Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Hi all,

I recently picked up some used wheels I will use for winter tires. The wheels are off of a 2019 F-150 and they do not have TPMS sensors. I looked at the price of new sensors and was somewhat shocked at the range of prices. Ford sensors (TPMS68) run about $60 each, but aftermarket are cheaper. So here are my questions:

1. If a TPMS sensor is listed as “programmed”, what does that mean?
2. Are rubber stems better or worse than the metal two piece variety?
3. Will my 2021 F-150 need special tools to ”see” the new sensors?
4. What brand sensors are a good value?

Thanks
Sponsored

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
I was searching the forum for answers to the same questions you asked above. Did you ever find any answers on your own?

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
I was searching the forum for answers to the same questions you asked above. Did you ever find any answers on your own?
okay, i will answer with what i know just know it may not be 100% accurate.

1. programmed sensors just means there is an id already in the sensor that vehicles can read. you would just need to trigger the sensor wile in programming mode on the vehicle to program the new sensor id with the vehicle.where unprogrammed sensors have nothing programmed and will need a tool to write the sensor id to it.

2. I dont think it really matters I have used both with no issues. potential issues with metal stems are corosion of the stem and if it has a metal cap it can sieze then you cant air your tire up without destroying something. metal is also easier to snap off it gets hit. metal stems depending on how the sensors mount they can be really slow to air up your tires.

3. If it was my vehicle i would program the sensors to my vehicle but I also have the tools to do that. if you have programmed sensors i think the 14th gen trucks can auto program after some driving time but dont quote me on that.

4. Any brand sensor should work as long as the frequency is 315mhz.

I have an autel tpms tool so I like their 1-mx sensor because it works with any vehicle being either 315 or 433mhz. The 1-mx is about $29 a sensor or you can get a 4 pack for a little cheaper than you can individually. the only issue is they need to be programmed first so you will need a compatable tpms tool. the autel ts408 or ts508 should work and you can get package deals with 4 sensors the easiest place being amazon. It is more expencive than the ford option listed next option but in my opnion its a better deal. Another bonus to this sensor is if you have two sets of rims and tires you can copy the id from your current sensor and paste it to the new one. Then when you switch wheel sets you dont have to do anything to reprogram them. This is what i have done in the past and plan on doing it again if i get a winter set of wheels.
This is the ford option https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1180-B
This has a just a trigger tool and is a little over priced for what it is.
or lastly and maybe cheapest talk to your local tire shop or dealer and price it out with them.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had a 2011 F 150 that I had a set winter tires and rims with TPMs. Those TPMs didn't work on my 2021, but were reprogrammed to work buy my tire shop that supplied them. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, so when I switch from summer to winter tires and back to summer tires, I go to my dealer and they come out and reprogram the system. Takes less than 5 minutes and they don't charge for it. My dealer is on a 15 minute drive away.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Good to know there is a non OEM option that works. I will check out the Autel options.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
for anyone looking, Ive used these guys, alot cheaper than most

and they were OEM

https://www.tpms.com/
Sponsored