure!

Ford can't even come close to hiding their efforts with the 3.5 Ecoboost. They carefully "tune" the various iterations of it in the F150 VS Raptor VS Powerboost VS Lincoln.......

They'll even use different grades of fuel and then note it with an * in the fine print. Gotta protect that "image" of the Raptor or whatever Ford decides has to be on top!

All the while the tuning industry has shown there's a ton of low hanging fruit just sitting in the PCM strategy untapped.

Toyota comes out with the Ecoboost Flattery motor (literally a 3.5 twin turbo) and it is released with just a small amount of additional HP/TQ over the regular F150. I think less than 10HP? Or something like that. It's hilarious if you think about it. They could have settled on 8 Horsepower more than Ford, or 8 horsepower less, or 48 Horsepower more. It's absolutely an intentional slotting.

The same is true with things like Cargo Capacity and Towing Capacity. It can be whatever Ford wants it to be.

And what this says to me is, if I'm over the "cargo capacity" sticker number by a couple of hundred #'s it's no big deal from a wear and tear stand point.

You yourself have had an earlier version (Gen12) of the HDPP F150. Just those few years ago Ford's strategy was what it was when you purchased that truck. It was even available as a Lariat!
Ford has obviously altered their strategy regarding that! Today they outright discourage you from going that route, yet they still have frames and axles that match and are even superior to what that truck was.

It's not unreasonable to suspect that the reason Ford DIDN'T use the same 3.5/3.0 Ecoboost - 10r80 - HV battery - traction motor in the Powerboost as they did in the Lincoln is because Ford DID NOT want to have an F150 with those specs in the lineup.
Would be great for those of us who want the PB for towing to have more "cargo capacity" available on the yellow sticker.

And probably if they made the HDPP available in higher trim levels, they might lose some F250 sales.

And it says to me, if I'm over the "cargo capacity" sticker number by a couple of hundred pounds, it doesn't matter any from a wear and tear standpoint.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea, that yellow sticker is right where Ford WANTS your Powerboost slotted.

Nobody can convince me that Ford can't provide whatever cargo capacity they desire for the Powerboost. The additional 300#'s of GVW they magically hand it could be 500, or 750, or.......it's completely up to them

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Well, Toyota can boast "Best in Class" horsepower. I would bet Ford, next year, will retune the 3.5L EB by about 15 HP so it will be back to Best in Class".

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I know I was prompted to check the profile myself. 🤔

I wasn't sure exactly what it was that intrigued me to do so, but I think it was because the post was so polite?

People aren't that nice anymore. 🤣
And this is a Ford forum. Folks are always miffed about something.
you displeased it when you said it lost all credibility after it praised the Ford bot. Now it’s here for us, and there is no turning back…this is just the beginning

dogboye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Don't know about the other engines... I have the Powerboost F-150. Its engine makes it a rocketship. It just pulls and pulls... It can get me in trouble with the Wy HiWay Patrol. I had to learn to pay attention to speed while passing...
Whatever you do, don't put it in Sport Mode (unless that is the mode you're already talking about). I was a little shocked at how it changed the nature of the truck when i did. Perhaps I shouldn't have done it on the fly...

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Due to the gimped sticker situation, I will employ the age old payload determination strategy which requires the answer to a simple question.

Are the tires rubbing yet?
Sponsored