Sponsored

Shifter +/-

BoostLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
I just found out this morning that you can adjust the maximum available gears by clicking +/- on the shifter. I know that 6 is the sweet spot for driving in electric mode for me so I set it to a max of 7. Anyone finding success with limiting the 10 speed?
Sponsored

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
The point of locking out gears is to stay out of boost when towing. I don't think you'll get the results you're after. Just let the truck do what it wants.
I did get slightly better MPG when towing a 5000 lb travel trailer (at 70 mph) by locking out 9 and 10.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I just found out this morning that you can adjust the maximum available gears by clicking +/- on the shifter. I know that 6 is the sweet spot for driving in electric mode for me so I set it to a max of 7. Anyone finding success with limiting the 10 speed?
I’m not sure that’s accurate. You want the electric motor spinning slower for higher torque/efficiency. I find getting it in the highest gear as fast as possible is best

OP
OP
BoostLife

BoostLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
I’m not sure that’s accurate. You want the electric motor spinning slower for higher torque/efficiency. I find getting it in the highest gear as fast as possible is best
I have a hard time getting electric to kick in at 7, 8, 9 and 10. I’m going to try a couple different settings to see if it makes a difference.

Sponsored

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
I use that function regularly when descending hills, keep kicking the shifter lower to lock the transmission from shifting up, this reduces the need to use the brakes as much as the engine compression / tranny combo holds back the weight of the vehicle better preventing going down the hill like an uncontrolled rocket.

Came down a hill one time, quite a twisty gravel backroad, myself driving my truck, was in the Powerboost at the time and another friend driving a VW car, got to the bottom and her brakes smelt like they were about ready to catch fire, she had coasted in drive all the way down, I shifted down to around 3 for the steep spots shifting up a bit on flat sections controlling my speed all the way down with the engine, hardly used the brakes at all.

rjinaz

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 701A
I have a hard time getting electric to kick in at 7, 8, 9 and 10. I’m going to try a couple different settings to see if it makes a difference.
Letting off the gas alone will not always get electric mode to kick in.
Just tap the brakes for a second. If the demand on the powertrain is low enough and the battery has sufficient charge, that will force it into electric mode.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I lock out gears every day I drive the truck for my commute.
It's mostly the nerd in me while I'm monitoring PIDs and observing how the truck is being managed by the OEM calibration.

I personally feel that the shift strategy in Normal mode is way too hell-bent on getting into the overdrive ratios. Which results in lower rpm cruising at 55-60, and even 45-55, than I like.

It's similar to riding a 10-speed bicycle and always being one or two ratios taller than my thigh muscles prefer. Feels a bit strained to me. Unnecessarily so. If it was a standard transmission in the truck, I'd often be in a gear or two lower.

In short, I prefer NOT to cruise at 1200-1400 rpms. Borderline lugging, in my opinion.

So that +- button is handy for me to manually make the top gear available that matches the pace I'm at on any extended cruise speed of a few miles. And both the vacuum PID/KR PID reflect positively on the gear ratio that I make available. Truck seems happier.

Hey, Ford equipped the vehicle with the feature! I don't think it's hacking or tricking the truck in any way. :)
Every once in a while I put the truck in M-mode and use the +- to drive it like my Miata. Just to stretch its legs a bit, if you know what I mean.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I use that function regularly when descending hills, keep kicking the shifter lower to lock the transmission from shifting up, this reduces the need to use the brakes as much as the engine compression / tranny combo holds back the weight of the vehicle better preventing going down the hill like an uncontrolled rocket.

Came down a hill one time, quite a twisty gravel backroad, myself driving my truck, was in the Powerboost at the time and another friend driving a VW car, got to the bottom and her brakes smelt like they were about ready to catch fire, she had coasted in drive all the way down, I shifted down to around 3 for the steep spots shifting up a bit on flat sections controlling my speed all the way down with the engine, hardly used the brakes at all.
Thanks for this post. I sold my trusty '94 GMC with a 5-speed manual transmission two years ago and replaced it with the F-150 Powerboost. So it's my first time driving an automatic. I've been wondering about the recommended method for descending long, steep freeway grades. Descending the Blue Mountains out here in eastern Oregon comes to mind.
We tow a lightweight teardrop trailer (GTVW is less than 2000lbs), so I have no worries about how the truck handles it. But that's no excuse for abusing the truck's brakes.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I lock out gears every day I drive the truck for my commute.
It's mostly the nerd in me while I'm monitoring PIDs and observing how the truck is being managed by the OEM calibration.

I personally feel that the shift strategy in Normal mode is way too hell-bent on getting into the overdrive ratios. Which results in lower rpm cruising at 55-60, and even 45-55, than I like.

It's similar to riding a 10-speed bicycle and always being one or two ratios taller than my thigh muscles prefer. Feels a bit strained to me. Unnecessarily so. If it was a standard transmission in the truck, I'd often be in a gear or two lower.

In short, I prefer NOT to cruise at 1200-1400 rpms. Borderline lugging, in my opinion.

So that +- button is handy for me to manually make the top gear available that matches the pace I'm at on any extended cruise speed of a few miles. And both the vacuum PID/KR PID reflect positively on the gear ratio that I make available. Truck seems happier.

Hey, Ford equipped the vehicle with the feature! I don't think it's hacking or tricking the truck in any way. :)
Every once in a while I put the truck in M-mode and use the +- to drive it like my Miata. Just to stretch its legs a bit, if you know what I mean.
I wish Ford had put paddles in the F-150. Would be a lot easier shifting than using that little +/- button.

Heck, my 2018 Fusion SE with 1.5L EB and normal & Sport mode came with paddles.
Sponsored