Soot in exhaust condensate?

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
2021 5.0 with 11k miles. Noticed what I thought was an oil stain in my garage and noticed that there appears to be oily water / watery oil liquid dripping from several points between the engine and exhaust tip. Dealer says it is soot in the exhaust condensate. This happens on startup, when the engine is idling high - the water splashes and drips.

Took the truck in and dealership claimed this was normal operation - service tech and service manager both had a "canned" spiel about how the turbo system in the ecoboost can cause this... I had to kindly remind both that this was NOT the ecoboost and was the V8.

After some discussion with Ford customer service (800#) and the service manager at the dealer, the dealer changed the diagnosis to "not normal, but no solution known" status (I opened a "case" with Ford, with case #). This was supposed to trigger additional support from Ford on the issue, but I'm getting vague updates only after multiple emails/ phone calls to the service manager which mostly consist of "nothing yet, hoping to hear back from XYZ department at Ford". Honestly feels like the service manager isn't actually doing anything and just sending me BS responses or only following up with Ford once I've sent an email /left voicemail.

They've recommended not driving the truck less than 20km per cycle, using premium fuel, and not idling more than 10 minutes.
  • I already use premium (I'm a sucker, and I came from the 6.2 V8 from GM, which requires premium so I was already used to it)
  • I do not idle more than it takes me to walk to the truck, get in, buckle up, and go
  • I am not going to drive a minimum of 20km every time I get in my truck - that's dumb

Any recommendations on what might be causing this or what I can do to escalate so that I can get some actual support?

I'm loving my F150 but disappointed that my nearly brand new truck is leaving black stains wherever I start the truck.

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a1leak

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a2leak

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a3leak

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a6leak

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a5leak

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? a4leak
Sponsored

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Shoulda bought an EcoBoost…
probably true :)

But then the dealer would have their "out" and be able to totally wash away any random issue by saying "have you ever had an ecoboost before?..."

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Looks like normal condensation to me. Cold weather, winter gas has converter working hard. The only other source is coolant. what does the reservoir level look like?

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Looks like normal condensation to me. Cold weather, winter gas has converter working hard. The only other source is coolant. what does the reservoir level look like?
This was before the weather turned. Temps were in the 60s and 70s when I noticed. Good call on winter gas.

I'll check the coolant today. Could that cause the water to be so dark and dirty looking?

Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
This was before the weather turned. Temps were in the 60s and 70s when I noticed. Good call on winter gas.

I'll check the coolant today. Could that cause the water to be so dark and dirty looking?
Soot is a normal combustion by-product, it is the condensation from the converter washing soot off the walls of the exhaust pipe.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
probably true :)

But then the dealer would have their "out" and be able to totally wash away any random issue by saying "have you ever had an ecoboost before?..."
Yeah I was just kidding anyway, nobody should have to deal with any issues regardless what they buy.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
2021 5.0 with 11k miles. Noticed what I thought was an oil stain in my garage and noticed that there appears to be oily water / watery oil liquid dripping from several points between the engine and exhaust tip. Dealer says it is soot in the exhaust condensate. This happens on startup, when the engine is idling high - the water splashes and drips.

Took the truck in and dealership claimed this was normal operation - service tech and service manager both had a "canned" spiel about how the turbo system in the ecoboost can cause this... I had to kindly remind both that this was NOT the ecoboost and was the V8.

After some discussion with Ford customer service (800#) and the service manager at the dealer, the dealer changed the diagnosis to "not normal, but no solution known" status (I opened a "case" with Ford, with case #). This was supposed to trigger additional support from Ford on the issue, but I'm getting vague updates only after multiple emails/ phone calls to the service manager which mostly consist of "nothing yet, hoping to hear back from XYZ department at Ford". Honestly feels like the service manager isn't actually doing anything and just sending me BS responses or only following up with Ford once I've sent an email /left voicemail.

They've recommended not driving the truck less than 20km per cycle, using premium fuel, and not idling more than 10 minutes.
  • I already use premium (I'm a sucker, and I came from the 6.2 V8 from GM, which requires premium so I was already used to it)
  • I do not idle more than it takes me to walk to the truck, get in, buckle up, and go
  • I am not going to drive a minimum of 20km every time I get in my truck - that's dumb

Any recommendations on what might be causing this or what I can do to escalate so that I can get some actual support?

I'm loving my F150 but disappointed that my nearly brand new truck is leaving black stains wherever I start the truck.

a1leak.jpg

a2leak.jpg

a3leak.jpeg

a6leak.jpg

a5leak.jpg

a4leak.jpg
Hey there, Joe. Can you send us DM with your case number? I'll look into things with your F-150 on my end.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hey there, Joe. Can you send us DM with your case number? I'll look into things with your F-150 on my end.
Fantastic - thanks for the support! I've sent you a DM with my case number. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Custom home builder
In over 30 years of owning vehicles in New England, including three F150s, three Wranglers and three Disco/LR4, I have never seen an exhaust leak like that of my 2021 F150 5.0L (1,500 miles), regardless of season. Is it being implied here that this is "normal"? Is this a temporary "break in" situation?

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? IMG_6081

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? IMG_6083

Ford F-150 Soot in exhaust condensate? IMG_6082

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
In over 30 years of owning vehicles in New England, including three F150s, three Wranglers and three Disco/LR4, I have never seen an exhaust leak like that of my 2021 F150 5.0L (1,500 miles), regardless of season. Is it being implied here that this is "normal"? Is this a temporary "break in" situation?

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg
Hi Mike! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Shoulda bought an EcoBoost…
Funny thing….I just had this happen last week on my 2021 3.5 ecoboost with 14k miles. Dark black condensation coming out the exhaust tip and from one spot along the exhaust. So clearly it’s not engine dependent, and it certainly doesn’t seem normal to me, though that’s what my dealer told me. I’ve never had another car do this ever, and I’ve driven some real piles. Never did this on my ‘17 2.7 ecoboost either. Really strange.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Coming back for an update for anyone who might be dealing with the same. I finally got my service manager to escalate this and he looped in a "regional ford technician". The ford tech recommend a PCM re-calibration a few "aggressive" runs up to highway speed to burn off the soot in the system.

It took almost 6 months, 2-3 unannounced visits to the service center, and exactly 26 emails to the service manager to finally get enough of his attention to raise this with someone. It was fixed as soon as they did the PCM reflash.

Haven't had an issue since :)
Sponsored