Sponsored

Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue?

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
The stickers had never bothered me in prior vehicles but this is the first vehicle I've owned that has a black roof liner so to my eye that makes the stickers MUCH more obtrusive. After scanning the forums for advice/wisdom on how to remove the sun visor stickers I finally mustered up the courage to try it myself. I used a hair dryer with a flat funnel/narrow attachment (probably not needed but why not), tweezers to pull, and a lot of patience. I took my time and was sure to spend several minutes heating each area before attempting to pull back with the tweezers. As many have echoed prior the key was heat, patiently applied. I was surprised at how hot it got before the glue seemed to release. The tweezers were nice because of the fine point and more dexterous to work with but I probably should have switched to plyers once things got underway because the heat would travel up the short tweezers and burn my fingers forcing me to break for a moment.

Overall I am pleased with the result. The fabric stayed in great shape. What remains is the residue. The picture makes the residue look worse than it is, it seems reflective in the photo which it is not. Yes, the residue in person is noticeable but not nearly as noticeable/obtrusive than the yellow and white stickers on the black ceiling. I'm torn between leaving it alone or attacking the remaining residue with something. What products/methods have others used to remove the residue? And perhaps more importantly, did the removal method leave the fabric in good shape still?

Ford F-150 Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue? PXL_20230125_185954764.MP
Sponsored

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I heated mine up and peeled it off. Still has glue a year later. I have no idea how to get it off. Itlooks a little better than the sticker.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I wish I knew. I hate the stickers so much that. I wonder if the euro spec ones have stickers all over them.

I guess the hard part is finding something to get it off without discoloring the fabric. I wonder if denatured alcohol would??

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I don’t know about denatured. I tried isopropyl 90% and that didn’t work

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don’t know about denatured. I tried isopropyl 90% and that didn’t work
I'm glad you chimed in. 90% alcohol was going to be my first guess/attempt.

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Goo Gone or Goof Off would be my recommendation for hard surfaces, but sadly, I have nothing to offer for fabric surfaces.

Last edited:

Techguy82

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT
On my '16 f150 I used Goo Gone spray gel. Havent gotten around to removing the stickers from my Tremors visors yet...

Techguy82

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT
Here's my post from 2016 on the f150 forum, assumj g they are the same on our 14th gen trucks:

Thanks guys, did mine today on my black visors. I didn't use my heat gun on the stickers- I peeled those off with no heat. Ended up removing them and scrubbing the leftover adhesive with a shop towel and goo gone. I found if you spray the goo gone, let sit for a minute or so, then hit it with a heat gun on lowest setting for a few seconds then scrub, the adhesive comes right off.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sun-visor-stickers-302831/index4/

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their cars.
The stickers had never bothered me in prior vehicles but this is the first vehicle I've owned that has a black roof liner so to my eye that makes the stickers MUCH more obtrusive. After scanning the forums for advice/wisdom on how to remove the sun visor stickers I finally mustered up the courage to try it myself. I used a hair dryer with a flat funnel/narrow attachment (probably not needed but why not), tweezers to pull, and a lot of patience. I took my time and was sure to spend several minutes heating each area before attempting to pull back with the tweezers. As many have echoed prior the key was heat, patiently applied. I was surprised at how hot it got before the glue seemed to release. The tweezers were nice because of the fine point and more dexterous to work with but I probably should have switched to plyers once things got underway because the heat would travel up the short tweezers and burn my fingers forcing me to break for a moment.

Overall I am pleased with the result. The fabric stayed in great shape. What remains is the residue. The picture makes the residue look worse than it is, it seems reflective in the photo which it is not. Yes, the residue in person is noticeable but not nearly as noticeable/obtrusive than the yellow and white stickers on the black ceiling. I'm torn between leaving it alone or attacking the remaining residue with something. What products/methods have others used to remove the residue? And perhaps more importantly, did the removal method leave the fabric in good shape still?

PXL_20230125_185954764.MP.jpg
I've used Goo Gone for similar things and it worked pretty well. I believe they make some that are safe for both hard and soft surfaces

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I use 3M Adhesive Remover

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
That's what I bought too. The pictures make them look shinier than they actually are but once they are installed they blend in and they are way less noticeable than the OEM stickers. Plus they are vinyl overlays so they can easily be removed.
Ford F-150 Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue? 1674747885150

Ford F-150 Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue? 1674747871467

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for sharing the link to the sticker covers. I may indeed resort to using those. Until then I will be trying the goo gone + heating removal method and will report back here with my lessons learned.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Update: Successfully removed the sticker residue. I am beyond pleased with how well it turned out. The key ingredients were: heat, goo gone, and patience. More specifically: I spent several minutes heating the remaining residue with a hair dryer, making it hot to the touch. Then I liberally sprayed on goo-gone, let it sit for a minute or two, and then reheated the residue with the goo gone still on it. Finally I added some goo gone to a microfiber towel wrapped around my finger tip and went to work. I found that light pressure combined with speed and liberal reapplication of goo gone on the microfiber to work best. An interesting note is that it seemed I could scrub indefinitely coming from one particular angle (side to side for example) and nothing would remove, but if I attacked that same spot from a different angle, such as up and down or at a 45 the residue would come off. I finished up by wiping down with water on a damp microfiber and drying the visor on a medium heat setting.
Ford F-150 Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue? PXL_20230130_180554774

I must add that a single sticker took me about 1 hour from start to finish. Whether or not all of my steps and fastidiousness were needed to get the end result I am unsure, but I am at least very happy that my time investment paid off.
Sponsored