Sponsored

Powerboost vibration and other frustrating issues...

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL Powerboost FX4
Hi all,

I'm almost to 14,000mi on my '22 XL Powerboost and while I'm going to keep trying to convince myself I like the truck, I'm starting to think its a piece of crap.

First 3000 miles it drive smooth and then out of the blue started getting a weird, almost gritty, vibration that I mostly felt through the gas pedal but its slowly gotten worse and now kinda feel it through the whole truck. When I put on brand new winter tires and rims it had no effect, vibration was still there.

Have had it to the dealer twice, first time they did nothing, second time they did a software update that was suppose address vibration issues. They test drove it and said it was fine and just had "normal" vibration. Yeah, its not like a crazy strong vibration but it wasn't there when I bought the truck. Well, vibration is still there and whatever they did to the software, the truck is shifting awful now. Getting a pretty harsh downshift, particularly into 1st, 6th, and 8th. I also feel like the truck pulses now, like when I touch the gas pedal or take foot off of it, the truck lurches. Also when using cruise control, its not super smooth, again it seems to pulse a little bit.

So now with the transmission issues due to the software "update", I'm really quite frustrated driving the dang thing. Havent yet had time to take it back to the dealer, AGAIN.

Also, went in to get the windshield wiper motor recall issue dealt with and I was told that since there is a shortage of the parts that they won't fix it until it actually breaks! So I guess FORD is ok with me getting into a potentially unsafe situation if the wiper motor goes out.

Last summer I also was having an irregular issues where the AC would all of a sudden start blowing hot air. This has happened a 3-4 times. I've found I have to pull over, turn off the ac, shut of the engine, then start the engine and seems to resolve the issue. Of course I mentioned it to the dealer but its irregular so it of course worked when I had it in that time.

There are obviously a few things I do like about the truck but at the end of the day all the problems Im already having and the lack of any real help from FORD make it frustrating to drive and makes me feel like it aint going to last long. Is the business plan to just deny problems until after my warranty expires?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me rant.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi all,

I'm almost to 14,000mi on my '22 XL Powerboost and while I'm going to keep trying to convince myself I like the truck, I'm starting to think its a piece of crap.

First 3000 miles it drive smooth and then out of the blue started getting a weird, almost gritty, vibration that I mostly felt through the gas pedal but its slowly gotten worse and now kinda feel it through the whole truck. When I put on brand new winter tires and rims it had no effect, vibration was still there.

Have had it to the dealer twice, first time they did nothing, second time they did a software update that was suppose address vibration issues. They test drove it and said it was fine and just had "normal" vibration. Yeah, its not like a crazy strong vibration but it wasn't there when I bought the truck. Well, vibration is still there and whatever they did to the software, the truck is shifting awful now. Getting a pretty harsh downshift, particularly into 1st, 6th, and 8th. I also feel like the truck pulses now, like when I touch the gas pedal or take foot off of it, the truck lurches. Also when using cruise control, its not super smooth, again it seems to pulse a little bit.

So now with the transmission issues due to the software "update", I'm really quite frustrated driving the dang thing. Havent yet had time to take it back to the dealer, AGAIN.

Also, went in to get the windshield wiper motor recall issue dealt with and I was told that since there is a shortage of the parts that they won't fix it until it actually breaks! So I guess FORD is ok with me getting into a potentially unsafe situation if the wiper motor goes out.

Last summer I also was having an irregular issues where the AC would all of a sudden start blowing hot air. This has happened a 3-4 times. I've found I have to pull over, turn off the ac, shut of the engine, then start the engine and seems to resolve the issue. Of course I mentioned it to the dealer but its irregular so it of course worked when I had it in that time.

There are obviously a few things I do like about the truck but at the end of the day all the problems Im already having and the lack of any real help from FORD make it frustrating to drive and makes me feel like it aint going to last long. Is the business plan to just deny problems until after my warranty expires?

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Hi all,

If and when you do go back to the dealer, please let me know the outcome. Going through a VERY similar situation with the "vibration - shaking". Ive had the truck for a little over 60 days, 20 of which it has now been with the dealer,, all i am getting back from them is we are waiting for Ford to tell us what to do. So far, tires rotated and road force balanced 3X's, then completely replaced. Very slight improvement but not fixed.
MY22 Lariat, 157", 5.0, 4x4, 20" Pirelli's

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
My truck has the same exact issues with the AC blowing hot air but of course I was never able to duplicate it for the dealership. The rear end shimmy that has been looked at twice by different shops and they keep giving me the same BS conclusion that it's normal.

OP
OP

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update: Got it scheduled to get looked at again, by my local Ford dealer next week.

The truck runs remarkably worse since I got the updated control software which was supposed to fix the vibration issue. Now I got a transmission issue. Great, thanks FORD!

BTW, local dealer shop is great, all the mechanics are top notch. Latest issue seems to be directly related to the software update? Doesn't give me great hope for longevity of this otherwise nicely engineering truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So the dealer spent some time trying to work out my transmission issue. Said they drove it 40 miles, reset the programming or such like 7 times to get it to start working better.

However, despite all this, vehicle still shifts poorly and now my mpg seems to have gone down. I can barely top 20mpg even when taking it really easy. Transmission/clutch issue really frustrating. Still shifts hard going up and down, sometimes even makes the truck lurch forward a bit. When coasting it will sometimes down shift for no apparent reason, causing the truck to engine break at a time when the truck should clearly be coasting.

Seeing as I only have 14000 mi on it at this point at the dealer can't seem to even tune it properly, I have very little faith that this vehicle is going to last. Seems like it will be a money pit if I drive this past the warranty. Ready to start looking at my options with how to move on from this thing. Really had hoped to make it work, especially since I have like 5grand invested in accessories including second set of wheels and snow tires, but seems like I should cut my losses before it gets worse.

OP
OP

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot to mention, the electric motor seems to be developing a sort of "pulse" feeling to it, no longer is running smooth. Also notice this when using cruise control.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So the dealer spent some time trying to work out my transmission issue. Said they drove it 40 miles, reset the programming or such like 7 times to get it to start working better.

However, despite all this, vehicle still shifts poorly and now my mpg seems to have gone down. I can barely top 20mpg even when taking it really easy. Transmission/clutch issue really frustrating. Still shifts hard going up and down, sometimes even makes the truck lurch forward a bit. When coasting it will sometimes down shift for no apparent reason, causing the truck to engine break at a time when the truck should clearly be coasting.

Seeing as I only have 14000 mi on it at this point at the dealer can't seem to even tune it properly, I have very little faith that this vehicle is going to last. Seems like it will be a money pit if I drive this past the warranty. Ready to start looking at my options with how to move on from this thing. Really had hoped to make it work, especially since I have like 5grand invested in accessories including second set of wheels and snow tires, but seems like I should cut my losses before it gets worse.
Hey there! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to see what I can do to assist with your powerboost repairs.

OP
OP

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:

I contacted the dealer I originally purchase the vehicle from, Wilson Motors in Corvallis Oregon, to ask what my next step with addressing my vehicles issues should be. They were no help at all. They basically told me to contact FORD directly, and when I asked if they had a phone number to call, they told me NO! What awful customer service.

So I managed to find FORD's number from their website, and after explaining my main issue and giving all my info to the customer service person they told me that they can only offer assistance if the truck is currently sitting at the dealer! So again, no help from FORD either.

I promptly went to my local dealer and scheduled another appointment to have they try and fix the transmission. Luckily they got me scheduled within a week.

Really hoping to get some resolution soon because it's really pissing me off driving such a poorly running truck while paying a huge monthly payment. Don't see any way I could even sell the truck at this point without taking a huge loss on it, it shifts terribly.

I understand any make and model of truck can have issues but the lack of FORD's ability to help remedy this issue is unforgivable.

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
What a bummer, I have an appointment this Friday to see if I can get this taken care of once and for all.

Sponsored

tsd98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
My 2022 PowerBoost with 26k also exhibits the grinding and vibration noise and feel through the pedals. This is in addition to the rattling and popping exhaust components that make this thing sound like someone’s playing the cymbals underneath the truck, especially when the ICE cycles on or off, or even if someone opens or closes a door!

Does anyone think the resonance/vibration could be related to all of the loose and rattling exhaust components? I listed the exhaust rattles and popping to the dealer when I had my truck in for the heat exchanger leak last time. They acknowledged but said there weren’t any known fixes. In addition the audio system or sync is making intermittent electrical noises like static or something that sounds like a zipper?

I’d like to get these issues fixed but don’t want to drop the truck off and pay for a rental while it sits at the dealer if the problems can’t be fixed. I was out $1,000s in rental and Uber costs with my 2019 Ecoboost/10-speed due to down time at the dealer. This is the 8th F-150 I’ve purchased in a row and probably my favorite, but the problems this early on are alarming.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
My 2022 PowerBoost with 26k also exhibits the grinding and vibration noise and feel through the pedals. This is in addition to the rattling and popping exhaust components that make this thing sound like someone’s playing the cymbals underneath the truck, especially when the ICE cycles on or off, or even if someone opens or closes a door!

Does anyone think the resonance/vibration could be related to all of the loose and rattling exhaust components? I listed the exhaust rattles and popping to the dealer when I had my truck in for the heat exchanger leak last time. They acknowledged but said there weren’t any known fixes. In addition the audio system or sync is making intermittent electrical noises like static or something that sounds like a zipper?

I’d like to get these issues fixed but don’t want to drop the truck off and pay for a rental while it sits at the dealer if the problems can’t be fixed. I was out $1,000s in rental and Uber costs with my 2019 Ecoboost/10-speed due to down time at the dealer. This is the 8th F-150 I’ve purchased in a row and probably my favorite, but the problems this early on are alarming.
My gas pedal grinds / vibrates at times even when coasting downhill or driving in EV. Is the exhaust system active at all in EV?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hey there. I can look into your F-150’s concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

JPLkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Hey there. I can look into your F-150’s concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
I am experiencing the same issues as this. Dealership says they felt it too but it's "normal" with the AC on. No vibration if AC is off. Like wtfF??
How can this account help?

OP
OP

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am experiencing the same issues as this. Dealership says they felt it too but it's "normal" with the AC on. No vibration if AC is off. Like wtfF??
How can this account help?
I've contacted FORD directly before and they were of no help at all, was just a giant waste of time.

My 2022 "ProblemBoost" is such a POS. My most recent issue started with a check engine light, was told I needed a new alternator. After waiting for 3 months for the alternator to arrive (check engine light on this entire time), finally got it installed last week. Had maybe two days with the CEL off and voila its on again! Tried using the generator mode yesterday and the engine ran for way longer than it normally does.

Oh yeah and after having the dealer work on adjusting the transmission half a dozen times it still shifts very rough.

I'm nearing the end of my bumper to bumper warranty and really unsure what to do with this truck. If I get rid of it I'll take a huge loss plus the service log is extensive so no one in their right mind would buy it. In the two years Ive owned this thing its been in the shop more times than all the other rigs I've owned for the past 25 years combined.
Sponsored