First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 F250 Turbo Diesel,2021 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
UPDATE. Picking the truck up from the dealer in the morning after 3 days in the shop. The issue with the powertrain malfunction after going through an automated carwash. I was told not to go through a carwash that sprays the undercarriage. That these trucks were not designed to have that kind of pressure sprayed under them. I had to laugh, I guess Telsa, Toyota, Grand Touring any hybrid can not get an undercarriage wash interesting. I'm drafting my letter to Ford Motor Company for a better answer. Many others have had the same issue after an automated carwash.
HI there, I got a question to ask the dealership, "What happens when I go 4 wheeling through a pool of water or wheeling in the mud when it rain"? I am planning to do some 4 wheeling in my truck, it's what I bought my truck for too!! What about that? The electronic on top of the trans, not waterproof? Wondering what their answer going to be?? Let all know, Ray
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Sho, 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired United States Army
HI there, I got a question to ask the dealership, "What happens when I go 4 wheeling through a pool of water or wheeling in the mud when it rain"? I am planning to do some 4 wheeling in my truck, it's what I bought my truck for too!! What about that? The electronic on top of the trans, not waterproof? Wondering what their answer going to be?? Let all know, Ray
That was my question too. I said so if I go 4 wheeling and get mud everywhere I just have to leave it. He said well with the trucks being new not a lot of customer complaints about the issue yet. I told him to come on here and read the forums and he will see I'm not the only one. I'm going to make a call in the morning to Ford I'm guessing I will get some bs answer. But as much as these trucks cost this should not be an issue and needs to be addressed.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My guess is that you have a wiring harness that is not fully together, or the o-ring was out of position when it got put together and it isn't sealing properly. I saw a few other people post in the Powerboost powertrain forum or even here about that. Truck worked fine until it was wet outside and the dealer found a bad connection somewhere under the truck.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
UPDATE. Picking the truck up from the dealer in the morning after 3 days in the shop. The issue with the powertrain malfunction after going through an automated carwash. I was told not to go through a carwash that sprays the undercarriage. That these trucks were not designed to have that kind of pressure sprayed under them. I had to laugh, I guess Telsa, Toyota, Grand Touring any hybrid can not get an undercarriage wash interesting. I'm drafting my letter to Ford Motor Company for a better answer. Many others have had the same issue after an automated carwash.
That is absolute bullshit. I run my truck through a carwash all the time. If these trucks can't handle a carwash, they cannot handle anything.
If you have a Twitter account, tag @ford.

In fact, there's a Ford rep I see inside of this forum, @Ford Motor Company. Please tell us your hybrid trucks can handle a simple carwash.

JCU Delt Ox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Raptor
So my truck has been at the dealership since August 20th. I'm currently waiting on Ford P/N ML3Z5A212S. The original ETA was 9/24, but was notified today that it may be as late as 10/15. What I don't know is how this part plays into the issues I've been having.

My Lemon Law Complaint hits the mail tomorrow. I'd just trade it in on a Raptor if dealers weren't asking $10K+ over MSRP for them. I've seen as much as $20K within a couple hours drive.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Isn’t there a TSB directed exactly at this problem? And instructs techs to do a road test that involved accelerating over 4000 rpm and checking some values (I think commanded voltage vs actual voltage or something similar). If the test fails, they’re to replace the hybrid motor.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Isn’t there a TSB directed exactly at this problem? And instructs techs to do a road test that involved accelerating over 4000 rpm and checking some values (I think commanded voltage vs actual voltage or something similar). If the test fails, they’re to replace the hybrid motor.
Ops problem doesn't seem to be acceleration related. It's happening when he gets through a carwash, and the errors he's getting (plus the truck going into limp mode) also are not aligned with the hybrid drive unit issue, which shouldn't give you more trouble than a CEL after putting your right foot down.

Source: I have an entire thread about my transmission being replaced due to the hybrid drive unit issue.

JAW1254

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Thunderbird PCR, 2018 F 150 Platinum
Occupation
Sales
I would have laughed and most likely given them one of my looks. So, they believe you have to drive 15 in a heavy rainstorm or not cross the creek when you are off-road? That is total BS! I too am interested in Ford's response.

Dock4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
A similar thing happened to me this morning. Everything was normal, went through an automated car wash, about 10 seconds later I got the alerts:

- Electric fault with the accelerator pedal position sensor
- Powertrain malfunction/reduced power
- Powertrain Control module has detected an electrical concern with the supply voltage for some of powertrain sensors
- Pre-collision assist not available

Powerboost with 8,400 miles
Update since my last post. It happened again to me...this time 100 miles from my house. The truck was sitting outside for about 48 hours. A couple of hours before I went to leave it started raining. When I started the truck, I was able to put it in drive, then it immediately told me to safely pull over. The truck then put itself in park and shut off. I called roadside assistance and had it towed. I also had to get an uber to rent a car to get home.

The dealer has now had it for 2 weeks. The good news is, they can replicate the issue by running it through their carwash. The bad news is, they have no idea how to fix it or when to expect it fixed. They will try to identify the issue by the process of elimination. At this point, I'm not very confident it will be fixed anytime soon, or at all.

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
Update since my last post. It happened again to me...this time 100 miles from my house. The truck was sitting outside for about 48 hours. A couple of hours before I went to leave it started raining. When I started the truck, I was able to put it in drive, then it immediately told me to safely pull over. The truck then put itself in park and shut off. I called roadside assistance and had it towed. I also had to get an uber to rent a car to get home.

The dealer has now had it for 2 weeks. The good news is, they can replicate the issue by running it through their carwash. The bad news is, they have no idea how to fix it or when to expect it fixed. They will try to identify the issue by the process of elimination. At this point, I'm not very confident it will be fixed anytime soon, or at all.
Did this ever get resolved for you?

Sponsored

Skullcap

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford f150
Hi All, new to the forum, and I believe this is the right place to post my story... basically 3 dealer visits (2 separate dealers), and I am now having this happen to me for the third time... first time, towed to dealer 1, (powertrain malfunction/reduced power on fordpass) they did a bunch of updates to the system, drove fine for 2 days, happened again (no error on fordpass), Towed to dealer 1 again, they could not look at it for 3 days, when they did they said it worked fine, and as there were no errors, they could not find a problem (sat parked long enough?), So after some thought, I picked it up from there, and drove it to dealer 2, I bought truck from, expressing my concerns that this is now a untrustworthy vehicle, no piece of mind, etc etc.... they had it for 7 days, and could not duplicate the issue. got it back, put about 600kms on it, and just got home tonite and it happened again.... I did go through a carwash today. I cannot tell you the timing on Carwashes vs the first 2 times it happened, but I certainly had it washed. hoping someone has some input, better than the dealers

Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power IMG_7237.PNG

Attachments

Spenc3

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
Hey all.
Just bought a brand new 2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost. I think it had like 16 miles on it when I drove off the lot. Didn't put but 80 additional miles on it before the first problem.
I'll try and keep this short - early one morning, I drove off to work - during a mild snow event. Thought to myself - great time to test out the 4-wheel drive mode. Switched the drive mode to Snow/Sand -essentially 4w-hi. I needed to, the side roads were about 5in of snow. Then I quickly see a "on board power fault" message on the screen - asking me if I wanted to reset - I opted to do nothing and it seemed like in a split second the message was gone - my focus was elsewhere obviously.
Then right afterwards I see an check engine light on the dash. Wasn't thinking a happy thought at that moment but figured I'd look into once i get to work - after all the truck was driving fine and saw no other issue.

Once I get to work I check Ford Pass and it reads : powertrain malfunction/reduced power

I call the dealer and my salesman seemed confused and said check it again in 24hr and see if it clears. I thought that was a funny answer but brushed it aside and went back to work. On the way home, sure enough the code was gone and it drove fine the whole way back. Drove the truck for about 20 mile the next day (SAT) and no codes.
But back to work Monday morning, the code came back (this time dry roads). found it odd it came back at the exact spot as last time (about 1000ft from my house). But this time the code stayed on the whole day - Took it the dealer the following day.

They seemed flustered and confused, but about 24hours later they finally told me that they found and ordered a bad GEAR SHIFT MODULE. It would take about 5days to get. Currently driving a loaner.

I went from a Mercedes to my first F150, to say that right now I'm regretting that decision is an understatement.

Bdubbs1198

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
All electronics are subject to faults these days. My sister had a brand new Mercedes and had nothing but problems. The trim on the driver and passenger door panels didn't even match! So all mass produced cars are subject to issues.

Fm1p5d0

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Tech
New to thread. Ordered my 2022 F150 Lariat powerboost and after about 4 months of waiting for the build I picked it up last week. Same issue that some of you have posted. 40 miles on the vehicle on my way home from dealer the powertrain malfunction/ reduced power came on. They did detail the truck before I picked it up. Got hold of salesman who said when they get new vehicles random codes get thrown and to keep an eye on it. 2 days later the oil life warning came on showing 0%. I checked the dipstick and oil level was fine. Powertrain warning kept happening so it was dropped off to dealer for service this morning. Got a update from service rep that they are still trying to diagnose but think it is a faulty shifter module and case has been opened with Ford. They will call back with more information early next week.

Spenc3

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
New to thread. Ordered my 2022 F150 Lariat powerboost and after about 4 months of waiting for the build I picked it up last week. Same issue that some of you have posted. 40 miles on the vehicle on my way home from dealer the powertrain malfunction/ reduced power came on. They did detail the truck before I picked it up. Got hold of salesman who said when they get new vehicles random codes get thrown and to keep an eye on it. 2 days later the oil life warning came on showing 0%. I checked the dipstick and oil level was fine. Powertrain warning kept happening so it was dropped off to dealer for service this morning. Got a update from service rep that they are still trying to diagnose but think it is a faulty shifter module and case has been opened with Ford. They will call back with more information early next week.
That's exactly what they said my problem was, a faulty shifter module. To their credit, they replaced it and I've been trouble-free since. I did have different symptoms than you, but that's what they claimed. Had to wait about a week for the part. But the truck has been running great ever since. Hopefully it stays that way.
Sponsored