First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Let me preface with our water that is supplied in our community is very very soft, in fact my water softener only regens once a year and that's because its programed to flush the resin
i use mequirs wash soap since forever and it suds up very very nice to break the dirt off the truck
friday night we received just over an inch and and 2/3rds in 6 hours. so all my 250 gallon rain collection barrels are full, i have 4.
so toady i hooked up my water pump that we use to water the lawn, it has equal flow and pressure to the house water
anyway...this water was even softer than the house water, i had suds galore and spent over 15 minutes just rinsing the truck top t bottom and all the crevices to get rid of the sudsy stuff
truck is shiny and slick looking
so is there any thing bad from using rain water as long as its not full of junk? my roof and gutters are metal so no granules from roof tiles or .. and tanks are clean and clear, i would drink it . but its algae free

i am a corrosion preventive guy and we always taught clear water to rinse, well the rain water in my case is CLEAR and clean

matter of fact as water was drying where i wiped it off with the drying cloths, it did not try to spot on surface teh sun was trying to hit.
Sponsored

Dunthupl

First Name
Hunt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I would set up a single stage filter. 5-10 micro. Don't buy transparent filter housings and adding a quick drain will stop the filter from algae since won't constantly be circulating water. Still have dirt, debris on your roof.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
I would set up a single stage filter. 5-10 micro. Don't buy transparent filter housings and adding a quick drain will stop the filter from algae since won't constantly be circulating water. Still have dirt, debris on your roof.
i have one of them so
its an easy add on thanks

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'd just test the pH to make sure it's not below like 6-6.5. A filter on the suction side of the pump could help keep it running better over time as well, but make sure to check it often to avoid running the pump dry.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their cars.
I'd just test the pH to make sure it's not below like 6-6.5. A filter on the suction side of the pump could help keep it running better over time as well, but make sure to check it often to avoid running the pump dry.
^ This pH suggestion is great. Sounds like your water is pretty clean and you're in the position to add filters and such so seems like a great set-up. Plus, you're saving so much water. Thats a win.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Honestly this is the last thing I would try doing. Rain is generally acidic and at least around here, the rain captures tons of dust and PM10+PM2.5.

I'd use it for plants or whatever else.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
first rain is dumped into large tanks at the gutter drop the 2 inner tanks get overflow at about 3/4 full so its transferring water that is sort of like in a septic, all the solids remain in tank one and the clean stuff moves over to the inner tanks
ph test and filter are in the direction
water is to pricey here to use to wash cars. its almost more than ink :unsure:
4k gallons is 179 ...per month, so washing at home is a planned event
when i was caretaker of my friends house across street, he made sure i could wash the cars as much as i needed as part of the return for services as it were
thats why we have large tans to collect run off for the plants.
Sponsored

Last edited: