First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited
Occupation
Race Car Fabrication
Looking for any updated information; 2021 Powerboost, 55,000 miles, P084B code. The truck has recently developed a problem that is getting worse. The code started setting only when towing (7K#) on hot days and at the end of long climbs. There were no drivability issues. Dealer tried a pressure sensor replacement. That did not fix it. Problem got worse. Code still only set when towing. Still sets a code at the end of long climbs. But also started setting codes towing on flat roads and lower temperatures. And once the transmission locked into 4th gear at 60 mph and wouldn’t shift for about a minute. Dealers next repair was to replace Hybrid drive/torque converter assembly. Problem not fixed. Still setting codes and locked into 3rd gear at speed for 15 minutes. Dealer now says the Ford engineers have identified the problem and that hundreds of Powerboost trucks of all years have the problem. Engineers say it is a calibration problem and that it will take a month to write new calibration tables. They say the transmission locking into gear is a safety feature. Parking the truck and letting it cool down returns functionality to the transmission. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any fixes out there?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
According to Ford, hundreds of us are experiencing this. 😳

Ford F-150 Powerboost P084B Transmission Code Screenshot_20230913_181803_OneDrive

Last edited:

matsperzak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford F-150 PowerBoost, 08 Porsche 911 Turbo
I've been getting it intermittently the last 6 weeks, did a huge road trip (only hauling a dirt bike in the bed and a hitch rack with 3 bikes on it). Not a ton of weight, warning only popping up at speeds over 70-75+ mph. I'm at 42k miles and drove 4k+ miles over the last 5 weeks, came up 80% of the drives we were at highway speeds. No other driving symptoms other than bad MPG

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Looking for any updated information; 2021 Powerboost, 55,000 miles, P084B code. The truck has recently developed a problem that is getting worse. The code started setting only when towing (7K#) on hot days and at the end of long climbs. There were no drivability issues. Dealer tried a pressure sensor replacement. That did not fix it. Problem got worse. Code still only set when towing. Still sets a code at the end of long climbs. But also started setting codes towing on flat roads and lower temperatures. And once the transmission locked into 4th gear at 60 mph and wouldn’t shift for about a minute. Dealers next repair was to replace Hybrid drive/torque converter assembly. Problem not fixed. Still setting codes and locked into 3rd gear at speed for 15 minutes. Dealer now says the Ford engineers have identified the problem and that hundreds of Powerboost trucks of all years have the problem. Engineers say it is a calibration problem and that it will take a month to write new calibration tables. They say the transmission locking into gear is a safety feature. Parking the truck and letting it cool down returns functionality to the transmission. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any fixes out there?
I just had this same problem except that I did not noticed any engine or transmission performance issues. Just got back from a 2200 mile trip towing a travel trailer approx. weight of 4700lbs no hot weather. The notification and Wrench would appear after about 50 miles of driving. When I turned the truck off, the wrench did not come back until after about 50 miles again. Happened pretty much every time except for a few occasions when it did not come on for a hundred miles or so.

Additionally, first day home without the trailer I got a different "four wheel drive" pop up and the wrench icon. Took it into the dealer next day. Dealer pulled these codes - P084B and a U2100. Mechanic "performed pinpoint diag for code U2100 and performed re programming on IPC". Mechanic drove the vehicle while "monitoring the the engine disconnect pressure sensor"; he "verified electric and gas engine responding as per the pin point test". "No codes returned." "found battery had low voltage/charge state". I replaced the battery. This was yesterday. No more codes but also no towing yet and I have only driven it about 8 miles.

OP
OP

maecomotorsport

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited
Occupation
Race Car Fabrication
Latest update: after the last 1000 mile trip, not towing and with no codes, I got a check engine warning and “pull over safely now”. The engine died and would not restart. After letting it sit for 20 minutes, the truck started and drove 5 more miles before repeating the failure. 20 more minutes waiting and it restarted and got me the last 1 mile to home. Pulled codes P2884 and P2885 hybrid clutch failure. It’s been at the dealer now for a month waiting for a transmission auxiliary pump, which seems to be unavailable. I’ve now checked off every box on why the Powerboost F150 is the 3rd least reliable vehicle sold in the USA.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm surprised that it's the auxiliary pump. And surprised that's taking so long to get too.

If ONLY the auxiliary pump was an issue, the truck would run fine with the ICE on. Which on turn means Tow/Haul would get you around as well.
I sure hope that pump shows up and it turns out that was behind all the codes and alerts.

matsperzak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford F-150 PowerBoost, 08 Porsche 911 Turbo
Update on mine, I took mine to a major dealer and Denver and they said they ran full diagnostics on my transmission and everything checked out. They said bc I removed my air electronic air dam it could be causing it, lol. I've had the air dam removed for 40k miles and have done many long road trips through the mountains without the code and now it's reoccuring. Won't be going back to them. I continue to get the code intermittently, always when towing or hauling dirt bikes/snowmobiles (not towing any crazy weights, my sled deck with 2 machines is just under 2k lbs). Still no big issues other than the wrench popping up and throwing same code, it hasn't locked up on me or anything.

maeco's update is quite concerning. What are the 1st and 2nd most unreliable cars? lol. sorry to hear about your situation

OP
OP

maecomotorsport

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited
Occupation
Race Car Fabrication
Consumer Reports most unreliable:
#1 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
#2 Volkswagen Taos
#3 F-150 Hybrid. : 19 points on a scale of 1-100. Low is bad. 19 is very low. “In theory, a hybrid Ford F-150 should give you all the benefits of a gas-powered pickup truck, only with better fuel economy. Unfortunately for owners, with a score of 19, it’s also given them plenty of reliability headaches. Trouble areas include the transmission, electric system, battery, electrical accessories, drive system, in-car electronics and noises/leaks.”
Sponsored