Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Maximum posted payload of 1998 lb. in my configuration and these Sods weighed out at 1990 lb.

For drivability the 5.0 w/3.73 performed surprisingly well. Felt nice and firm around corners. My only complaint is how much front to rear bounce back I would have if I hit the brakes too hard at a stop.

Ford F-150 Tested what max payload looks like - 2021 F-150 5.0 w/ 3.73 B4CCF357-E161-468E-A229-B65281953BFA
Ford F-150 Tested what max payload looks like - 2021 F-150 5.0 w/ 3.73 78B223F2-7969-4B97-BC02-91A234083AD6
Sponsored

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Technically you exceeded your payload limit because you still needed to put yourself in the drivers seat to drive the truck :) I'm assuming you weigh more than 8 pounds.

OP
OP
tony72cutlass's'

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
technically you exceeded your payload limit because you still needed to put yourself in the drivers seat to drive the truck :) I'm assuming you weigh more than 8 pounds.
I had myself and my newborn (who actually weights 9 pounds!!) Nothing like a trip to the sod cutter when you're 15 days old.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Just curious if you have the OnBoard scales?

I'm wondering what happens when you exceed payload. Does a warning just pop up on the dash and you just hit 'OK' on the steering wheel to clear the message and continue on? Or, will the message stay displayed until you removed some weight from the bed?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Technically you exceeded your payload limit because you still needed to put yourself in the drivers seat to drive the truck :) I'm assuming you weigh more than 8 pounds.
I thought payload accounted for a full tank of gas and a 150lb passenger. I could be wrong though. My memory isn't what it used to be.

edit: ford does not account for any passengers in their payload. You must count yourself and any other passengers.

Last edited:

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
I thought payload accounted for a full tank of gas and a 150lb passenger. I could be wrong though. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Good question... I would love to know the answer to it.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The sticker payload value does account for a full tank of gas in whatever size OE tank for the specific vehicle (as well as all other fluids required for normal operation) but it does not account for any occupant load.

All per the federal labeling rules relating to that payload sticker; at one time I found those rules in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) but the citation now eludes me, sorry.

Last edited:

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
The sticker payload value does account for a full tank of gas in whatever size OE tank for the specific vehicle (as well as all other fluids required for normal operation) but it does not account for any occupant load.

All per the federal labeling rules relating to that payload sticker; at one time I found those rules in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) but the citation now eludes me, sorry.
Yup, Apparently that was misinformation I was remembering :) I'm going to update my post above to clarify that.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
edit: ford does not account for any passengers in their payload. You must count yourself and any other passengers.
Just FYI the rules for what's included on that federally-mandated doorframe 'payload' sticker are uniform for all manufacturers.

Ford and others may refer to a different basis, sometimes including a 'driver weight allowance', in other non-mandated literature. That can lead to understandable confusion.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Maximum posted payload of 1998 lb. in my configuration and these Sods weighed out at 1990 lb.

For drivability the 5.0 w/3.73 performed surprisingly well. Felt nice and firm around corners. My only complaint is how much front to rear bounce back I would have if I hit the brakes too hard at a stop.

B4CCF357-E161-468E-A229-B65281953BFA.jpeg
78B223F2-7969-4B97-BC02-91A234083AD6.jpeg
Would have thought the load of sod to be closer to 2500-3K. When I was looking to get a pallet the place I went to said I'd need a trailer since it was close to 3K pounds for 500 sqft. How many sqft is that that it came out to 1990 pounds?

OP
OP
tony72cutlass's'

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I'm wondering what happens when you exceed payload. Does a warning just pop up on the dash and you just hit 'OK' on the steering wheel to clear the message and continue on? Or, will the message stay displayed until you removed some weight from the bed?
I do not! I only realized I was at the payload when the guy at the place told me what the pallet weighed!

Reactions: 780

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

Onboard scales doesn't show in the instrument cluster. It is in the menu in the 12" center screen. The only pop up is when you first start the app and says it isn't accurate or designed to be an official weight or something. Then as you add weight, the meter goes from green to red when you're over. That's it. If you exit out or don't launch the app, you'll never know if you're overweight.

fwiw - I wouldn't order onboard scales again if I had the option in the future. It is very gimmicky to me.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Onboard scales doesn't show in the instrument cluster. It is in the menu in the 12" center screen. The only pop up is when you first start the app and says it isn't accurate or designed to be an official weight or something. Then as you add weight, the meter goes from green to red when you're over. That's it. If you exit out or don't launch the app, you'll never know if you're overweight.

fwiw - I wouldn't order onboard scales again if I had the option in the future. It is very gimmicky to me.
Yep, I know. I have the scales in my truck and use it whenever I tow.

Def agree it could be more user friendly and intuitive. Hoping that could be part of an OTA?

I've never been over payload though. So curious what happens if you over load. Just figured if there was an 'error message' that popped up when over loaded it could pop up on the dash like other warning messages.
Sponsored