Sponsored

Tips on "moving" bumper to stop wheel rub?

phyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost
Hey all! I put some 20x9 +1 rims, with 275/60/r20 tires on my '21 XLT PB and I have ever so slight rub on my front bumper. I believe it's where the black lower valance is. This only happens at full turns, mostly when the truck is on an incline left or right.

I can see that my bumper appears shifted more to the driver's side than passenger overall... Is there much play in the bumper mount that I could correct this? What about "pushing" the bumper forward on both sides?
Sponsored

OP
OP

phyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost
I just googled spacers and holy crap, $150 for a 3/4" spacer...I'll have to play with the bumper left to right and see what I get. May just trim off the plastic trim a hair. Or embrace Rub City.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
I just googled spacers and holy crap, $150 for a 3/4" spacer...I'll have to play with the bumper left to right and see what I get. May just trim off the plastic trim a hair. Or embrace Rub City.
my local shop is charging me $250 to have 1/2 inch spacers installed. somewhat of a hard pill to swallow but i’ll feel extremely easy in the long run.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If you have not done so already installing a 2.5" front level on it and you should be fine. Kits from MotoFab run about 60 and can be installed in about an hour if you know what you're doing. Or a suspension shop can do it for $250-300 with alignment.

This is how the PB sits with that kit installed and it'll have a very slight rake to the front.

Ford F-150 Tips on "moving" bumper to stop wheel rub? Pre level1

Last edited:
OP
OP

phyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost
I have a Rough Country puck lift still in the box, I ordered in case these wheels wouldn't fit at ALL...I wanted to keep the stock height and if anything lower the rear (I have towing package...just remove block)

Was trying to keep MPG's up on this PB but my tires have already determined that's not happening LOL

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I have a Rough Country puck lift still in the box, I ordered in case these wheels wouldn't fit at ALL...I wanted to keep the stock height and if anything lower the rear (I have towing package...just remove block)

Was trying to keep MPG's up on this PB but my tires have already determined that's not happening LOL

I think I lost at best .5-1 mpg when I installed the 2.5" kit, but gained it back with the tonneau cover.

Ford F-150 Tips on "moving" bumper to stop wheel rub? charlie-sheen-im-winnin

Mine also has the Max Tow on it as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

phyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost
How are you even rubbing with what seems like stock size ?
V3ry good question. Idk. The offset sticks it out just enough to kiss. Maybe the bumper is bent in a bit

Sponsored

OP
OP

phyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost
I think I lost at best .5-1 mpg when I installed the 2.5" kit, but gained it back with the tonneau cover.

charlie-sheen-im-winning.gif

Mine also has the Max Tow on it as well.
I have a tonneau as well. Maybe it's the freezing cold but I haven't gotten good mpg since the tires. Maybe it's coincidence.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
MPG goes in the toilet on winter blend. To add to that the lithium battery efficiency also tanks in cold weather.

V3ry good question. Idk. The offset sticks it out just enough to kiss. Maybe the bumper is bent in a bit
This should fixt it.

Ford F-150 Tips on "moving" bumper to stop wheel rub? Giant-Hammer-48

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would trim the plastic air dam if that’s all that’s rubbing. That is very easy to do, then you’re saving $300+. Just my .02!