Should Sport Mode Shift to 4x4?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
@Jesse-Infotainment , since you've BTDT, is there any difference between the IWE (Integrated Wheel End) on OE ESOF without 4A vs OE TOD with 4A?
Im not familair with wha tyou are asking or where that is.. The transfer case itself bolted up no change.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think he's concerned with whether the geometry from front differential to hubs is different? But this is a transfer case swap with no change to the front differential. So E-IWE or No-IWE would be unaffected.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Im not familair with wha tyou are asking or where that is.. The transfer case itself bolted up no change.
It's my understanding, and I could well be wrong (again!):

The Gen 14's with the ESOF transfer case use an electrically-actuated IWE at each front hub to disengage the drive at the hub when 4WD is not engaged. By contrast I understand the TOD version has no IWE so the front wheels are always engaged to the front half-shafts / differential.

IWE serving as a modern automatic substitute for the old-school 4WD manual-locking front hubs.

SO, I'm seeking confirmation (or correction) of that understanding. And, if I'm correct, it begs a question about swapping the TC from ESOF to TOD, and what happens or has to change relating to to the signals controlling the function of the IWE?

IF the TOD expects there to be no IWE (front wheels always engaged to the half-shafts) does anything need to be done to the IWE or its control system that's present with the ESOF to make it always engaged when a TOD is swapped-in?

Maybe the TCCM for both ESOF and TOD manage the IWE, but that strikes me as unlikely if the TOD trucks don't have IWE as OE (?)

I'm guessing that a reason why the Gen 14 TOD may not have an IWE / may keep the front wheels always engaged is because when in 4A mode the system is frequently and quickly changing drive / no drive to the front wheels and an Off/On IWE can't respond quickly and smoothly to those transitions (?)

I'm guessing that older versions with TOD + IWE had a signal to 'lock' the IWE engaged when in 4A mode, but Ford decided for some reason to change that (?)

Yeah, lots of potentially wrong understandings, lots of guesses and assumptions ...... just trying to get a correct understanding of 'how it all works' which I've not been able to find in my studies of the Workshop Manual.

I'm a retired engineer and a life-long 'gear-head', so maybe that's why I'm cursed with curiosity about this sort of stuff in all its nuances 🤔 (and I'm waaay to old to be ashamed to ask when I don't know an answer, without apology for that ;))

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

The Gen 14's with the ESOF transfer case use an electrically-actuated IWE at each front hub to disengage the drive at the hub when 4WD is not engaged. By contrast I understand the TOD version has no IWE so the front wheels are always engaged to the front half-shafts / differential.

IWE serving as a modern automatic substitute for the old-school 4WD manual-locking front hubs.

SO, I'm seeking confirmation (or correction) of that understanding. And, if I'm correct, it begs a question about swapping the TC from ESOF to TOD, and what happens or has to change relating to to the signals controlling the function of the IWE?

IF the TOD expects there to be no IWE (front wheels always engaged to the half-shafts) does anything need to be done to the IWE or its control system that's present with the ESOF to make it always engaged when a TOD is swapped-in?

Maybe the TCCM for both ESOF and TOD manage the IWE, but that strikes me as unlikely if the TOD trucks don't have IWE as OE (?)

I'm guessing that a reason why the Gen 14 TOD may not have an IWE / may keep the front wheels always engaged is because when in 4A mode the system is frequently and quickly changing drive / no drive to the front wheels and an Off/On IWE can't respond quickly and smoothly to those transitions (?)

I'm guessing that older versions with TOD + IWE had a signal to 'lock' the IWE engaged when in 4A mode, but Ford decided for some reason to change that (?)

Yeah, lots of potentially wrong understandings, lots of guesses and assumptions ...... just trying to get a correct understanding of 'how it all works' which I've not been able to find in my studies of the Workshop Manual.

I'm a retired engineer and a life-long 'gear-head', so maybe that's why I'm cursed with curiosity about this sort of stuff in all its nuances 🤔 (and I'm waaay to old to be ashamed to ask when I don't know an answer, without apology for that ;))
iTS OUTSIDE MY KNOWLEDGE. i KNOW MY 4WD ALL WORKS after. Ive had no issues or binding. So I cant answer it. I can say its working I have had no issues or DTCs or wierd driving problems.

This is in the WSM

Ford F-150 Should Sport Mode Shift to 4x4? 1669171399367

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

The Gen 14's with the ESOF transfer case use an electrically-actuated IWE at each front hub to disengage the drive at the hub when 4WD is not engaged. By contrast I understand the TOD version has no IWE so the front wheels are always engaged to the front half-shafts / differential. YES

IWE serving as a modern automatic substitute for the old-school 4WD manual-locking front hubs. YES

SO, I'm seeking confirmation (or correction) of that understanding. And, if I'm correct, it begs a question about swapping the TC from ESOF to TOD, and what happens or has to change relating to to the signals controlling the function of the IWE? A SIGNAL WOULD MOST LIKLEY NEED TO BE PROVIDED AND KEEP IWE ENGAGED ALL TIME YOU ARE IN 4A.

IF the TOD expects there to be no IWE (front wheels always engaged to the half-shafts) does anything need to be done to the IWE or its control system that's present with the ESOF to make it always engaged when a TOD is swapped-in? I WOULD THINK SO AS ABOVE. THE PCM WOULD THINK THE FRONT END IS ENGAGED AS IT IS WITH THOSE TRUCKS WITHOUT IWE'S, TO WORK CORRECTLY OR AS FAST AS IT DOES WITH THOSE TRUCKS WITHOUT IWE.

I'm guessing that a reason why the Gen 14 TOD may not have an IWE / may keep the front wheels always engaged is because when in 4A mode the system is frequently and quickly changing drive / no drive to the front wheels and an Off/On IWE can't respond quickly and smoothly to those transitions (?)VERY LOGICAL THOUGHT AND I AGREE.

I'm guessing that older versions with TOD + IWE had a signal to 'lock' the IWE engaged when in 4A mode, but Ford decided for some reason to change that (?)YES THEY ENGAGED IN OLDER TRUCKS WITH IWES WHEN 4A WAS SELECTED

See my replies above in reddish (y)
previous TOD setups with iwe did engage iwe when 4A was selected.
i will add i had 4A in my 13 f150 and th3 16 exp..both of them were what i considered SLOW to provide pwr to front wheels when conditions required it. the 22 150 seems to PLANT power to front wheels faster and smoother than my previous vehicles.
my 2013 was clunky when front wheels got power, the 16 was a bit smoother, but still had clunks

if i press the go pedal abruptly and in the LETS GO mode in 4a in the 22 , it puts pwr up front smoothly and you can feel front tires pulling you by the seat of pants.
and if you watch the power distribution screen in 4a and floor it. the power is shown to apply ..way up on the scale.
and thanks to jessie, we know the iwe by default are engaged, so a signal to dis engage would be required. this would make it easy to swap out and not worry about the iwe engagement as they would be . which really makes much more sense that having to have signal to unlock them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
This is in the WSM
Please understand I never doubted that your swap works, just was struggling to understand how and why (my problem entirely).

Thanks very much for that clip from the WSM which I had not found*** (y) , I think that provides the keys to my questions ....

1. On trucks with the ESOF the IWE is engaged by default with no energizing signal ! With the ESOF the IWE requires a signal to actively disengage when in 2WD, not a signal to engage when in 4WD !​
2. That's the opposite of my expectation / assumption, so is key to getting me straightened out​
3. That implicitly explains that when a Gen 14 TOD + TCCM is swapped into an ESOF truck, the IWE simply never gets a signal to dis-engage, rendering the front hubs always engaged, so the system behaves as if there is no IWE installed at all (just as it would with an OE TOD installation).​
Thanks everyone for helping the curious olde-phart understand this stuff :)
*** EDIT - I just did a word search of the WSM I have which is a PDF I purchased filtered to my VIN (my VIN has the TOD so does not have the IWE); my 'incomplete' WSM does not have that page @Jesse-Infotainment posted o_O:mad: . Bummed about that but not feeling quite the fool for not finding that critical bit of info, thanks again, Jesse!

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2021 Platinum Powerboost had 4A transfer case AND E-IWE hubs

My 2022 KingRanch Powerboost has 4A transfer case and no IWE at all.

I don't think the 4A transfer case requires either IWE option. And I don't think the front differential is different between the XLT or my 2021 Platinum or my 2022 KingRanch

I have NOT compared part numbers to prove my assertions either way.

Note that Ford recently released a TSB for earlier generation F150's that effectively is an IWE delete. It literally removes vacuum permanently from the IWE's and caps off the vacuum lines. I can't believe it took them so long.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
My 2021 Platinum Powerboost had 4A transfer case AND E-IWE hubs

My 2022 KingRanch Powerboost has 4A transfer case and no IWE at all.

I don't think the 4A transfer case requires either IWE option. And I don't think the front differential is different between the XLT or my 2021 Platinum or my 2022 KingRanch

I have NOT compared part numbers to prove my assertions either way.

Note that Ford recently released a TSB for earlier generation F150's that effectively is an IWE delete. It literally removes vacuum permanently from the IWE's and caps off the vacuum lines. I can't believe it took them so long
Nope, I wasn't aware of the TSB. That might have clued me about the IWE being engaged by default.

All interesting continuing education and in the end a bit puzzling (why IWE ever?). I'm certainly not doubting your assertions about any of this.

In any case the ESOF > TOD swap does seem to be a very straightforward and somewhat surprisingly reasonably priced project for those so inclined. I'll readily admit that the TOD carried a good amount of weight in my decision to step up from an XLT to a Lariat.

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Here's the recent TSB regarding 2006-2020 F150's with vacuum controlled IWE
So if I'm reading Step 2 of that TSB that correctly, the TSB keeps the vacuum IWE functioning on ESOF (without 4A) trucks, but changes the TCCM strategy to better ensure eventual full disengagement in 2WD mode.

On trucks with the TOD (with 4A) steps 5-7 disable the Vacuum IWE completely (the hubs won't 'freewheel' even in 2WD mode.

It seems something makes hub disengagement desirable for the ESOF but unnecessary / not desirable with the TOD 🤔

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So is there somthing I should look at with my swap? Or be concerned about. I understand that because it works doent meanits right.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Snakebitten did we get the raptor transfer case in leiu of iwe?
I don't know if the Raptor gets a different transfer case, but I believe both the Raptor and the Tremor get a different front differential that allows for limited slip at the front wheels. I imagine it's awesome for rock crawling!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So is there somthing I should look at with my swap? Or be concerned about. I understand that because it works doent meanits right.
I wouldn't be.
I suspect that you have the electric IWE on your truck? So with your swap your truck is now configured exactly like a 2021 4A equipped truck.

Ford, for whatever reason, (I have my own opinions) dropped the IWE altogether on some trucks in 2022. And that would decrease fuel efficiency a small amount in 2WD. Note that the same exact trucks between 2021 & 2022 have a different EPA rating of 24mpg/23mpg

I have no proof that the drop is directly related to the permanently locked front hubs, but it would account for some measure of that 1mpg.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I wouldn't be.
I suspect that you have the electric IWE on your truck? So with your swap your truck is now configured exactly like a 2021 4A equipped truck.

Ford, for whatever reason, (I have my own opinions) dropped the IWE altogether on some trucks in 2022. And that would decrease fuel efficiency a small amount in 2WD. Note that the same exact trucks between 2021 & 2022 have a different EPA rating of 24mpg/23mpg

I have no proof that the drop is directly related to the permanently locked front hubs, but it would account for some measure of that 1mpg.
Ok, I suppose I do have IWE. This is a area I dotn have much expertise in. So I appreciate it. I didnt even think there would be any difference in the 4wd systems. Logic with Ford doesnt seem to mix though.

Thanks @Snakebitten
Sponsored