Sponsored

Towed for major electrical issues

jmccormick615

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, Platinum Hybrid less semiconductors...
Hey everyone,

First post here. Waited 7 months for my Platinum Powerboost. Totally love the new Gen and upgrading to a Platinum. However, my truck is at the dealership for a 3rd time since I took delivery two weeks ago.....

I'll keep it short but hope you guys can provide some insight.

1st service visit was for my 12" radio/screen display turning off like it did a hard reset and then came back to the ford logo with startup and then back to normal on two different occasions while in the middle of highway driving. No codes, no engine lights or issues otherwise with driving. They couldn't find anything and did some sort of reset. No recurrences since.

2nd service visit. Check engine light, screen said something about not being able to use pro power. Dealership said the code was something with a trailer control module (TCM) and a communication fault with BCMC. They cleared it, scheduled a time to come back and have it looked at. Safe to drive advised and I was on my way.

3rd visit and had to be towed...
Late that night, engine light back on. Dash warning to stop the vehicle. Lane keeping system fault, tire pressure monitoring system fault. Service vehicle soon. Had a bad feeling. Parked it and got a ride home. Came back next morning. Truck dead. Tow called. Tried to jump, dash came on. All the prior messages and engine light were on. Could not start or shift into neutral. Towed to dealer.

They said the battery harness was loose (I think the tow guy did that when he was trying to get me jumped) they connected, charged, and everything started right up and they cleared the codes.

They came back in an hour to check on it again......completely dead again....advised they don't know what is wrong and it remains at the dealership for the weekend until they can contact ford.

Sidenote: found out from the dealer I bought it from that there was a issue with the regular battery prior to it being shipped. Supposedly it was jumped and was good to go after that....

These are the messages fordpass gave me. Is this sounding like the phantom drain issue or am I just a lucky guy with a lemon.... :(

Appreciate your guys input. My fingers are crossed and hoping for the best. I will update as I get info.

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041731_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041629_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041613_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041439_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041528_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041547_FordPass

Ford F-150 Towed for major electrical issues Screenshot_20210801-041701_FordPass
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have no proof of anything I have to say applies to your truck specifically, but I suspect that the decision to build many thousands of trucks and then just park them outside stacked side by side for months, while Ford waited for the chip shipments to arrive, might result in one or more issues that would be related to the untested build procedures. A really unfortunate set of circumstances.

This fella describes it better than I can:

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Honestly, sounds like a bad battery to me. If your truck was one of the ones in storage, could’ve killed the battery to the point where it is no longer holding a stable charge. Tipped off by the fact that you said hooking cables up brought the dash back to life and that it had to be jumped before shipment. Bad battery can cause all sorts of random computer errors as the modules get low voltage and get sort of scrambled. Hope they get it worked out soon. Usually once Ford gets involved it’s a quick resolution.

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
Go read some of my posts. Same issue. There’s a bunch of Ford notices they can review and apply fixes for. Once they did all that all my phantom battery and malfunction issues went away.

OP
OP

jmccormick615

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update: dealer kept it over the weekend. On Monday they said all it was is a loose battery harness. Power cut out when they wiggled it. Supposedly..... so they tightened it up and sent me on my way.

However....

Today I am back to square one. On my way to work, I was braking. It felt clunky like something skipped when downshifting. As soon as that happened, my truck chimed and the display said that the pro power was not working and to either reset or close the message. I hit reset and said wtf out loud. It did this 2 more times when braking and downshifting in my 3 mile commute.

Put a request into Ford Corporate to talk to about this and they are supposed to have the dept it was escalated to call me tomorrow.

Called my local dealer again. They were shocked I was having issues again. Suprise suprise. Obviously not just a loose battery. They told me that "sometimes if it sits for awhile, things have a chance to reset" and that if it happens when I go home from work to come in and talk to them tomorrow.

On my way home, did the same crap. Except the first time, when braking and downshifting, the front wheel skidded and locked up for a second and the transmission felt like something slipped too. No check engine light right away. Further in my short commute, it did it again.....check engine light on now. Saying the same pro power message but also to safely stop the truck and seek service.

Something is not right. This will be my 4th trip into a dealership for electrical things. I'm sitting at 1500 miles on the truck. Had anyone else had anything like this. I'm going crazy feeling like I got stuck with a ?.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jmccormick615

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Go read some of my posts. Same issue. There’s a bunch of Ford notices they can review and apply fixes for. Once they did all that all my phantom battery and malfunction issues went away.
The bulletin you mentioned in your post says for trucks built before 2/21. Mine was built in 4/21. Assuming a different issue although a lot of your issues is similar - not exact to what I'm currently dealing with ?

tail_ler

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I've gotten the same check engine lights on mine. The first time it went to the dealer for 6 weeks and they ended up replacing the transmission. It was good for four days and I got the same check engine lights again. I took it back in and they've had it for the last two weeks. So far they have replaced the shifter assembly. Apparently that generated two new codes they are currently trying to diagnose.
Sponsored