WARNING: 2021 F150 hybrid tow brakes

EMon

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 hybrid
Ford F150 Hybrid with Max tow package: We are currently on a 6 week trip towing a new 2021 Grand Design Imagine. Tow brake stopped working intermittently, but could be reset by turning off the vehicle opening/closing doors and restarting (rebooting system). We also had an issue where the emergency brake got stuck on and we couldn't move the vehicle ( not towing) but could be reset the same way.
We took it to a dealer and codes for bad emergency brake switch and trailer brake module came back. Had the trailer brake module and emergency brake switch replaced and the issue was worse. The truck isn't recognizing trailer brakes at all. Took it to another larger dealer, they also replaced the trailer brake module and could not get it to work after reprogramming and contacting Ford directly for additional assistance.

After 9 days in the shop 2 different dealerships, Ford has deemed this issue currently unrepairable. Possibly a communication/programming issue they do not have a fix for currently. Upon more research we came across several threads online of this being an issue.

WARNING to all who tow with the 2021 F 150 hybrid. Trailer brakes go out suddenly without warning.This has left us stranded 1300 miles from home with no solution and a total lack in confidence with the vehicle safety. Now our only solution is hire transport for our trailer back home at the tune of several thousand dollars and file a lemon law complaint.
Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Ford F150 Hybrid with Max tow package: We are currently on a 6 week trip towing a new 2021 Grand Design Imagine. Tow brake stopped working intermittently, but could be reset by turning off the vehicle opening/closing doors and restarting (rebooting system). We also had an issue where the emergency brake got stuck on and we couldn't move the vehicle ( not towing) but could be reset the same way.
We took it to a dealer and codes for bad emergency brake switch and trailer brake module came back. Had the trailer brake module and emergency brake switch replaced and the issue was worse. The truck isn't recognizing trailer brakes at all. Took it to another larger dealer, they also replaced the trailer brake module and could not get it to work after reprogramming and contacting Ford directly for additional assistance.

After 9 days in the shop 2 different dealerships, Ford has deemed this issue currently unrepairable. Possibly a communication/programming issue they do not have a fix for currently. Upon more research we came across several threads online of this being an issue.

WARNING to all who tow with the 2021 F 150 hybrid. Trailer brakes go out suddenly without warning.This has left us stranded 1300 miles from home with no solution and a total lack in confidence with the vehicle safety. Now our only solution is hire transport for our trailer back home at the tune of several thousand dollars and file a lemon law complaint.
That's some crappy luck with the trailer brake. Hopefully you can recoup the cost of all your expenses.
I've had parking issues where it will be turned on when I start the truck. Mine is much easier to turn off. I just press the brake and push the switch in and it goes off.

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Could this be caused by the poorly seated fuses mentioned in another thread. I know the first thing I'm doing when I pick mine up is checking those fuses.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
What are the chances that the trailer is the issue. I had similar issue and it was a shorted trailer brake wire which cause the system to turn off.
Sponsored