Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Well after hitting a deer in my previous truck I figured I’d add a little front end protection to my new rig. I’m self employed and my truck is how I earn my living and beings that I live in the mountains in the PNW makes hitting animals inevitable at some point. The down time due to insurance is more of a pain than the slight loss of fuel economy that the bull bar will add. There are obviously options out there which would withstand a deer impact even better, like one of those ranch hand full steel replacement bumpers, but I like my chrome bumpers and this will be better than nothing. I purchased the bull bar from AmericanTrucks.com, I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. It attaches using the bolts for the tow hooks on the front and a couple brackets which attach to the frame.

I apologize in advance for the low picture quality, the camera on my phone recently decided it doesn’t like to focus anymore 🙄

Ford F-150 Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed 9E3C7161-4054-4AEE-B210-39BC0F89A720

Ford F-150 Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed A4D071B6-514F-441C-BCA6-95E4B1AF4B8B

Ford F-150 Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed 1657306E-5ABD-43DF-9824-8D9231903B8B

Ford F-150 Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed 57369619-5845-497D-A196-E4DABFAC6862
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Check out the pictures of deer going through windshields and often the vehicles have a guard in place. Seems like the guard results in the animal being tossed up and through the windshield.

I prefer to not overdrive my headlights at night or my sight distance during the day and not hit deer in the first place. Better strategy for the deer and for me and my passenger. If it takes me 5 minutes longer to reach my destination it is not a big deal.

OP
OP
Sneezy

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I prefer to not overdrive my headlights at night or my sight distance during the day and not hit deer in the first place. Better strategy for the deer and for me and my passenger. If it takes me 5 minutes longer to reach my destination it is not a big deal.
I am well aware that no solution is perfect, but in my situation the deer jumped out 50ft in front of my last truck on a 60mph road. Unless I was going 20mph there would have been no avoiding it. Going drastically under the speed limit would have created its own safety hazards when there were no problems with visibility that day. Can’t predict the next accident, I’m just hoping this falls in the category of a little money spent on prevention means it will never actually happen 😂

The truck will be getting lifted as well to get the nose higher in the striking zone, but the truck is only a month old. Getting my katzkins installed is next on my list though, they should be arriving this week 👍🏻

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The images look like more the result of a dirty lens than being out of focus.

I’ve known people that had deer jump their cars and crash through the rear window or hatch. A bull bar had nothing to do with it. Unless there’s fur/blood or other proof that the bar tumbled the deer into the windshield; I would chalk it up to coincidence. Also, whenever I travel rural Texas or Maine and other places where conflicts with wildlife and traffic are more likely to occur; nearly every truck and tractor trailer will have a bull bar.

I just replaced my halogen headlights with LED and the front end is so lightly built that I might be getting a set of push bars as long as they won’t interfere with any of the nonsense sensors and camera.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The windshield of a tractor trailer rig is at least 5 feet further above the ground and not comparable to a small pickup truck. When I see pickups and sedans with smashed in windshields and the brush guard provided no real protection I have to question its value.

The downside as well to consider is that a modification such as this can result in the air bags failing to deploy with a collision of any kind. I checked with a local body shop and asked if there was a work around as I wanted to add a winch in the front and they told me that there was no fix.

My wife is easily intimidated by anyone following her while driving and lets them dictate the speed even if it is unsafe with the current conditions. I resist that impulse and let people pass me as no sense being in an avoidable accident. Often in fog I will be at a reduced speed and guys and gals will start to pass me and then realize they cannot see anything they slow down and get back behind me.

Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
A wise investment sir. My last truck 2016 XL scab 4x4 V8 was totaled by a WI buck.

Ford F-150 Pre-Runner Brush Guard installed 45101D45-4EFD-438E-A2CC-869F03BB5A26

Last edited:

Sarynnus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
On Armordillo's website that Brush Guard states it only fits 2015-2020 F150's. Is this incorrect, or what did you do to make it fit the Gen14?

OP
OP
Sneezy

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
On Armordillo's website that Brush Guard states it only fits 2015-2020 F150's. Is this incorrect, or what did you do to make it fit the Gen14?
It works for gen 14 as well. It uses the tow hook bolts for mounting and everything lined up perfectly 👍🏻

FEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 lariat
Occupation
Welder
It works for gen 14 as well. It uses the tow hook bolts for mounting and everything lined up perfectly 👍🏻
So you’re saying no problem with radar and adaptive cruise control?

OP
OP
Sneezy

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
So you’re saying no problem with radar and adaptive cruise control?
I don’t have adaptive cruise control or front parking sensors as mine is an XL, so I’m not sure about interference with those

Sponsored

ChrisPAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
Well after hitting a deer in my previous truck I figured I’d add a little front end protection to my new rig. I’m self employed and my truck is how I earn my living and beings that I live in the mountains in the PNW makes hitting animals inevitable at some point. The down time due to insurance is more of a pain than the slight loss of fuel economy that the bull bar will add. There are obviously options out there which would withstand a deer impact even better, like one of those ranch hand full steel replacement bumpers, but I like my chrome bumpers and this will be better than nothing. I purchased the bull bar from AmericanTrucks.com, I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. It attaches using the bolts for the tow hooks on the front and a couple brackets which attach to the frame.

I apologize in advance for the low picture quality, the camera on my phone recently decided it doesn’t like to focus anymore 🙄

9E3C7161-4054-4AEE-B210-39BC0F89A720.jpeg

A4D071B6-514F-441C-BCA6-95E4B1AF4B8B.jpeg

1657306E-5ABD-43DF-9824-8D9231903B8B.jpeg

57369619-5845-497D-A196-E4DABFAC6862.jpeg
Did you install the guard yourself? I ordered this recently and a customs shop quoted $360 for install…

OP
OP
Sneezy

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Did you install the guard yourself? I ordered this recently and a customs shop quoted $360 for install…
Yep I installed it myself, it’s fairly straightforward, and much easier if you have a second set of hands (I didn’t) to assist holding it while getting the bolts in.
Sponsored