JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
(2022 Plat)
When I first got the truck,I would walk close and the running boards would pop out and perimeter lights would come on. The boards still come out but the light no longer turn on.
I've confirmed it's toggled on in the settings but still nada...
Something else I should look at, somewhere?
Sponsored

Random155

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
I had this issue on my 21 and it turned out to be the battery. New or not - some batteries are not holding up and need warranty replacement.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I had this issue on my 21 and it turned out to be the battery. New or not - some batteries are not holding up and need warranty replacement.
Hmmm, might also explain my car alarm randomly going off ystrdy.
I'll check it's output today.
Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes to let everything reset. that may help?
Ok so here is a dumb Q... how many batteries I got? I know I have the obvious and then the Powerboost... but after I disconnected the battery I walked away and the runnin boards retracted... I stood there dumbfounded for a sec and then when I came back out to the truck the came down as I approached.... so Im clearly not disconnecting all I should. Do I need to DC the other battery under the back seat?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Ok so here is a dumb Q... how many batteries I got? I know I have the obvious and then the Powerboost... but after I disconnected the battery I walked away and the runnin boards retracted... I stood there dumbfounded for a sec and then when I came back out to the truck the came down as I approached.... so Im clearly not disconnecting all I should. Do I need to DC the other battery under the back seat?
Yes, 2 batts in parallel. The one under the rear seat only floats briefly on start. Otherwise it's continually connected. On start, the starting battery is isolated from everything else FWIW. Both fuse boxes receive power from the aux batt and DCDC on start. It's a brief opening during starter engagement.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, 2 batts in parallel. The one under the rear seat only floats briefly on start. Otherwise it's continually connected. On start, the starting battery is isolated from everything else FWIW. Both fuse boxes receive power from the aux batt and DCDC on start. It's a brief opening during starter engagement.
Ok Hamma, Im resetting now as we speak. Is this second little battery what my truck runs off of in "Electric" mode? Sorry for my naivete. But that cant be right can it?

Ford F-150 Welcome lighting not working anymore... 20230427_110608

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
It uses both batteries 99.9% of the time. The little batt powers the electrical systems for less than a second when the starter is turning. Since the DCDC is still running, the battery is really nothing but a buffer for transient spikes. It provides a little additional storage capacity to the under-hood batt, but not much. Combined they're somewhere in the 100ah range but only 50ah usable. Since the truck considers 80% full, there's only 40ah of usable capacity, but after only 10ah of that missing the truck goes into low batt mode. Without any appreciable run time the batt is likely at 75% or so and as little as 7ah getting used triggers low power mode.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It uses both batteries 99.9% of the time. The little batt powers the electrical systems for less than a second when the starter is turning. Since the DCDC is still running, the battery is really nothing but a buffer for transient spikes. It provides a little additional storage capacity to the under-hood batt, but not much. Combined they're somewhere in the 100ah range but only 50ah usable. Since the truck considers 80% full, there's only 40ah of usable capacity, but after only 10ah of that missing the truck goes into low batt mode. Without any appreciable run time the batt is likely at 75% or so and as little as 7ah getting used triggers low power mode.
Ok so my ADHD just translated 99.9%, 100ah, 80ah, 40ah, 50ah, 10ah, 75%, 7ah... to... "its 11:23am and time to go get lunch at Arbys...."

Why dont they put in a meaningful battery. The entire floor of Teslas, Mustang EV and Lightnings are are batteries Why not span the width of that tray area for a decent battery????

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes to let everything reset. that may help?
@Random155 @HammaMan

Ok so I "reset" the truck, both batteries disconnected for over an hour. Still no lights and I just noticed that on my ZONE LIGHTING on my FordPass App, it wont even turn on manually. I am getting this error.

Im not saying this is the issue, but everything, the entire truck was flawless before 4.2.1 and 4.2.2.

Can someone run an FDRS and see if Im missing something?

1FTFW1ED9NFB50297

Ford F-150 Welcome lighting not working anymore... Screenshot_20230427_114415_FordPass

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm guessing that your 12V battery(s) are below some threshold of static voltage that triggers the truck's logic to lower the burden on the battery. Defeating lighting is one of the features others report as a symptom of low battery voltage. (12V battery, not Hybrid Battery)

Can you throw a smart charger on that battery(s) overnight?

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm guessing that your 12V battery(s) are below some threshold of static voltage that triggers the truck's logic to lower the burden on the battery. Defeating lighting is one of the features others report as a symptom of low battery voltage. (12V battery, not Hybrid Battery)

Can you throw a smart charger on that battery(s) overnight?
Absolutely. Have a trickle for boat and jetskis. My tester says its fine and just came back from shop ystrdy and they said was fine also....
Ford F-150 Welcome lighting not working anymore... 2023-04-27 11_59_19-Window

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Don't take this wrong, but that dealership notation has proven to be lacking in credibility numerous times on the forum.

It'd be nice to see its static voltage without accessory mode or engine ready.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don't take this wrong, but that dealership notation has proven to be lacking in credibility numerous times on the forum.

It'd be nice to see its static voltage without accessory mode or engine ready.
Ok Ill test again here in a bit.
Sponsored