First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
my tex tag i was forced to get to allow me free state toll road use is stuck up just below the rear view mirror

i was unaware they just read the license plate. its coming off now all my vehicles

i did flucked in big d last week for 7 bucks on a toll express thing that changes toll cost based on traffic??????? wtf
😆 I see you found the "TEXpress" toll road. Yup, the cost is variable so that everyone doesn't flood it to keep the traffic going. It's designed to get people from one side to the other with only a couple entrances and exists. If you travel much to DFW airport, it's your best friend. It's kept me from missing a few flights when 635 becomes a parking lot. If you want to open up the throttle, it's the place to go in Dallas....so a friend told me. 😉🤭
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I haven't had the tag physically on a car in 6 years. They bill me perfectly. I did get a letter once that the rules say the tag needs to be on the car and they hadn't detected mine so wondering if it was lost and gave me a warning. I threw that letter where it belonged and am still trucking along 2 years later. So they might try to act like the almighty once in a while, but ignoring them seems to work.

Those express lanes do get pricey. They have another stupid beacon you can get an put in the car and then if more than one phone connect to it via bluetooth to show more than one person is in the car, then you get a cheaper price, but otherwise you better bring your vaseline along - they get pricey.
being a 100% disabled veteran the state gives us free toll on STATE owned toll roads, of which there are not very many, and free airport parking for 6 months, used to be as long as you wanted
but they changed the rules last year when NTTA took over so they dictate though shalt have a freeking tag with 20 dollars balance...

only thing that makes me feel good is we use the toll that goes around austin, 160 i believe and the bus weighs 32k lbs so not toll is charged :love: :love: then we pop out near buda and get back in the 35 monster of never ending road work

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
😆 I see you found the "TEXpress" toll road. Yup, the cost is variable so that everyone doesn't flood it to keep the traffic going. It's designed to get people from one side to the other with only a couple entrances and exists. If you travel much to DFW airport, it's your best friend. It's kept me from missing a few flights when 635 becomes a parking lot. If you want to open up the throttle, it's the place to go in Dallas....so a friend told me. 😉🤭
hmmm we were doing 80 almost the whole way,

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
being a 100% disabled veteran the state gives us free toll on STATE owned toll roads, of which there are not very many, and free airport parking for 6 months, used to be as long as you wanted
but they changed the rules last year when NTTA took over so they dictate though shalt have a freeking tag with 20 dollars balance...

only thing that makes me feel good is we use the toll that goes around austin, 160 i believe and the bus weighs 32k lbs so not toll is charged :love: :love: then we pop out near buda and get back in the 35 monster of never ending road work
My son lives in San Antonio. 160 is great.
We have not taken I-35 through Austin yet.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
My son lives in San Antonio. 160 is great.
We have not taken I-35 through Austin yet.
you do not want to...its a freaking mess crazy drivers 🤗

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
... only thing that makes me feel good is we use the toll that goes around austin, 160 i believe ....
That would be Toll 130, perhaps with a bit of Toll 45 at the southern end if you cut over to Buda rather than take it to Seguin / I-10, thence into San Antonio from the East. 130 and 45 are both state / TXDOT roads so you receive your disabled vet benefit (y).

Well worth it 24/7/365 even at the TX Tag price for avoiding the almost constant absolute maximum zoo that is I-35 through Austin. IMO paying to Seguin is worth it on holidays / weekends to avoid the only slightly smaller zoo on I-35 through San Marcos and New Braunfels on those peak days / times.

One caution - be attentive to the possibility of crossing feral hogs, especially south of the Austin / ABIA airport exit. They're plentiful, very fast, very heavy, dark-colored so difficult to spot, and at tollway speed can wreck very serious havoc and injury even on big vehicles. A year-round hazard at least as dangerous if not more so than the deer which they outnumber significantly. Especially treacherous from dusk through the night when they are particularly active.

Last edited:
OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
That would be Toll 130, perhaps with a bit of Toll 45 at the southern end if you cut over to Buda rather than take it to Seguin / I-10, thence into San Antonio from the East. 130 and 45 are both state / TXDOT roads so you receive your disabled vet benefit (y).

Well worth it 24/7/365 even at the TX Tag price for avoiding the almost constant absolute maximum zoo that is I-35 through Austin. IMO paying to Seguin is worth it on holidays / weekends to avoid the only slightly smaller zoo on I-35 through San Marcos and New Braunfels on those peak days / times.

One caution - be attentive to the possibility of crossing feral hogs, especially south of the Austin / ABIA airport exit. They're plentiful, very fast, very heavy, dark-colored so difficult to spot, and at tollway speed can wreck very serious havoc and injury even on big vehicles. A year-round hazard at least as dangerous if not more so than the deer which they outnumber significantly. Especially treacherous from dusk through the night when they are particularly active.
Thanks for the hog heads up! First time for that one. We are always on the watch for deer.
I hate I-35.
We get on at Waco- construction terrible.
You are right, south of Buda is no piece of cake.
Aiming for northwest SA, I have only gone down to I-10 once. We come in on Friday evening, I tend to blame timing also.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know how it works in your State, but where I live... if you pass through a Toll and they don’t detect a Toll Pass, they take a picture of your license plate and charge your Toll account.

If you don’t have a Toll account… they send you a bill in the mail. (If you don’t pay the bill, they tack the toll AND THE FINES onto your next year’s registration)

BUT… as with MOST “Government Agencies” the Maintenance crews aren’t real proactive about maintaining the Toll Camera system so it OFTEN never even records your license plate.

So I keep “my” Toll pass at home and on average, pay toll 3 out of 5 days a week.

Why make it easy for them?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
BUT… as with MOST “Government Agencies” the Maintenance crews aren’t real proactive about maintaining the Toll Camera system so it OFTEN never even records your license plate.

So I keep “my” Toll pass at home and on average, pay toll 3 out of 5 days a week.

Why make it easy for them?
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. - C. S. Lewis

'nuff said

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. - C. S. Lewis

'nuff said
I take great comfort in knowing that sheeple like you are paying 2 out of my 5 tolls. (At $8.80 a pop!)

I’d thank you but you are obviously so impressed with yourself (and C. S. Lewis apparently) that my gratitude isn’t necessary.

...and you can quote "ME" on that!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
No toll tags for me.
Even when renting I will decline.
I just go on thru, and they will either bill rental co., or send me a bill.
My spouse drives to Florida frequently, and she was concerned about the toll tag thing.
I told her, blow thru them and they will send a bill.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
No toll tags for me.
Even when renting I will decline.
I just go on thru, and they will either bill rental co., or send me a bill.
My spouse drives to Florida frequently, and she was concerned about the toll tag thing.
I told her, blow thru them and they will send a bill.
my trip to south florida this past dec.. i had NO toll pass tag recognized by florida
they sent me about 6 bills totaling a bit over 27 buckaroos and one SUMMONS thing telling me i didnt pay tolls and would be prohibited from using toll road o_O:unsure: even though i already paid ??
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GDN