First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I'm busy mounting my WeBoost and I'm considering two options for mounting the antenna.

Option 1: Mount it inside my fiberglass bed topper. This is pretty easy, but requires me to drill holes in the cab and bed for the wire. I don't know how much FRP attenuates cell-band RF, so the risk is that I drill two holes and get nothing out of it. Before I do this, I'll ask the guys at the HAM radio club about it.

Option 2: mount the mast on the female hole for the AM/FM radio antenna. I believe that I would have to fashion an adapter between the female antenna thread and the male WeBoost mast, but overall could reuse most of the WeBoost mast parts. I would unplug the antenna wire at the receiver so that I don't find out the hard way about resonance/reflected RF from the hood/induced current from the booster antenna (which is just a bulb at the top of a mast) are feeding RF into the antenna line and slowly frying my head unit. I'm worried that the radio may cry about "antenna disconnected", but it may just assume that the disconnected antenna cable is just a super weak analog signal.

Overall, I prefer option 2 because I after testing I would just replace the radio antenna cable with the WeBoost antenna cable, meaning that it straight replaces the factory part and doesn't have a CB antenna hanging off of my vehicle. All thoughts are welcome.
Sponsored

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
That's pretty awesome, but 1) kind of a pain to get to with the bed cover (and maybe clearance issues) and 2) the WeBoost isn't really an antenna in the traditional sense. Rather, it's a self contained unit that just sits at the top of an inert aluminum mast.

I did find that McMaster Carr sells a ton of MF adapters. The antenna is 1/4-20 female, and I'll measure the Weboost mast. If I can just buy an adapter and use that socket, running the cable into the cab SHOULD be really simple. Let me know how your install goes!

Diligenthunter

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
That's pretty awesome, but 1) kind of a pain to get to with the bed cover (and maybe clearance issues) and 2) the WeBoost isn't really an antenna in the traditional sense. Rather, it's a self contained unit that just sits at the top of an inert aluminum mast.

I did find that McMaster Carr sells a ton of MF adapters. The antenna is 1/4-20 female, and I'll measure the Weboost mast. If I can just buy an adapter and use that socket, running the cable into the cab SHOULD be really simple. Let me know how your install goes!
https://www.weboost.com/products/4g-nmo-antenna-314405

Well you would use this antenna.

Generally you want the exterior antenna as far from the interior antenna as possible. On top of your bed cover/topper would be best. Not entirely sure what type you have though.
Sponsored

Last edited: