Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please

MedicalPhysicist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Hybrid on Order
I thought I'd take a moment and describe what I ended up with for a tonneau cover and rack ... I'm pretty happy with the result and hope others can benefit from my experience.

Our usage is mainly in towing a teardrop trailer, and the ability to include our tandem bike in our adventures. This past spring we spent more than 3 months and 11,400 miles on the road with our beloved '94 GMC C/K1500 extended cab pickup with a 6'7" bed, camping and riding the tandem at every opportunity. That truck gave us great service over the past 28 years or so. This past summer we replaced the GMC with an XLT Powerboost Supercrew with a 6'7" bed.

I had a Leer topper on the GMC but after looking into current toppers when we bought this truck over the summer we decided to go a different direction. As always there are tradeoffs. In favor of the topper is the idea that our tandem, which is a key usage for us, fit inside the topper out of the weather and somewhat secure with the topper locked. Three major cons to the current generation of toppers were:
- Loss of use of the bed camera and the bed lights that are mounted in the CHMSL housing,
- Cost (boy have these things gone up!)
- Availability and extended lead times - it was looking like it might be upwards of 6 months.
In favor of a tonneau cover and rack arrangement were:
- Improved visibility out the rear window,
- the bed camera and high mounted bed light,
- cost compared to a topper (roughly 1/2 to 2/3s the price)
- relative ease of acquisition and installation.
The major strike against is that the tandem will be exposed to the elements while driving, and somewhat less secure (an "attractive nuisance") when left at e.g. a campground when we go hiking or visiting.

Requirements:
1. Want to carry stuff in the bed, protected from weather, and with reasonable security (lockable).
2. Want to carry a bike on a low rack above the tonneau cover.
3. Prefer that the tonneau cover and tailgate operate independently. This means I'm willing to add yet another key, but for me this isn't a big issue. For some folks it is.

Choosing a tonneau cover:
#1 implied a hard tonneau cover for security reasons, recognizing that no cover is 100% weatherproof. But most of the current offerings have pretty good weather protection.
#2 Meant that roll up or folding covers were out of the question because they are incompatible with a low rack, leaving a retractable cover as the only real choice.
#2 Also implied the need for a T-slot based cover to allow attaching a rack. I know that you can buy T-slot rails for some covers, e.g. Truxedo, but I felt for simplicity and to improve the chances of a good outcome that I should focus on the few manufacturers that offer tonneaus with built-in T-slots. That means Retrax, MountainTop, Pace Edwards, and RHR Slyde.
A strike against the retractable covers, of course, is the space consumed in the bed. My truck has the 6'7" bed, so not as serious a problem as if we had a short bed.
After reading user reviews, I concluded that I did not want a "self-retracting" cover, for two reasons:
1. Greater likelihood of failure, and
2. The hassle of the "dog leash" strap used to close those covers.
The simplicity of a cover that I could simply slide open and slide closed appealed to me.
That left me with the Retrax as the sole remaining choice that fit all my requirements.
I visited a couple of local vendors to check out the small display models and chose the Retrax Pro XR instead of the Retrax One XR because for the difference in price it is a more durable offering. For those watching the budget, the Retrax One XR would also be an excellent choice. After watching a number of installation and product review videos, I was comfortable with my choice. The XR suffix means that it has T-slots integrated into the rails, compared to the MX version, which does not.

Tonneau cover vendor:
In the end, I ordered a Retrax Pro XR from Real Truck. I investigated several vendors and found that all offered the same MSRP (local or mail order), and in general that most offered more-or-less competitive advertised prices. In most/all cases, because of restrictions the manufacturers place on the vendors, you get a better price than advertised by contacting the vendor directly. There are two vendors whoI regret contacting because I cannot seem to get off their email spam list - very annoying. I chose Real Truck because a) the price they offered was quite attractive, and b) reputation for fast delivery and good customer service. The final price was $1715 including shipping. Delivery took about a week, including a few delays on the part of the carrier. Everything arrived in good order in two very large packages, drop shipped from Retrax (I think).
I would order from Real Truck again.

Cover Installation:
No major issues to speak of, although I needed a friend to help me hoist it into the bed, and enlisted my wife to help manage the rails as the thing went in. It fit correctly right out of the chute and did not require any tweaking to make it fit well. Installation was straightforward. The only minor issue I encountered is that the drain tubes in the bottom of the cannister did not "click twice" into place as the instructions said. I intend to have a conversation with Retrax about that. For the time being, I replaced the supplied rubber O-ring with a small cord of butyl tape, similar to what is used to bed marine hardware. But the fitting still doesn't snap into the hole as I expected it would, but for now it is secure.

Rack:
So that's the tonneau cover. Next up was the rack. I focused most of my research on "the big three" - Yakima, Thule, and Rhino. Our requirement was to be able to mount:
- an existing tandem bike rack,
- an existing Yakima Skybox,
- a future Roadshower,
- easily remove the rack when not in use.
It took quite a bit of digging on each vendor's website to figure out what parts are required - all of them require a) four legs, or towers, b) crossbars, and c) some type of fit kit.
Unless you want to mount a rack on the roof of your Mercedes, Subaru, or Toyota, all three vendor websites are miserable to work with ... you are hard pressed to find documentation on which of each of the three components is needed for this application. The info can be found, but it is buried quite deeply. The RHRswag and E-trailer websites both had reasonable explanations of the kit necessary for each. (Personally, I avoid E-trailer at all costs due to a past entirely miserable customer service experience.) By looking closely at the retailers' websites, I discovered that the rack manufacturers supply a packaged kit with everything needed for mounting a rack on T-slots, but you would never ever know that from looking at the manufacturer's websites.

The Choice:
All three require a "foot" that is attached to the T-slot, and into which the leg snaps. Thule was quickly eliminated as a possibility since it requires a tool to remove the rack from the foot. So much for quick and easy removal. Otherwise, all three are very similar in most regards. I chose to go with Rhino Rack because, although I have some Yakima stuff already, I've always been impressed with how spendy it is. The Rhino stuff was about $100 cheaper, and as far as I can tell of similar quality throughout. So Rhino it is.
The components I used were:
- RLT-600 Quick Mount legs
- 71" Vortex cross bars
- RLT600 Fit Kit
- 20mm Leg spacers
Those last were required to create clearance for the "handle" of the Retrax tonneau cover to pass cleanly underneath the crossbars. I discovered this issue via a few online video reviews.

Vendor:
As above, pricing among the several vendors I investigated was extremely close, if not exact. So in the end, I chose to buy from my local Rack Attack store. As it turned out, Rhino sells a kit consisting of the four legs, the fit kit, and four locks, all bundled together. I added the Vortex cross bars, the 20mm spacers, and a "T-slot kit" to be used to attach my tandem rack to the Vortex bars. All up, the price was just shy of $600, not including our existing tandem bike rack or Skybox.

Installation:
Once again, no issues were encountered in assembling the rack, which took about 45 minutes mainly because I took my time to make sure everything was "just so". I am satisfied with the result.

Results:
Everything looks and works very much as advertised. I have not yet mounted the tandem on the rack, but expect no issues doing so since the tandem rack we are using is a known quantity.
If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll snap a few pics. You wouldn't have thought it would take as much research and thought as it did, but as anyone who has explored the topper/tonneau cover/rack marketplace, there are a myriad of choices. As in most things, the key is in having a crisp understanding of your particular requirements and priorities.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

How long is your Skybox? I have a Thule motion XT XXL. It's 91.5" long and my '23 has the 67" bed. So my dilemma is, if i get the RetraxPro XR and get low profile crossbars like yours, then the Thule will hang past the truck bed 24-26". Will that look weird or be dangerous? But spending $600 versus $1500 for the yakima overhaul HD, is making me rethink all of this. I'm at a loss lol.
Sponsored

STMF420

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT 5.0 V8 4WD
How long is your Skybox? I have a Thule motion XT XXL. It's 91.5" long and my '23 has the 67" bed. So my dilemma is, if i get the RetraxPro XR and get low profile crossbars like yours, then the Thule will hang past the truck bed 24-26". Will that look weird or be dangerous? But spending $600 versus $1500 for the yakima overhaul HD, is making me rethink all of this. I'm at a loss lol.
Thanks for the heads up. I am in a state of paralysis by analysis myself. And after all this consideration I didn't consider that my Motion XT XXL would be longer than my bed, geez. If it's not one thing it's another. At least I have the 6.5' bed but I'll still hang over by more than a foot @14".
I love my Thule but it can be very cumbersome. Carries a lot of gear though.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Another recommendation for realtruck. When I bought my mx4 I got it around fathers day (they had a sale). Because of the extreme heat, I found some of the rubber edging lifting due to what looked like just not enough glue in a couple spots.

I contacted them asking for some glue to repair it, and they sent me a whole new cover. Not just the cover, the entire set, rails and everything. Couldn't have been happier with the service.

MedicalPhysicist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Hybrid on Order
Thanks for the heads up. I am in a state of paralysis by analysis myself. And after all this consideration I didn't consider that my Motion XT XXL would be longer than my bed, geez. If it's not one thing it's another. At least I have the 6.5' bed but I'll still hang over by more than a foot @14".
Well 12-14" isn't too outlandish, I think you can get away with that.

OP
OP

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
The Yakima Skybox is ~80" more or less (I just measured it), and the 6'7" bed is 79", so I don't have the overhang problem you do. Would it look weird? That's hard to say, but it could become pretty annoying if it interferes with putting stuff in the bed of the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Boy, I know exactly what you mean about analysis paralysis. I started out thinking I was going to get a topper, just like I had on my old truck. Now here we are, several months later and I've gone a completely different direction. On top of that, there are so many choices and tradeoffs to be made. The solution for me, unsurprisingly, turned out to be to sit down and think carefully about my priorities.
The other thing I concluded is that there really is no perfect solution ... just reasonably good tradeoffs.
Best of luck.

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
I thought I'd take a moment and describe what I ended up with for a tonneau cover and rack ... I'm pretty happy with the result and hope others can benefit from my experience.

Our usage is mainly in towing a teardrop trailer, and the ability to include our tandem bike in our adventures. This past spring we spent more than 3 months and 11,400 miles on the road with our beloved '94 GMC C/K1500 extended cab pickup with a 6'7" bed, camping and riding the tandem at every opportunity. That truck gave us great service over the past 28 years or so. This past summer we replaced the GMC with an XLT Powerboost Supercrew with a 6'7" bed.

I had a Leer topper on the GMC but after looking into current toppers when we bought this truck over the summer we decided to go a different direction. As always there are tradeoffs. In favor of the topper is the idea that our tandem, which is a key usage for us, fit inside the topper out of the weather and somewhat secure with the topper locked. Three major cons to the current generation of toppers were:
- Loss of use of the bed camera and the bed lights that are mounted in the CHMSL housing,
- Cost (boy have these things gone up!)
- Availability and extended lead times - it was looking like it might be upwards of 6 months.
In favor of a tonneau cover and rack arrangement were:
- Improved visibility out the rear window,
- the bed camera and high mounted bed light,
- cost compared to a topper (roughly 1/2 to 2/3s the price)
- relative ease of acquisition and installation.
The major strike against is that the tandem will be exposed to the elements while driving, and somewhat less secure (an "attractive nuisance") when left at e.g. a campground when we go hiking or visiting.

Requirements:
1. Want to carry stuff in the bed, protected from weather, and with reasonable security (lockable).
2. Want to carry a bike on a low rack above the tonneau cover.
3. Prefer that the tonneau cover and tailgate operate independently. This means I'm willing to add yet another key, but for me this isn't a big issue. For some folks it is.

Choosing a tonneau cover:
#1 implied a hard tonneau cover for security reasons, recognizing that no cover is 100% weatherproof. But most of the current offerings have pretty good weather protection.
#2 Meant that roll up or folding covers were out of the question because they are incompatible with a low rack, leaving a retractable cover as the only real choice.
#2 Also implied the need for a T-slot based cover to allow attaching a rack. I know that you can buy T-slot rails for some covers, e.g. Truxedo, but I felt for simplicity and to improve the chances of a good outcome that I should focus on the few manufacturers that offer tonneaus with built-in T-slots. That means Retrax, MountainTop, Pace Edwards, and RHR Slyde.
A strike against the retractable covers, of course, is the space consumed in the bed. My truck has the 6'7" bed, so not as serious a problem as if we had a short bed.
After reading user reviews, I concluded that I did not want a "self-retracting" cover, for two reasons:
1. Greater likelihood of failure, and
2. The hassle of the "dog leash" strap used to close those covers.
The simplicity of a cover that I could simply slide open and slide closed appealed to me.
That left me with the Retrax as the sole remaining choice that fit all my requirements.
I visited a couple of local vendors to check out the small display models and chose the Retrax Pro XR instead of the Retrax One XR because for the difference in price it is a more durable offering. For those watching the budget, the Retrax One XR would also be an excellent choice. After watching a number of installation and product review videos, I was comfortable with my choice. The XR suffix means that it has T-slots integrated into the rails, compared to the MX version, which does not.

Tonneau cover vendor:
In the end, I ordered a Retrax Pro XR from Real Truck. I investigated several vendors and found that all offered the same MSRP (local or mail order), and in general that most offered more-or-less competitive advertised prices. In most/all cases, because of restrictions the manufacturers place on the vendors, you get a better price than advertised by contacting the vendor directly. There are two vendors whoI regret contacting because I cannot seem to get off their email spam list - very annoying. I chose Real Truck because a) the price they offered was quite attractive, and b) reputation for fast delivery and good customer service. The final price was $1715 including shipping. Delivery took about a week, including a few delays on the part of the carrier. Everything arrived in good order in two very large packages, drop shipped from Retrax (I think).
I would order from Real Truck again.

Cover Installation:
No major issues to speak of, although I needed a friend to help me hoist it into the bed, and enlisted my wife to help manage the rails as the thing went in. It fit correctly right out of the chute and did not require any tweaking to make it fit well. Installation was straightforward. The only minor issue I encountered is that the drain tubes in the bottom of the cannister did not "click twice" into place as the instructions said. I intend to have a conversation with Retrax about that. For the time being, I replaced the supplied rubber O-ring with a small cord of butyl tape, similar to what is used to bed marine hardware. But the fitting still doesn't snap into the hole as I expected it would, but for now it is secure.

Rack:
So that's the tonneau cover. Next up was the rack. I focused most of my research on "the big three" - Yakima, Thule, and Rhino. Our requirement was to be able to mount:
- an existing tandem bike rack,
- an existing Yakima Skybox,
- a future Roadshower,
- easily remove the rack when not in use.
It took quite a bit of digging on each vendor's website to figure out what parts are required - all of them require a) four legs, or towers, b) crossbars, and c) some type of fit kit.
Unless you want to mount a rack on the roof of your Mercedes, Subaru, or Toyota, all three vendor websites are miserable to work with ... you are hard pressed to find documentation on which of each of the three components is needed for this application. The info can be found, but it is buried quite deeply. The RHRswag and E-trailer websites both had reasonable explanations of the kit necessary for each. (Personally, I avoid E-trailer at all costs due to a past entirely miserable customer service experience.) By looking closely at the retailers' websites, I discovered that the rack manufacturers supply a packaged kit with everything needed for mounting a rack on T-slots, but you would never ever know that from looking at the manufacturer's websites.

The Choice:
All three require a "foot" that is attached to the T-slot, and into which the leg snaps. Thule was quickly eliminated as a possibility since it requires a tool to remove the rack from the foot. So much for quick and easy removal. Otherwise, all three are very similar in most regards. I chose to go with Rhino Rack because, although I have some Yakima stuff already, I've always been impressed with how spendy it is. The Rhino stuff was about $100 cheaper, and as far as I can tell of similar quality throughout. So Rhino it is.
The components I used were:
- RLT-600 Quick Mount legs
- 71" Vortex cross bars
- RLT600 Fit Kit
- 20mm Leg spacers
Those last were required to create clearance for the "handle" of the Retrax tonneau cover to pass cleanly underneath the crossbars. I discovered this issue via a few online video reviews.

Vendor:
As above, pricing among the several vendors I investigated was extremely close, if not exact. So in the end, I chose to buy from my local Rack Attack store. As it turned out, Rhino sells a kit consisting of the four legs, the fit kit, and four locks, all bundled together. I added the Vortex cross bars, the 20mm spacers, and a "T-slot kit" to be used to attach my tandem rack to the Vortex bars. All up, the price was just shy of $600, not including our existing tandem bike rack or Skybox.

Installation:
Once again, no issues were encountered in assembling the rack, which took about 45 minutes mainly because I took my time to make sure everything was "just so". I am satisfied with the result.

Results:
Everything looks and works very much as advertised. I have not yet mounted the tandem on the rack, but expect no issues doing so since the tandem rack we are using is a known quantity.
If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll snap a few pics. You wouldn't have thought it would take as much research and thought as it did, but as anyone who has explored the topper/tonneau cover/rack marketplace, there are a myriad of choices. As in most things, the key is in having a crisp understanding of your particular requirements and priorities.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for the detailed info! I too have the Skybox, and was wondering if it would clamp onto the Rhino rack bars? I also have Thule ski rack. It clamps on my Thule Aero crossbars which look very similar to the rhino rack bars. Any idea regarding cross compatibility?

Last edited:
OP
OP

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Thanks for the detailed info! I too have the Skybox, and was wondering if it would clamp onto the Rhino rack bars? I also have Thule ski rack. It clamps on my Thule Aero crossbars which look very similar to the rhino rack bars. Any idea regarding cross compatibility?
The Skybox *should* fit, but I haven't actually mounted mine on the Rhino Rack yet. please let us know if you try it and I'll do the same.
I'm less clear about the ski rack. If as you say ors has clamps that fit around an aero-style bar, it seems like it should work.
Mout of my older Yakima stuff (ski rack, single bike racks) was designed to clamp onto old style round Yakima bars. if I ever plan to use those again (doubtful) I'll have to gin up a way of adapting them to a T-slot system. I think Yakima makes a thing called a Mite mount which might work.
Anybody done this yet?
My main interest was in attaching a tandem rack (Tandem Topper) which I was able to adapt to T-slots WIthout too much difficulty.

Angrybeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
CyberSecurity
I personally just needed something to keep items dry in the back of the truck. I wanted something light so that it didn't impact my Cargo capacity much.

I ended up going with a cheap ($200ish) Gator Etx off amazon. The first one was damaged the first day in shipping and was returned to sender, but they got me a replacement out ASAP. Overall, it isn't as nice as a hard cover, but install was easy and it seems sturdy enough for the needs I have.

It did leak a tiny bit when tested in a car wash, but some 3/4inch foam gasketing on the bed rail closest to the glass has got that down to a few drips when under high pressure water from a car wash and pretty much nothing when it rains. For 215-220 total can't really beat it for the price.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Pulled the trigger on the Peragon Limited HDX with the matte finish. This one’s a relatively new update - and allows access from the rear, where the older design required pushing down a front panel panel near the cab to open. Should arrive tomorrow- hope to get it installed this weekend. I’ll report back and take some pics as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I personally just needed something to keep items dry in the back of the truck. I wanted something light so that it didn't impact my Cargo capacity much.

I ended up going with a cheap ($200ish) Gator Etx off amazon. The first one was damaged the first day in shipping and was returned to sender, but they got me a replacement out ASAP. Overall, it isn't as nice as a hard cover, but install was easy and it seems sturdy enough for the needs I have.

It did leak a tiny bit when tested in a car wash, but some 3/4inch foam gasketing on the bed rail closest to the glass has got that down to a few drips when under high pressure water from a car wash and pretty much nothing when it rains. For 215-220 total can't really beat it for the price.
A perfect example of understanding your needs and buying accordingly. Bravo!

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Pulled the trigger on the Peragon Limited HDX with the matte finish. This one’s a relatively new update - and allows access from the rear, where the older design required pushing down a front panel panel near the cab to open. Should arrive tomorrow- hope to get it installed this weekend. I’ll report back and take some pics as well.

Installed today. Took a little longer than I wanted- mostly because it was getting dark. Fit is very good, and the seals and gaskets are all pretty flush. This new edition allows you to access the cover from the rear using two locking knobs that you push in (to unlock)- and then pull back in (to lock) before closing the tailgate- which will both auto close and open with cover completely closed. (Pics below):

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3677

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3676

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3675

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3678

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3680

Ford F-150 Tonneau cover vendor recommendations please IMG_3681

MedicalPhysicist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Hybrid on Order
The Yakima Skybox is ~80" more or less (I just measured it), and the 6'7" bed is 79", so I don't have the overhang problem you do. Would it look weird? That's hard to say, but it could become pretty annoying if it interferes with putting stuff in the bed of the truck.
I ended up buying the Retrax XR Pro from Rack Attack, they matched RealTruck pricing for me. Now I am going to get the Yakima Overhaul HD rack but now have to decide on crossbar Length. Googling the bed width gives me a width of 51 inches. Is that accurate? If so then the medium length (60 inches) should be fine. Don't want too much overhang, maybe even the small length works at 55 inches. Anyone purchase these?

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Another vote for Real Truck (used to be Tonneaucovers.com).

Our needs / wants are different, so our choices are too.

I wanted quality but light and maximum bed space when open.

My 01 came with a Ford Tonneau and it was fine but eventually wore out. Replaced it with the Access Original. Couldn't be happier. Much better than the original Ford. This is what I'll be putting on the new truck when it arrives, hopefully in a few weeks.

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
Picking up my power boost F150 tonight and will be installing the retract pro XR cover. Does anyone know if I will have to drill holes for the drainage tubes, or are there existing holes in the front of the bed? If I need to add drainage holes, is there a specific location they should be drilled? My truck is coming with the Ford spray in bedliner. Appreciate any advice!
Sponsored