Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
what is the ohm resistance of the tweeters? are they 4 or 8 ? Thanks
the door speakers are 4 ohm and the tweeters and center are 8 ohm.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
There are 6 components to good audio. You CAN go way beyond them in price and performance, but in a vehicle you're not gonna notice. In no particular order:
1) Good speakers; all you need is reinforced plastic cones and wattage matched to your source
2) Decent Source; we are practically limited here to the stock receiver outputs, but in general they are good enough to not be a limiting factor. This was an issue with analog broadcast radio and tapes, but with digital everything it's essentially taken care of without intervention.
3) Enough Power; you need enough power to drive your speakers, and the stock amp's 14w RMS won't cut it. 5 channel digital amps are cheap, and I love my Rockford 5x750W. It can't annoy the neighbors and send old folks and small children fleeing, but I'm at an age where I want quality over hearing impairment.
4) Split Channel Speakers; you need tweeters and subs. A 2 way or component setup is fine for the woofers and tweeters. The core idea here is match the speaker with what its designed to do well: a 1" tweeter CAN produce at 50 Hz sound, but it won't do it well. This leads to....
5) Filters; You are likely to be power limited. Lower frequencies require more power. Therefore, to make the best use of your separate speakers AND limited power, you need to 1) have high and low pass filters so that the sub gets low frequency, the woofers and tweeters get mids and highs (the tweeters and woofers generally handle that themselves). Further, go on youtube and listen to 10-100 Hz pure sounds. You may be surprised at what you cannot hear. Take that information and set the high pass filter on your subwoofer channel so that you are not using limited wattage on sounds that YOUR ears do not detect. It's easier to test yourself than to look up and the cost is only time, so there's no reason not to do this; it is the cheapest way to "increase" the power of your amp's sub channel. Bear in mind that a decent amp will have this option built in, so it's not a separate piece (though it can be if you want to splash out more $). When I first tried to do this on the cheap, my thought was to use Crutchfield bass blockers on the factory head unit outputs to the woofers. For whatever reason, they were effective from 1Hz-20kHz, so that's not really an option.
6 Soundproofing; probably the most difficult, potentially the most expensive, and maybe the best upgrade. Costs money, time AND weight. All car audio systems have a white noise soundtrack played over them called "Road noise". A $10k system that sets off car alarms and constitutes "probable cause" on its own maybe doesn't care, but if you're listening to music at sane volumes while the vehicle is moving, road noise is a big deal. There is no such thing as too much Dynamat.

STX_guy2023

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 STX 2.7 Eco
Occupation
N/A
Ok so I installed those 6x9s JBL club in the front doors and 6.5 in the rear using the 2020 model adapters and connectors from Crutchfield, and they fit flawlessly. talk about sound upgrade, these babys sound loud and hit pretty hard for a factory head unit with no subs. these trucks have individual little amps on each front door, so I was thinking if they made little stereo amps that could feed from the wiring that would be awesome to increase performance. even on the 6 speaker like mine they have these baby amps.

SnareDrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
So update. I was an idiot. I did have these adapters after all. But I ordered new a pillars for the base B&O so that the tweeters were firing into the cabin rather than onto the windshield and I was surprised that they came with new tweeters. So I decided to just leave those in for now. I put in all the other speakers along with sound deadening material and what a difference in sound. I’m quite happy.
That’s awesome, obviously I’m sure the quality is better. Any noticeable difference in volume?

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Well that’s a great question. Yes much louder! But the unknown is that I swapped my ACM for one out of a 22 raptor because I wanted HD radio. So not sure what really made the difference but it’s very noticeable.

Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Ok so I installed those 6x9s JBL club in the front doors and 6.5 in the rear using the 2020 model adapters and connectors from Crutchfield, and they fit flawlessly. talk about sound upgrade, these babys sound loud and hit pretty hard for a factory head unit with no subs. these trucks have individual little amps on each front door, so I was thinking if they made little stereo amps that could feed from the wiring that would be awesome to increase performance. even on the 6 speaker like mine they have these baby amps.
Can you list the speaker model numbers and the adapters you used? Did you replace the center speaker or the tweeters? I plan on just upgrading the speakers and leaving the rest OEM for now.

STX_guy2023

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 STX 2.7 Eco
Occupation
N/A
Can you list the speaker model numbers and the adapters you used? Did you replace the center speaker or the tweeters? I plan on just upgrading the speakers and leaving the rest OEM for now.
JBL club 9632 6x9's, JBL 620f 6.5's for rear, metra 72-5602 wire connectors, metra 72-5606 6x9 adapters, and 72-5605 6.5 adapters for the rears. also note you may need a hack saw to shorten the screws that come with the 6x9 speakers or use your own, because they give you these 2 inch screws for the covers that you don't need. what I did was put those metal clips on the back side of the screws and tighten them down, then I cut off the extra with a metal cutting saw. as for tweeters I left them alone, and I don't have the center speaker, mine is just the 6 speaker system not the B&O. so you may want to use different speakers, because I think your factory system uses 8 ohm speakers and the JBL's are 3-4 Ohm ratings and may kill the OEM amp.

Last edited:

SnareDrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
Well that’s a great question. Yes much louder! But the unknown is that I swapped my ACM for one out of a 22 raptor because I wanted HD radio. So not sure what really made the difference but it’s very noticeable.
That’s good to hear, I wonder what other differences there are. I think I’m going to go the same route as you. I ordered the sounds good stereo bass roll off solution and I’m going to install the aftermarket sub. I’ll have to order the door block off plates and upgrade the speakers to see what that gets me. I might have missed it, but did you upgrade the tweeters and if you did how did you wire them up? Gf the factory head unit like stock or use the crossovers from the door speakers to the tweeters

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Studio truck driver
That’s good to hear, I wonder what other differences there are. I think I’m going to go the same route as you. I ordered the sounds good stereo bass roll off solution and I’m going to install the aftermarket sub. I’ll have to order the door block off plates and upgrade the speakers to see what that gets me. I might have missed it, but did you upgrade the tweeters and if you did how did you wire them up? Gf the factory head unit like stock or use the crossovers from the door speakers to the tweeters
So I had the non B&O system. I ordered 2 new a piller pieces for the base B&O system to have the tweeters that face out instead of into the windshield. To my surprise the pillers came with the new tweeters installed so I just plugged them in and they sound worlds better than the other ones I had so I’m just rolling with those. So between the powerbass speakers and the new ACM my volume has increased huge. What it was volume wise at 20 is now about 13/14. At 20 it’s almost way to loud. I’m quite satisfied with the overall sound. Now I’ve just gotta figure out a small sun setup. I’ve got the ford kicker sun but that won’t work with this new ACM since it’s different software so not wanting to lose any storage space I’m going to just gut the kicker box. Might keep the sub speaker as it’s decent and I’ll just get a small amp for it and then figure out wiring. Hopefully find something plug and play. I don’t want to cut any wires.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
So I took @Porpoise Hork 's advice and ordered some Kicker DS 6x9 and 6.5 sets for front and rear. Also got some door block off plates and dynamat noise insulation ready. No amp planned for now since Im not going for volume.

Ill keep you guys updated once they come in and get installed.
I put the front 6x9s in today. Long process that required multiple trips to the hardware store to get me a drill and some insulation tape, but here are some pics.
- lots of butyl insulation on the outer door skin
- some butyl insulation on the inner door skin and door panel
- Added block off plates on the front door panels
- Replaced factory non b&o 4 ohm with kicker ds 6x9 3 ways
- Removed and Re applied foam insulation from factory speaker to new metra speajer harness

Attached some pics.

Results: I don't hear tweeters or center speaker as much anymore, the new speakers in their new enclosure deliver full range sound, very rich throughout.

Bass is much improved. Road noise was also reduced significantly. Am I happy? No lol... i think I need to recalibrate the eq and some settings in forscan to make things work better together now. Yes I'm happy now. Played with the EQ settings and I think the speakers need to just keep breaking in. Awesome clarity at all levels now.

Another note, for those who don't know, my finger is pointing at the clip you need to press down on to release the door latch cable

Ford F-150 Speakers-best bang for the buck PXL_20230604_194417989

Ford F-150 Speakers-best bang for the buck PXL_20230604_194413616

Ford F-150 Speakers-best bang for the buck PXL_20230604_194410440

Ford F-150 Speakers-best bang for the buck PXL_20230604_163907691

Last edited:

Sponsored

stew150

First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 eco
Upgrading the factory speakers in most cases will improve clarity and mid-bass output. It mostly depends on if the replacement speakers are in the correct RMS power range for the system as well as having a decently high efficiency rating. Most aftermarket speakers suffer from lower efficiency ratings than OEM's, due to their higher power handling ability causing them to sometimes not sound as good as factory. Choosing speakers that have a wide power range but also work well in low powered systems will almost always sound better than stock once dialed in. The speakers I chose for the F150 have decently low RMS and minimum power requirements well suited to run off a factory head unit without an amp. Other things can also be done to improve mid-bass like adding sound mat and foam pads behind the speakers. That's what I did on my Ranger with B&O since it already sounded good but lacked mid-bass. Just adding sound mat mate a world of difference on that truck compared to the absolute crap sounding oem speakers in the base F150 sound system.

Since mine has the standard sound system in it the doors are 4 ohm, but I don't know about the pillar tweeters since I never messed with those.
With that said what speakers have the correct RMS power and a high efficiency rating that can replace stock 150 door speakers

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
So I had the non B&O system. I ordered 2 new a piller pieces for the base B&O system to have the tweeters that face out instead of into the windshield. To my surprise the pillers came with the new tweeters installed so I just plugged them in and they sound worlds better than the other ones I had so I’m just rolling with those. So between the powerbass speakers and the new ACM my volume has increased huge. What it was volume wise at 20 is now about 13/14. At 20 it’s almost way to loud. I’m quite satisfied with the overall sound. Now I’ve just gotta figure out a small sun setup. I’ve got the ford kicker sun but that won’t work with this new ACM since it’s different software so not wanting to lose any storage space I’m going to just gut the kicker box. Might keep the sub speaker as it’s decent and I’ll just get a small amp for it and then figure out wiring. Hopefully find something plug and play. I don’t want to cut any wires.
Got part numbers for the pillars?

stew150

First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 eco
After reading through this thread I still don't heave a clear answer for "best bang for the buck". In my case I am looking to simply improve the stock speakers without adding a sub and preferable no amp to my 2022 XLT. From reading to leverage the stock system one would need a speaker with low RMS values which the the Kicker KS series seems to do. One area I don't see addressed is when should a simple woofer vs 2 or 3 way speaker be used. I have seen all mentioned for the 6X9 door speakers. Also, is there a speaker that would be appropriate for a stock set up but also for an amplified set up should I feel the need to do this at a later date?

When installing all door speakers I intend to apply sounds deadening tape to the door as well.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Studio truck driver
After reading through this thread I still don't heave a clear answer for "best bang for the buck". In my case I am looking to simply improve the stock speakers without adding a sub and preferable no amp to my 2022 XLT. From reading to leverage the stock system one would need a speaker with low RMS values which the the Kicker KS series seems to do. One area I don't see addressed is when should a simple woofer vs 2 or 3 way speaker be used. I have seen all mentioned for the 6X9 door speakers. Also, is there a speaker that would be appropriate for a stock set up but also for an amplified set up should I feel the need to do this at a later date?

When installing all door speakers I intend to apply sounds deadening tape to the door as well.
I’d say just get the powerbass speakers I got. Not too expensive easy to install. And they make a nice difference. They don’t need an amp.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Studio truck driver